Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Thinking of Replacing Strano's for Eibach's

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thinking of Replacing Strano's for Eibach's

Hey, jus' looking for advice on this subject: (I plan on swapping out the fronts and not the rears.) I've been riding on Strano's for jus' under two years and the ride quality is a bit harsh. I knew this going into swapping springs as I was more concerned with looks than comfort. I was riding on stock shocks as I was saving up money for Koni's. I jus' recently swapped in some Koni's and the ride quality is still too harsh for me. I have the front Koni's set at 4 sweeps from full firm and the rears set on full soft. The roads in Chicago are pretty bad and I cringe everytime I go over rough areas, which is pretty consistent throughout Chicago. Now, here's my question: Given that the spring rate for the front Strano's are 550 and the Eibach Sportlines are 360, would that mean that the ride quality would be less harsh? I also like that the front Sportlines allow for a bigger drop (1.4-1.6), (which is the reason why I'll be keeping the rear Strano's in - for a Raked look.) So whatcha guy's think? What would be the Pro's and Con's of each?
Old 05-20-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well in my opinion, when I've driven over REAL bad roads like some of the roads in Fall River then I don't think it matters what kind of spring you have. Those roads just plain hurt. Luckily I don't have to drive on those roads too often. If I did, then I'd want a truck. I'd imagine those roads are either similar to the ones I'm describing, or we just have different ride quality preferences. I would think the sportline springs will only make the ride quality worse. Less travel, lower springrate doesn't seem like what you'd want. I'd probably go with stock springs.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try setting the front Koni SA a couple of sweeps softer, and repeat until your content with the ride quality, or run out of adjustment.
FYI,
You would be correct about the 360lb.in. springs offering a softer ride compared to 550lb.in. springs, if both were at stock ride height.
But, with virtually no suspension travel the sportline 360lb.in. is rather meaningless since the spring rate of the bump stops is also a factor in the overall spring rate.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 05-21-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Try setting the front Koni SA a couple of sweeps softer, and repeat until your content with the ride quality, or run our of adjustment.
FYI,
You would be correct about the 360lb.in. springs offering a softer ride compared to 550lb.in. springs, if both were at stock ride height.
But, with virtually no suspension travel the sportline 360lb.in. is rather meaningless since the spring rate of the bump stops is also a factor in the overall spring rate.
Ah, gotcha. I'll try adjusting the settings but ain't I jus' adjusting the rebound?
Old 05-21-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Well in my opinion, when I've driven over REAL bad roads like some of the roads in Fall River then I don't think it matters what kind of spring you have. Those roads just plain hurt. Luckily I don't have to drive on those roads too often. If I did, then I'd want a truck. I'd imagine those roads are either similar to the ones I'm describing, or we just have different ride quality preferences. I would think the sportline springs will only make the ride quality worse. Less travel, lower springrate doesn't seem like what you'd want. I'd probably go with stock springs.

Yea, it seems the whole city is jacked up! I don't think I'd go back to stock springs - I like the lowered look. Too bad you can't get the best of both worlds.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
the ride quality is still too harsh for me.
You don't know harsh till you've run Eibachs.

If you bought a TA (and refer to it as "Batmobile") and complain about a stiff ride, maybe you should consider a Buick or Mercury and use the name "Catwoman" instead.
These are performance cars. With performance comes a healthy serving of harshness with a occasional side of finicky. It comes with the territory.
/soapbox

You compared rates. You didn't compare free heights.

If both Stranos and eibachs have the same free height and you apply the same weight to each spring (your car), one spring being 550lb/in and the other being 360lb/in, doesn't it stand to reason the 360 spring will compress MORE?

And what happens when it compresses MORE?

LESS ride height, LESS clearance and LESS suspension travel. So you can either ride on 550 springs or the bump stops. NOW define "harsh" ...

Last edited by mitchntx; 05-21-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Launching!

going from stranos to sportlines will make the ride worse
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

I think it's pretty amusing when folks what to lower their car and make it ride like stock. Even more so when they have their front shocks, which have a huge range of adjustment, set at half-stiff.

Mitch is right on the money.

Let's not consider a change in damping to see what happens. Let's not consider that any lowering spring takes working travel from the suspension. Let's just jump right to all the work involved in changing springs--and in this case to a set that will put you onto the bumpstops harder and more often.

If you want to change springs then Pro-kit would be better than Sportlines. They are 400 and not as low as Sportlines. But considering how many change the other way from Eibach to mine, and report improvements I don't think that's a particularly wise idea.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I think it's pretty amusing when folks what to lower their car and make it ride like stock. Even more so when they have their front shocks, which have a huge range of adjustment, set at half-stiff.

Let's not consider a change in damping to see what happens. Let's not consider that any lowering spring takes working travel from the suspension. Let's just jump right to all the work involved in changing springs--and in this case to a set that will put you onto the bumpstops harder and more often.

If you want to change springs then Pro-kit would be better than Sportlines. They are 400 and not as low as Sportlines. But considering how many change the other way from Eibach to mine, and report improvements I don't think that's a particularly wise idea.
Yes from what i understand, you would be moving in the complete wrong direction. But i have a set of Eibach Pro's im considering getting rid of. They are almost new PM me for a price if your interested.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think swaping out the Strano's for the eibacks would be a big mistake, If you go lower your bad roads are going to create even more problems with ground clearance and with the softer spring rate will have even a greater neg effect on ride quality, stay with the Stano's
Old 05-21-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea, I was preparing myself by putting my flame suit on. Thanks for your responses. It jus' seems that talking about Strano springs and comparing them to a different spring will cause a meltdown. Even those threads concerning Koni's also.

I was aware that lowering it will provide me with a harsher ride. If I lived in another area - or even in the suburbs of Chicago - they will be jus' fine for me. This is more of an environmental factor. The fact that the roads over here are really crappy lately, (getting progressively worse), is making me think of changing my setup.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2...-potholesdec30

Check out these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN71V-V7F18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJYeZ6lfydU

Stories about potholes are becoming more and more common. It was said that last year had the worst we've seen in a decade and now they are saying that it is even worse this year.

This is also coming from a city that is voting to keep the potholes and horrible roads as a means of deterring speed and "calming" traffic. Basically Todd Stroger (Cook County Board President) is spending money elsewhere where it is not needed and claiming we don't have the money to spend on roads. While he raised the Chicago tax rate to 10.25%!!! The highest in the nation! (End Rant)

So anyways, Sportlines would ride worse because it'll hit the bump stops harder. How bout DMS or the Pro-kit? I had a friend do the JasonWW Upper Mount Mod which allows for more suspension travel.

Last edited by 02TransAm/Batmobile; 05-21-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Oh geez ... did Nostradamos predict that Sam and I would agree on something?

I think that is twice now ... you are slipping, Sam.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

For what it's worth, I have the eibach pro-kit springs up front with koni SA's. Not quite as low as sportlines and a little stiffer. They hit the bumpstops on even moderately rough stuff but adjusting shocks a little firmer did help (about where yours are now). I've been considering getting the Strano fronts. It's a whole different problem when you're slamming onto the stops. It gets pretty wild. Maybe 400lb springs would be enough with a little more travel like with the upper spring mount mod? Or stock height of course. If I get the higher rate springs you're welcome to try my front eibachs if you're still searching for the right combo. If you like them you can swap me yours for my other SS. All I know is I'm definately ready to give up a little smoothness to avoid the bump stop thing. Hate to see you get sportlines and be in the same boat.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mitchntx
You don't know harsh till you've run Eibachs.

You compared rates. You didn't compare free heights.

If both Stranos and eibachs have the same free height and you apply the same weight to each spring (your car), one spring being 550lb/in and the other being 360lb/in, doesn't it stand to reason the 360 spring will compress MORE?

And what happens when it compresses MORE?

LESS ride height, LESS clearance and LESS suspension travel. So you can either ride on 550 springs or the bump stops. NOW define "harsh" ...
Lol, exactly. I've been trying to walk that same line with my car. H&R Races lower it to the point that it "looks" great but the spring rate and drop kill my front end geometry, the rear is on the bumpstops and every crack in the pavement rattles my fillings. I've settled with a moderate drop (steeda competition springs), moderate weight springs and huge swaybars (1.5'' front/1'' rear) to compensate. It looks good (not as good as a 2'' drop which is what I prefer but the sacrifice you have to make), and handles GREAT with zero body roll and plenty of travel. I've found a "common ground" so to speak... now if I only had the money to notch the frame and spindles... or air-ride.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the front Koni's set at 4 sweeps from full firm and the rears set on full soft.
This is your problem...go more firm on both front and back...I had similar experince on I80 here in Cali and I upped the firmness on the Konis and it's fantastic! I'm at two sweep from full firm on the fronts and 1.5 turns from full soft on the back.

What's probably happening is your feeling the bump stops in the back making it more harsh...firming up the Koni's helps reduce the frequency you'll hit the bumpr stops. Try it...it's free right?

Feel's great on the road.

Last edited by z28ss4me; 05-22-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya seriously dude I just took off my eibachs today. CAUSE THEY SUCK. Strano's spring rate is a lot higher and just more suitable. I'm going to sell my eibachs and buy ground control coilovers and konis .
Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, gotcha. I'll try adjusting the settings but ain't I jus' adjusting the rebound?
No, I'm pretty sure your adjusting the overal damping, on compression and rebound. Single adjustable just means your adjusting both at once, whereas double adjustable lets you adjust rebound and compression seperately.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
No, I'm pretty sure your adjusting the overal damping, on compression and rebound. Single adjustable just means your adjusting both at once, whereas double adjustable lets you adjust rebound and compression seperately.
Nope. Wrong.

Koni SA = adjustment of rebound only (top of shock), compression is not affected by any adjustments
Koni DA = separate adjustments for rebound (top of shock) and compression (**** at bottom of shock)
Old 05-22-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I really doubt going more firm is going to improve the ride quality on the Koni's.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

The sportlines suck in my opinion. My dad just bought TA that has sportlines on them, and if you think the ride is harsh with the Strano springs then you're gunna hate the sportlines. They have barely an travel in them so you hit the bumptops with almost any bump hit.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Replacing Strano's for Eibach's