Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best shocks these days for a smooth comfortable ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just remember that you get what you pay for.

IMO, if $$ for parts and such is so big of an issue that you can't spare an extra $100-200 for quality parts, then you're in the wrong game. and you definitely shouldn't have purchased an LT1 w/170K miles... If $435 is a "ton" of $$ to you, wtf are you going to do when that 170K mile tranny or rear-end decides to take a crap? Or, hell, even the engine for that matter?

While I'm not on baller status like some of the folks on here, I understand that if I want quality parts that are going to perform and last, then I'm going to need to shell out a few extra bucks.

Just my $.02, and I'm a girl so what do I know, right?

My 01 SS is in need of shocks/struts and probably springs, as well and seeing what everyone else has said...I think I'm def. going to be hitting Sam up, soon.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through the engine and its going to last me a long time. If the tranny takes a crap I'll just rebuild it. Rebuild kits are less than shocks for these cars.
Anyway I got a good deal on 4 new KYB GR2's for $160 so thats what I have coming. I'll see how they work out. They have to be better than whats on there now and if they dont ride godly I'll be fine with that.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

since nobody is replying to my thread, what is a better shock, the gr-2 or the gas-a-just

i can get them for around the same price but i dont know which ones are actually better.. im not looking for performance, i just dont want my car smashing my head against the steering wheel when i run over an ant
Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

The gas adjust are better. The GR2's I bought are basically a stock replacement. Maybe a little better.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
I just went through the engine and its going to last me a long time. If the tranny takes a crap I'll just rebuild it. Rebuild kits are less than shocks for these cars.
Anyway I got a good deal on 4 new KYB GR2's for $160 so thats what I have coming. I'll see how they work out. They have to be better than whats on there now and if they dont ride godly I'll be fine with that.
I have driven a buddies car that has KYBs.. he loves them. I thought they were ok. I have had bilsteens and KYB AGX's (better on my setup than his).... liked them both. It comes down to what you want man. I am sure you will find it. Just look!

Last edited by ItsGone97; 05-08-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Are gas-adjusts another name for the AGX?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

I got kyb gas adj and i love them. They work great on lowered car to i got eibach pro kit. The gr2 will be fine to. And the gas adj are a tad bit higher that the agx
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

I love people that ask for advice, get good advice from many people, then ignore it.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

No they are two different shocks the gas adj adjust themselves to how you drive and the agx have a **** on the bottom that i think has 7 or 10 different settings.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmilz28
I love people that ask for advice, get good advice from many people, then ignore it.
read his first post again:

"I cannot spend anymore than $350 for shocks."

all of the shocks recommended to him were over $350

edit* if you go to a car dealership looking for a $15,000 car, and you tell the sales person that, and all he shows you re cars that cost $25,000 what are you gonna do?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PONTIACTRANSAM94
I got kyb gas adj and i love them. They work great on lowered car to i got eibach pro kit. The gr2 will be fine to. And the gas adj are a tad bit higher that the agx
The gas adjust are better. The GR2's I bought are basically a stock replacement. Maybe a little better.
thanks for the help guys

since the gas adj's sit higher, should i get lowering springs? or will it sit at a somewhat stock height?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

This threads been hijacked anyway. $350 was the most I could spend and everyone keeps recommending all the most expensive ones. I got a good deal and I will have a little money left over for a few other things I need for the car. I'll post back about how it rides compared to now. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

This threads been hijacked anyway. $350 was the most I could spend and everyone keeps recommending all the most expensive ones. I got a good deal and I will have a little money left over for a few other things I need for the car. I'll post back about how it rides compared to now. Thanks.
Good for you... it sucks how the most expensive products are incessantly pushed on you doesnt it? Its almost as if they want all of us to buy the most expensive ones... haha wierd!! Let us know how your new shocks work out!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Koni's are supposed to be the best but they are overpriced. For some reason I dont think this thread is done yet.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Koni's are supposed to be the best but they are overpriced. For some reason I dont think this thread is done yet.

HAHA>... I dont know where you get that idea.... lol. It came at a good time... almost to good if you ask me.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

good for you OP thinking outside the box not letting everyone spend more money for you then you want to like its theres...let us know how it rides
Old 05-08-2009, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Spending alot of money on suspension is kinda pointless, unless road racing. I was in the same boat i wanted a good shock but didnt want to spend what koni cost, so i bought kyb gas adj they are higher than gr2 but gr2 great shocks.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

PONTIACTRANSAM94;11564602]Spending alot of money on suspension is kinda pointless, unless road racing
Exactly why I bought the Gr2's. This is just a regular car that happens to be a little more fun to drive than your everyday Honda.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by PONTIACTRANSAM94
Spending alot of money on suspension is kinda pointless, unless road racing. I was in the same boat i wanted a good shock but didnt want to spend what koni cost, so i bought kyb gas adj they are higher than gr2 but gr2 great shocks.
Holy crap...

First of all the car has NO IDEA where it's being driven. Shocks damp mass (which the car has a set amount of), springs (same), and deals with road surfaces. It has no idea if you are "road racing". I know where you are headed with this, and that's to say if you don't race and don't care that much about handling then why have really good shocks. I agree.... but your logic is flawed because you seem to thing that good shocks are reserved for those that compete when they are really used for anyone who wants the best working car.

And for the record driving a car on GR2's (which ARE gas charged too people....) is like driving an LS1 car around and never using more than half the power. You could drive a Honda and get that level of performance. That might suit some just fine. I buy performance cars, and the parts that go onto cars with a performance result in mind. Not everyone does. And fwiw, I'm not adverse to other shocks. My bottom line though is Tokico the KYB's are junk in the long run.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Holy crap...

First of all the car has NO IDEA where it's being driven. Shocks damp mass (which the car has a set amount of), springs (same), and deals with road surfaces. It has no idea if you are "road racing". I know where you are headed with this, and that's to say if you don't race and don't care that much about handling then why have really good shocks. I agree.... but your logic is flawed because you seem to thing that good shocks are reserved for those that compete when they are really used for anyone who wants the best working car.

And for the record driving a car on GR2's (which ARE gas charged too people....) is like driving an LS1 car around and never using more than half the power. You could drive a Honda and get that level of performance. That might suit some just fine. I buy performance cars, and the parts that go onto cars with a performance result in mind. Not everyone does. And fwiw, I'm not adverse to other shocks. My bottom line though is Tokico the KYB's are junk in the long run.

Shocking... I would have bet my life savings it wouldnt be 24 hours before the great one came in and started telling everyone they dont know their *** from a hole in the ground and how they should spend their money... have fun boys.

Quick Reply: Best shocks these days for a smooth comfortable ride