Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LG coilovers creaking on bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question LG coilovers creaking on bumps?

I've got a set of the older steel-bodied LG coilovers, and the suspension creaks noticeably when I drive over bumps or if the road has rises or light depressions (like a lot of Chicago roads). I've checked the bolts in the shocks and a-arms and everything is tightened to factory specs.

I seem to remember a thread many years ago, either on here or on LS1.com, where people mentioned that the creaking noise came from the spring rubbing against the threaded body of the coilover. Is this the culprit? If so, is there a trick to quieting the noise down a bit?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine never rubbed against the threaded body. It did occasionally rub against the front swaybar since I was running a 35mm front and had the front shocks inverted. Other than that, no creaking whatsoever.

One thing I should note is that I had the ones that were equipped with the newer and rebuildable Bilstein ASN's. Also, I had those cheapo spherical bearings that it came with swapped out for Aurora bearings which were nickel plated and had much less resistance to move.

Another thing to check would be the spring perches. Check those and see if they're still locked tight and keeping enough tension on the springs.