Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

factory style torque arm vs. bolted to crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 07:30 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightbulb factory style torque arm vs. bolted to crossmember

So I'm sitting here pondering how the stock torque arm arrangement goes to the back of the tranny. How much stress is put there? Would I be farther ahead and safer to get the torque arm that mounts to a cross brace? I'm just worried about the amount of stress that gets put there launching at 5k on Hoosiers like I plan on doing next year? What's the consensus?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres my take on this subject since I am in your same boat: using the stock torque arm is a crap shoot! Some guys get really lucky and run 10.0s with 1.5 60fts all day, then there are guys like me that ripped their stock torque arm in half on the street! Same goes for launching at 6000 RPM on slicks with a 10 bolt: some make it and then some don't. I personally think the stock unit is very capable of holding up to moderate racing but if you plan to hardcore race, I would go with the crossmember design. I like the Spohn and MADMAN designs the best. Last time I checked though MADMAN only had a design for cars with true dual exhaust. They said they could make me one for a y-pipe set-up but I would have to bring them my car and since I live in Ohio that wasn't gonna happen. The MADMAN unit is probably the strongest one on the market and has been proven to be a winner, by A LOT of people. The Spohn unit has held up to numerous cars running 10.5s and quicker. The ground clearance loss with the Spohn isn't to bad either from the pictures I have seen. YOUR main concern with the MOSER is keeping those four pesky torque arm bolts tight. I had one come out on me on the freeway and caused me to tear the torque arm in half on a 3-4 shift. I replaced the bolts with Grade 8 bolts, lock washers, and some heavy duty loctite.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:49 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I've got loctite on my Moser bolts. So anybody out there with any more opinions? I need more reasons to justify going with the cross-brace one. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question but I am interested in the outcome. I've got a "clunk" on hard acceleration in first and at the beginning of every gear thereafter. I went ahead and ordered a heavy duty trans mount because of their "weak" reputation but I've been told it could very well be the torque arm.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:56 PM
FormerVendor

Maggie, who had the fastest qualifying time in the head and cam class, at the Southern shootout last weekend had our G2 Torque arm which attaches to the transmission. she was in the low 1.4 60' times.

THis is a very good package, and seems to be easy to hook up.

On a 12 bolt, you have to lock tight the bolts and safety wire them so they won't come loose. If they come loose, they will beat the tq arm silly.

Hard to argue with a car that had the fastest qualifying time in the "quick Stock" cam and head class.

Thanks

Lou G
LG Motorsports
Old 11-14-2003, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am satisfied with my SPOHN t/a. They come with the stock mounting or brace with a ds loop connection. All the parts are high quality and you get what your pay for!
LG you really think they are fast because your torque arm?
Old 11-14-2003, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ScreaminSS01
LG you really think they are fast because your torque arm?
I think you're misinterpreting Lou's comments a little...
Old 11-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Restricted User

I have a spohn and the main down side is that it is really heavy... It has to be 50# or so.

I think the point Lou was getting at was his torque arm had no problems holding up to high hp applications and low 60' times.

Quick Reply: factory style torque arm vs. bolted to crossmember