Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

AGX's out and Bilsteins in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
...Yes the agx's are adjustable but the compression/rebound are set by one **** to a fixed ratio that (to me) was never comfortable for an driving situation. It felt like I had no shock on it at all with a low setting and felt like it was an iron rod on a high setting. There was no in between...
Thank you for noting this as well. This is exact experience that I had with them, which is why I don't recommend them at all. Whilst some won't be bothered by this, it's something I noticed since I tend to work with damper valving a lot (and not just vehicle dampers).

Whilst the AGX's are definitely "less expensive", KYB also cuts many corners concerning the design, including the overall quality of parts internally. Even though the Bilsteins for the Camaro aren't adjustible, their design is simple, yet works very well for their respective valving.

I'd like to mention that even some of the Bilstein designs for other cars that are "single-action/double-adjustible" are made much better than AGX's and have much more "usable" settings. It also doesn't hurt that they're also modifiable with a compression check valve in order to maintain a static compression setting.

I believe some issues that came up though with Camaro Bilsteins some time ago is the fact that Bilstein had a shortage on them and when they finally were available again, they had a less-than-optimal valving that people like myself and Sam Strano disapproved of. Also, I remembered spefically from the Bilstein will call in Poway, CA mentioned that any revalvings, even on new shocks will void their standard factory warranty.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

This is an interesting post... I just got some kyb agx in the mailbox from strano. Will be installing them on my bmr lowering springs. I was told that they were a much better option than the bilsteens for my lowered/road race application. I have ridden in bilsteen-equipped cars and know how they feel. I am going to keep my mouth shut until I get them installed and see how they feel.... should be interesting.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

That, and at summit you can pick up the slp bilsteins for $313. Was a lot cheaper than any of the others that carry them. Part number sle-70008.
Not any more...or so it seems when i checked their site yesterday. I got them at that price too...part of the reason for going with them and glad I did.

I went with the Hotchkis springs because I felt they came in pretty close to SLP Eibach/ SLP level 2 specs except with a little more lowering. I really like the ride...My car is not a DD, but it could be very comfy one with this setup.

As far as difference in the SLP Bilsteins compared to the HD. The fronts have a tad lower rating for compression with a considerable higher rating for rebound. Rears are the same.

Last edited by Alex212; 06-07-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

ls1zfast.....Im with you to I bought this from a member on here Big__Mike. He told Sam Strano that he was on a budget and sam pointed him to the kyb agx's. I have not heard back from sam on his thoughts about them compared to koni and Bilstein so i will just have to see what he says and test them out my self.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Yea, I know. There is so much disinformation out there on shocks. It is unbelievable. If I have learned anything, it is that you must take everything you hear with a grain of salt. This includes info from sponsors, mods, and other "experts" out there.

Our cars are called "custom" for a reason. Everyone has different preferences. Beware of anyone who always thinks their way is right and who always has the answer.

Nick
Old 06-07-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

nick how soon will you have the shocks on. I wont have mine on for a couple weeks and be able to drive it till then. Will you post your results when you get them on please.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have bilsteins and had been eying a set of agx shocks except that my experience with them (in a friend's camaro convertible) is that they're pretty damned stiff at the best setting.

the ride on the bilsteins isn't too bad, but rough enough for my wife to complain (most likely due to using racing tires with reinforced sidewalls). thing about the bilsteins is that if you hit the right bump, you get a feel of how bad the rebound dampening is. if you're taking a high speed corner and hit a good dip/bump, they'll keep you on your toes for sure.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't get me wrong.. I think there's a difference between dampening a spring correctly and a spring/shock combo to satisfy one's ride quality preferences. Some people might take that as a cocky response, but I don't think they should. I have no experience with various Bilstien shocks, but my research has pointed toward "no" for lowering springs and most of all the Bilstiens available.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

I think that is in reference to lowering springs and Bilstein HD front shocks. I don't think it's an issue with 3rd gen rear sport shocks.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by killagt
it show 420 at summit ? how you get it for 313 ?
Wow! That's weird. I just got these like a week agp and they were $313. Weird. Maybe they went up in price. Must have know I was gonna spread the word, lol. Either way, more than worth the money.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94Aquaformula
nick how soon will you have the shocks on. I wont have mine on for a couple weeks and be able to drive it till then. Will you post your results when you get them on please.

Sure thing.... I work tomorrow and tues.. will probably start the install on wednesday. I will post up results when done.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

so witch shock is for my stock spring ?, I dont plan to low my car at all, cuase LT header, and deep pan, all the good ****. any suggest.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jason00ss
its nice to see a post where everybody isn't sucking off Koni's finally.
there is a reason that everyone is "sucking off" konis.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

so witch shock is for my stock spring ?, I dont plan to low my car at all, cuase LT header, and deep pan, all the good ****. any suggest.
Obviously, I would suggest some slp bilsteins. They would work great with stock springs, however the ultimate decision is up to you.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

So which Bilsteins should we pick if we choose to go with a lowering springs that has a 1+inch drop? HD's or SLP's? I just dont want them to take a crap on me after one season of use due to having lowering springs on them
Old 06-08-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker
So which Bilsteins should we pick if we choose to go with a lowering springs that has a 1+inch drop? HD's or SLP's? I just dont want them to take a crap on me after one season of use due to having lowering springs on them
Just go with the slp ones. My friend has had them on his t/a since 01 with out a single problem and is the car I originally rode in. Oh, his car has a pro kit too.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I need a good deal on SLP shock, if any one come across one, please let me know.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Just go with the slp ones. My friend has had them on his t/a since 01 with out a single problem and is the car I originally rode in. Oh, his car has a pro kit too.
With no bottoming out over bumps or that floaty feeling I keep hearing people get once they install a lowering springs on the stock shocks? Just a lil concern since they weren't designed for a large drop at all.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I need a good deal on SLP shock, if any one come across one, please let me know.
Well, summit did have the best deal by far. I checked last night and sure enough they went up in price. Even at a little over $400 they are more than worth it. Actually I think they still have the best deal and their shipping is only $11. Everywhere else I looked they were about 420-475. And as I'm sure you know you could always browse thru the clasifieds on here.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I am thinking about AGX's to go with my Strano springs. I guess we'll see. I tried to install my springs before but my stock shocks are so rusted there is no nut left on top there. So new shocks will be needed to go with the springs.

Quick Reply: AGX's out and Bilsteins in!!!