Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

NOOB to Suspn. and Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NOOB to Suspn. and Brakes

alright guys ive always worried about going fast and looking good. but never went fast enough for my suspen or brakes to have that much of a deciding factor in. right now i have a 1992 Chevy Camaro convertable. im trying to make look and handle a million times better. my funds are really low so all im seeing is summitracing.com being my cheapest prices. right now im looking at a bushing kit, lowering springs from eibach, UMI tubular a-arms, UMI Panhard bar and Reloc kit, UMI TQ Arm and reloc Kit, UMI Tubular Control Arms, and a UMI Strut Tower bar. thats what im looking at suspen wise. and for the brakes. i would like to find a decent maybe a lil larger drilled rotors and a 4 piston caliper for the front and back. this car isnt gonna be a road course car or anything like that. i just dont wanna put stock back on. once a month i have about 300-400 dollars to play with so its gonna be a while. could someone help me with like a list of priorities of what i should do. please and the best company for the cheapest. thankyou all for your help heres a pic of how my car sits now. i wanna get my lowering springs like ASAP!!!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is come in with an open mind and throw out whatever you think you know about suspension. If your a noob like you mentioned, then toss out all your assumptions, figure out who the guys here are that will give you good advice, and let them help you. You should start with a blank shopping list. Throwing parts at the car isn't going to get you where you want to be. 300-400 bucks isn't going to get you a lot.. suspension is pricey and you get what you pay for.

For one thing the stock shocks on this car are junk even with stock springs. You're going to need aftermarket shocks to dampen the springs properly and in my opinion not ruin your ride quality.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can anybody throw in some input? please. i was just throwing out ideas of what i was looking. after talking to a buddy he told me not never no way run eibachs lol. can someone help me please
Old 06-01-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

300-400 A MONTH can get you pretty far. You just need to plan what you want out of the car. If you want a nice daily driver, then go into it getting everything back to working as well as the factory intended...new full set of rubber bushings, etc. Then upgrade swaybars and shocks/spring and go from there.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok. but when i do that. what do you guys recommend? just running from the crap i have now to like poly rubbers. and all the upgraded ****. or do stock to get it all back to running real good. and then upgrade. like pay double the money? did i just confuse everyone??

BTW Gun4hire. your car looks freaking sexy!!!!!!!

on another note i looked at strano springs and they dont carry springs for my 92. does anyone know if 93-97 will work on it or am i left to running with eibachs?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To be honest, I would check out thirdgen.org for more accurate advice. Your car is now, what...17 years old? A lot of your factory rubber bushing are probably rotted. I would replace them with moog components. I wouldn't go poly bushings because they tend to squeak unless you lube them constantly. Main exception being things like motor/trans mount.

thanks for the compliment. I used to drive thirdgens myself and yours looks like its been taken care of...congrats!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

thirdgen.org is a better starting place then here for your car. i got a good amout of info there when dealing with my racecar. depending on where you live, ie: road conditions, potholes, driveways, etc, i wouldnt lower your car. at least not much at all. i would never do it here where i live, for a daily driver. way to many shitty roads, speedbumps, driveways, everything.

you dont need a panhard reloc. kit unless youre running true duals. if you lower it, then an adjustable PHB is needed, but not a reloc. personally, id go with poly bushings all around. i havent gotten any squeak from mine.

stock springs are pretty tough. it takes alot to really wear them out. being 17yrs old, i dont know. id look into some new stock replacements, or maybe something a little stiffer. KYB shocks are cheap and good enough for daily driving. 35mm front sway will help, as will a 24 (i think) rear bar.

all this info and parts can be found on thirdgen.org. i got 2 swaybars off that site for about $70 total.