Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

AGX's out and Bilsteins in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand them, and the differences and when I try to point out those differences I'm made to feel like I'm an *******. Maybe the ******** are the ones using internet heresay to pick their parts and then pretending they know it all.
First off....I'm not sure who you are referring to but I don't think I was trying to make you feel like an *******. Secondly, just because I want to share my experience with other people on this forum doesn't mean I'm trying to come across as an expert. I'm just trying to share my experience that's what forums are for....and for that, I get labeled as a know it all *******....Very Nice!

I guess it was bound to happen....let the name calling begin...
Old 06-09-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for any rude comments I may have made. I apologize. I shouldn't have let some of the post rub me the wrong way on a personal level. Either way, I'm happy with my selection. Maybe some day I'll do konis but the bilsteins work great for me now.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok ok.

Bottom Line= You cannot get shocks besides Konis that can handle a lowering spring. And all other shocks (WITH LOWERING SPRINGS) are Junk. Therefore, you only have one option for a reliable, dependable shock on a lowering spring, and those are......konis.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

I've had Stockers, I've had HD's, I've had Koni's. Stock springs and Sam's springs.

By far the best is the Koni. They get better in time as they wear... the compression damping reduces a bit. I've adjusted the rebound up slightly to compensate for rebound wear and THEY ARE FANTASTIC. 40,000 daily beaten miles now.

Most other shocks get tired with age. Like a fine wine, Koni's get better.

The Koni's in my opinion are the best value shock on the market for this vehicle.

Yes you have to understand how tire pressure, shock damping, spring rate, geometry/alignment and mass work together. If you get it right no cheaper setup will match. I'll bet Sam Strano's reputation on it. (joking)
Old 06-09-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think im going to be calling sam sometime this week. I have many questions regarding konis. Differences between the 4/3, 4/4s etc etc.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

I have stock shocks and sportlines for the last 50k miles. I bet any cheaper shock will feel great for me lol.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Funny I have 45k miles on my slp bilstein shocks and they feel just as good as they did with 18k on the clock. The BMR springs (1.25) and slp's are a perfect daily driver combo.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastmatt98
Funny I have 45k miles on my slp bilstein shocks and they feel just as good as they did with 18k on the clock. The BMR springs (1.25) and slp's are a perfect daily driver combo.
exactly the combo I wanted to go with. did you always have lowering springs on them?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker
exactly the combo I wanted to go with. did you always have lowering springs on them?
They were lowered with the slp eibachs till a few weeks ago.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastmatt98
They were lowered with the slp eibachs till a few weeks ago.
The SLP eibachs, if im not mistaken were designed to work together with the bilsteins, no? Let me know how they hold out with the BMR's.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

See, this is what I'm talking about. It's fine to like what you have, but when absolute statements get tossed around like "it's perfect" I cringe.

First of all, the shocks don't have 75k miles on them. Secondly they were run with the springs were intended for, and only recently has that changed. Now that you have stiffer and lower springs the shocks will be worked harder, and as the miles pile on the shocks will become weaker (they all do) and things won't be "perfect" forever.

You can think I'm crazy, and it's good you like your setup. But SLP didn't think spring that stiff were perfect. Hell, BMR didn't think the rates you have were right--until they suddenly did. SLP didn't valve the shocks for those spring rates, and I didn't make my rates (for instance) with those shocks in mind.

And for every person who thinks X is "great", there is someone that doesn't. There are those that think Pacesetter headers are as good as Kooks. There are those that think Kumho's are as good as Goodyear's and on it goes.

Bilstein's are very good quality, but anytime you use something out of it's design parameters something will suffer.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam what time is usually good to call you? Eastern Time here.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm at work 11-7 ET weekdays (but not this or next Friday, closed to go racing).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Do more research rednari.

Koni SA's are NOT single-action/double-adjusting like you describe them to be. They adjust on rebound ONLY! Compression remains static. This was also true for several of the single-adjustible shocks that I have encountered in many places.

And yes, Sam runs Koni SA's. Also, Sam and others (myself included) can easily state again that Koni DA's are NOT necessary for many situations.
Foxtron, it would help if you could understand written prose without adding your own spin to it. Nowhere, repeat, nowhere does it state or even suggest in my posting that AGXs or Koni yellows, the shocks mentioned, are double adjustable. Shocks which adjust for both rebound and compression are expensive and certainly cannot be purchased for $400. That is what the posting states.

The only research necessary is to determine the malfuction between your ears. AGXs and Koni yellows are single adjustable and you can only go so far with such shocks because of this deficiency. But, as the posting suggests the shocks are of fair value when you consider their cost.

The thread starter suggested the shocks where horrible and that he preferred the boulevard ride of the Bilsteins. My response was that the AGxs were not that bad but would be better if they were double adjustable.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rednari
Foxtron, it would help if you could understand written prose without adding your own spin to it. Nowhere, repeat, nowhere does it state or even suggest in my posting that AGXs or Koni yellows, the shocks mentioned, are double adjustable. Shocks which adjust for both rebound and compression are expensive and certainly cannot be purchased for $400. That is what the posting states.

The only research necessary is to determine the malfuction between your ears. AGXs and Koni yellows are single adjustable and you can only go so far with such shocks because of this deficiency. But, as the posting suggests the shocks are of fair value when you consider their cost.

The thread starter suggested the shocks where horrible and that he preferred the boulevard ride of the Bilsteins. My response was that the AGxs were not that bad but would be better if they were double adjustable.
Face it, your information was and continues to be false, so It's YOU that has the malfunction and needs to not to post things as "Koni's still being single-adjustible". There are both Koni SA's and DA's. AFA AGX's there's much more than just being double-acting, their quality as a whole is not that great. The tradeoff is overall quality as well, and FWIW, I've tried AGX's as well as Bilsteins. AGX's don't adjust like Koni SA's.

So it's you who must stop spinning my statement. And yes, double adjustible's or infinte adjustments mean NOTHING without having useable valving settings.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I currently am running hotchkis with KYB's, this weekend I ordered a set of Koni 4/3's, only difference than 4/4 from what I understand is that the rears are off car adjustable on the 4/3, and I also orderd a set of strano springs... I will most definately be writing a review on the two.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

whats the part # on these slp bilsteins ???
Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about what makes you happy.Bilsteins are cool but Koni 4/3 are way better.Your the one that has to drive your car and live with your purchase.Ask enough people and you will get lots of opinions.Slp bilstiens didn't impress me, so I went with koni's after I drove my buddies car.Do it once and do it right,But I'm not you.If you like them that's all that counts.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:56 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
last I checked yall meant you all which is plural... your not the only one posting in this thread. Someone on page two said he would be interested to hear Sam's response... you should really think before you type.

for the record - "yall" is singular, plural would be "all yall".
Old 06-10-2009, 06:29 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
I currently am running hotchkis with KYB's, this weekend I ordered a set of Koni 4/3's, only difference than 4/4 from what I understand is that the rears are off car adjustable on the 4/3, and I also orderd a set of strano springs... I will most definately be writing a review on the two.
I just ordered the 4/3's also. the rears of the 4/3's have only 4 settings, and require removal for adjustment. I have read that you can remove just the lower bolt and reach up to make adjustments, but I have not tried that.

the 4/4 rears have infinite adjustments within their overall range.

Sam explained it like a light switch. A 3 way bulb will give you: off, dim, bright, brightest. But a dimmer switch with a dial allows you to get all those positions AND everything in between each position.

Quick Reply: AGX's out and Bilsteins in!!!