Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I trimmed my front springs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I trimmed my front springs.

just wanted to share. first let me say, there is definitely no substitute for proper lowering springs. there are some cases that warrant it. like mine. I have an 02ss that came with the SLP supplied pro kit. well this kit sits a little lower in the back than the front. new lowering springs drop it more than I wanted. I only need about 1/2'' -3/4''. I trimmed one full coil off the bottom of the spring using a very thin cutting wheel. after a few days of settling it has dropped the front exactly 5/8 of an inch. perfect. the ride is identical, i can't tell a difference. if you do it properly and are only doing a minor amount cutting your springs can be effective.

also, a little tip whenever installing the spring/strut assembly.....to make sure your saving some frustration upon reinstallation in your wheel well. before you remove your spring from the shock.....mark with a sharpie a small vertical line on the shock body just below the foot rest, then mark the first couple coils on the bottom directly above your first mark in same fashion. Then mark the top coil directly above those. using a straitline of some sort. and lastly mark the top rubber beveled head rest directly above the mark on the coil. Now upon reinstallation of the coil and all parts, line all of the marks up...and everything will slide right in your car.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to post some pics.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

before

after

Old 05-26-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks awesome man!

when i replaced my shocks, i wasnt thinking and i forgot to mark how the shock mount went on, i just took everything off then installed the new shock/spring and after i just got the spring compressors off i was like oh ****, i forgot to put it on the right way

thankfully i adjusted it, and it worked perfectly

Quick Reply: I trimmed my front springs.