Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best handling setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I just don't know anyhting about suspensions. But is it better to get adjustable (off car), adjustable (on car), or non-adjustable. Or does it make that much of a difference in the goal of a good street car?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lovemy77camaro
I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I just don't know anyhting about suspensions. But is it better to get adjustable (off car), adjustable (on car), or non-adjustable. Or does it make that much of a difference in the goal of a good street car?
AFA which item?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
AFA which item?
Panhard bars and Torque Arms
Old 06-05-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, since you pretty much trying to get it to handle better and drive it on the street, let's try this...

The first three things to do with your car is:

1. Shocks
2. Shocks
3. Shocks

I know it's facetious, however be aware that the biggest crippling aspect of the stock suspension are the shocks.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Staging Lane

I've noticed that every has said shocks should be the first thing!
Old 06-05-2009, 03:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would be supprised what a difference a good set of shocks will make.Call Strano performance and talk to Sam.Get the koni's,you won't be dissapointed.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by transwiz
You would be supprised what a difference a good set of shocks will make.Call Strano performance and talk to Sam.Get the koni's,you won't be dissapointed.

Sam is only a multi SCCA champion and speced springs and swaybars for these cars. Tell him what you wanna do and he'll hook you up.

You won't be disappointed
Old 06-05-2009, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

I've noticed that every has said shocks should be the first thing!
i'll second that I DIDN'T listen to Sam and I bought all my suspension stuff for the car. Yeah it made the car "feel" a lot better tighter but now I really know how bad the shocks are. Now I am dreading my choice of doing the order I did. I have to wait for a few weeks/months to get more money in the car fund.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks for the info.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Does anybody know about this?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I DO, but it's a loaded question. Here's your first post:

I'm looking at a 2000 Z28 but after having my 3000gt VR4 the Camaro just doesn't hadle good enough at all. Just wondering what would be the best stuff to buy to make the it handle better around turns? Whats the best stuff to buy first and then make my way up slowely to a road course car?
For at least one item, the PHB I can suggest, YES, however for some other items, you may not need.

No worries. Ask away, however to be brutally honest... the worst thing you could ever do to ANY vehicle is throw mods at it all at once without knowing how suspension works and simply relying on the information others give you. Regardless of their quality and/or value it cannot correct the true experience of driving with them as they are implemented individually.

A torque arm is NOT the priority here. The shocks ARE. A lot of people around here are suggesting you to give Sam Strano a call. I'll admit that I'm one of them.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 06-05-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

What would you suggest I get if I want a good street car that hadle good and rides good? I don't know anthing about adjusting anything so...
Old 06-05-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shocks first...
Old 06-05-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw, here's that great article to get you an idea of great parts that are really hard to beat: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html
Old 06-06-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did all my suspension mods in steps.That's the way to do it.I got koni 4/3 sa shocks and the heater hose lower perch mod.(lowers the car 3/4" in front and 1/2" in the rear. Then I got a tower brace.Next was strano hollow sway bars,and so on.I drove the car in between
all the mods so I could tell the difference.Than I did bolt on subframe comnnectors.The last thing was a fays2 watts link.I thought carefully about the mods I did to my car.Me and
my friend bugged strano about what we wanted and what the next step was.This stuff requires a lot of thought and time.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I pretty much bought this:

http://umiperformance.com/FBR003?category_id=162

And all I have to say is, "Wow."
Old 06-06-2009, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Sam is only a multi SCCA champion and speced springs and swaybars for these cars. Tell him what you wanna do and he'll hook you up.

You won't be disappointed
This. Do it.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Foxxtron for all your help. I just want to know ahead of time everything I might need so I can check on prices. I'm making a wishlist with everything I want/need with prices so I need to know how much money I need to save. Thanks CranMaro99 that looks like everything that everyone says to get.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Foxxtron for all your help. I just want to know ahead of time everything I might need so I can check on prices. I'm making a wishlist with everything I want/need with prices so I need to know how much money I need to save. Thanks CranMaro99 that looks like everything that everyone says to get.
As everyone else has said, shocks first. You can see from my sig that I have the three things that make the biggest difference: springs, swaybars and shocks, I did them separately and let me tell you the shocks did the most for the car by far. I would suggest first going with koni SA's (from Stranoparts.com because he will provide setup and install info) and a set of (hopefully light weight) 17*9" wheels for 275/40/17 tires (or wide wheels if you choose to do so, just get rid of the 245s...)
Then go from there and improve on what you want next, but I will guarantee you will be satisfied with the konis.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
As everyone else has said, shocks first. You can see from my sig that I have the three things that make the biggest difference: springs, swaybars and shocks, I did them separately and let me tell you the shocks did the most for the car by far. I would suggest first going with koni SA's (from Stranoparts.com because he will provide setup and install info) and a set of (hopefully light weight) 17*9" wheels for 275/40/17 tires (or wide wheels if you choose to do so, just get rid of the 245s...)
Then go from there and improve on what you want next, but I will guarantee you will be satisfied with the konis.
Exactly. Pretty much Strano is your best friend in this area of knowledge, and will give you tons of customer service and help if you buy from him (which you should.)

Also, Strano won't try and sell you his products just to make as sale. After you talk with him, if he figures you don't actually need a specific part for what your goals are, he won't try and sell it to you.

Quick Reply: Best handling setup