Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best handling setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best handling setup

I'm looking at a 2000 Z28 but after having my 3000gt VR4 the Camaro just doesn't hadle good enough at all. Just wondering what would be the best stuff to buy to make the it handle better around turns? Whats the best stuff to buy first and then make my way up slowely to a road course car?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha welcome to the stock f-body. awd cars always handle better then us stock. Ill be the first to say strano springs and koni shocks are well worth the money and by far the best suspension upgrade for are cars.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-tech-faq.html

But in short... there are a few costly but very effective mods that these cars benefit from.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2000 t/a ws6 handles really good,But I have a lot of mods to the suspension.I have spent a good amount money on parts.Koni 4/3 sa shocks,Strano hollow sway bars,LCA's,Strut tower brace,and most of all a Watts link (fays2),Frame braces.The car kicks *** but It did cost some money.This stuff is not cheap.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:51 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up A few suggestions for you!

Originally Posted by Lovemy77camaro
I'm looking at a 2000 Z28 but after having my 3000gt VR4 the Camaro just doesn't hadle good enough at all. Just wondering what would be the best stuff to buy to make the it handle better around turns? Whats the best stuff to buy first and then make my way up slowely to a road course car?
Hello
I would suggest a set of springs and a good set of shocks! Can't really help you with either of those. But if you are going to be installing lowering springs I will be able to help you recenter the rear end. While suggesting a UMI Performance adjustable pan hard bar! And also a set of sway bars. Below is a link to show you what all we have to offer!

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=124

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=161

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

I was thinkin of putting 18's on the car what would be a good lowering spring that would give it a little drop but nothing that would make the car scrub on the tires or it the bump stops. Also I live in VA so theres lots of hills so it can't be to low? Also would like to have the smoothest ride I can but would rather have the handling.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

strano springs, koni shocks, sub-frame connectors...
Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Now wheres the best place to purchase this stuff at?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

#1 Would be Koni Shocks. #2 Strano or Hotchkis Springs. #3 Adjustable adjustable panhard bar.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinkin of putting 18's on the car... Also would like to have the smoothest ride I can but would rather have the handling.
Think twice before doing that. I've tried that before and whilst they looked nice and didn't ride too terribly bad, my braking and handling actually worsened. 18's on the rear were the big culprit due to having too little of a sidewall, which then added a little too much lateral resistance, which significantly made it difficult for me to get the optimal tyre pressure. The added rotational mass from the 18's also made my braking distances noticeably worse.

The 17" wheels don't always appear very attractive, however I have found the 17x9 or 17x11 to function best when it comes to performance vs. comfort. Plus even with some tyres that have very stiff sidewalls, I have found them much more comfortable than 18's with a medium stiffness tyre sidewall.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

Over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good luck and ask lots of question but have a goal in mind it helps them get you where you wanna be.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Think twice before doing that. I've tried that before and whilst they looked nice and didn't ride too terribly bad, my braking and handling actually worsened. 18's on the rear were the big culprit due to having too little of a sidewall, which then added a little too much lateral resistance, which significantly made it difficult for me to get the optimal tyre pressure. The added rotational mass from the 18's also made my braking distances noticeably worse.

The 17" wheels don't always appear very attractive, however I have found the 17x9 or 17x11 to function best when it comes to performance vs. comfort. Plus even with some tyres that have very stiff sidewalls, I have found them much more comfortable than 18's with a medium stiffness tyre sidewall.
I guess this make sence but I don't know if I like 17s all that well. Guess it comes down to performance over style on this issue. I hate making these decisions.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=transwiz;11702034]My 2000 t/a ws6 handles really good,But I have a lot of mods to the suspension.I have spent a good amount money on parts.Koni 4/3 sa shocks,Strano hollow sway bars,LCA's,Strut tower brace,and most of all a Watts link (fays2),Frame braces.The car kicks *** but It did cost some money.This stuff is not cheap.

^exactly

^strano performance
Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You mentioned you might "eventually go road racing". I drove my TA on the street for 3 years before gutting it and going road racing. I slowly put on parts until I got what I wanted. Amazingly, many of the parts I had while on the street are still on the car.

When you get shocks (Koni is probably your best bet, for a beginning; after RR for a while, you may want to step up to something better), get coilovers up front. I still have my Konis, but just put on stiffer springs.

Stick with stock control arms up front, until you get RR and know a lot more about this stuff. Offset bushings are good, though.

Adjustable PHR in the rear, along with weight jackers for ths springs. You can try a regular aftermarket torque arm like I did. But, I eventually had to get a de-coupled one. And, I still get brake hop.

Good brake pads and rotors. I use Carbotech XP 12 up front and AX6 in the rear. Baer 2-piece blank rotors. Wilwood 570 fluid.

Lay off the power mods until the car is suspended right, has brakes, and handles very well. Power should be the last mod.

When cutting weight, shoot to get under 3000 lbs. It's not too hard, but it makes a huge difference.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

2 or 3 point sub frame connectors?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

also boxed or tubular?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

2 or 3 point sub frame connectors?
Worry about those later. You may not even need them. As a matter of fact... I've been through about 5 F-bodies with them on, and when I took them off, there wasn't one bit of difference they made. They were T-top f-bodies as well.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
I would suggest a set of springs and a good set of shocks! Can't really help you with either of those. But if you are going to be installing lowering springs I will be able to help you recenter the rear end. While suggesting a UMI Performance adjustable pan hard bar! And also a set of sway bars. Below is a link to show you what all we have to offer!

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=124

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=161

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Whoa. UMI carries Strano springs? Cool.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep. They have been for quite a whilst. Sam and Ryan worked out a deal between themselves since the both collaborate on quite a few things.

Quick Reply: Best handling setup