Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drivers Side Caliper Hanging Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivers Side Caliper Hanging Up

Got another question for you guys. Whenever I jack my car up on the front drivers side I notice that the wheel is hard to turn (it doesnt spin freely like it should). The caliper is obviously hanging. Do you guys think this could be due to a bad brake line? Also, do you think this could cause abnormal tire wear? I am on my last nerve with this car so any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

It can be the brake line. With the wheel up and stiff crack open the bleeder screw. If the wheel instantly frees up again it's the line. It's possible to cause abnormal tire wear but I think you would use up that brake before you noticed the tire wore out early. If the wheel still is stiff check out the caliper slide pins for dry or corroded bores. You should be able to compress the pistons back into the caliper with a large screw driver prying through the hole on top while it's still mounted to the rotor or with a clamping tool against an old pad off the rotor. If the caliper checks out good suspect the rotor being warped or the wheel bearing.

Vernon
Old 05-17-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm betting it's the caliper pins. They are either dry and not sliding properly or completely frozen. I just went through this same issue. Pull the pins out, clean them and the bores, lube em' up and reassemble, might as well replace the rubber boots while your at it.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

I was thinking it was the caliper pins as well, I'll have to get in there and check. What I am really worried about is the abnormal tire wear on the inner side of the drivers tire. I had it aligned properly at the best shop in the tri-state area, and they told me that its the belts in the tires causing the car to pull to the side and what not. Tomorrow I will try to swap the tires and see if the car pulls the other way. The only variable other than the tires that I could see causing the problem is the brakes, and thats why I asked. Thanks for all of your help thus far.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've powder coated at least 50 sets of ls1 fbody calipers/brackets at this point and I've had quite a few come in with the pins frozen solid in the brackets, mostly from the good old rust belt midwest lol. Typically I have to put the bracket in a bench vice and heat the bracket and pin with a torch for awhile in order to get the pins out once they are corroded in there like that. I had one set that was impossible, the pins had become part of the bracket and the customer had to find himself another set of brackets to send me.

Quick Reply: Drivers Side Caliper Hanging Up