Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bad front wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad front wheel bearings?

I can't decide if it's worth spending the money on new hubs to solve a "whomping"/whining from the front of the car. I know the sound is from the front as we just swapped the rear our for other reasons and the noise is still there. The noise correllates to the speed of the car and certainly sounds like wheel bearing noise, but there is no play whatsoever in either of the front wheels. The car (in sig) only has 60k miles, but I know that doesn't mean they couldn't be bad. Is there a better way to check for bad hubs than wheel play?
Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack the front end up, grab the tires at 12 and 6 o'clock and 9 and 3 o'clock. Shake the tire back and fourth, if there is play in the wheel you have bad hubs.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Is it like a power steering whine?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 353 Likes on 322 Posts

My original bearings lasted less than 70K miles.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greekey
Jack the front end up, grab the tires at 12 and 6 o'clock and 9 and 3 o'clock. Shake the tire back and fourth, if there is play in the wheel you have bad hubs.
That's exactly what we did and there is zero play.

The noise reminds me of wheel bearing noise (sounded exactly like my old Camaro did when they went bad, but they were a cheap easy fix on that car), but I'm debating now that my rear is quiet if it's just all tire noise that was masked by my loud, whiney rear, but it really sounds like it's just from the front. It's kind of a "wohhooow wooohhhoow woohhhoow" that increases or decreases depending on the speed. The car never sat or anything and the tires are only 1 1/2 years old so it's not like flat spots on the tires. I'm not too worried now since I know I have no play in the wheels so I may just keep an "ear" on the sound for awhile, try some different wheels and tires we have and see if I can track it down. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another way to check is to listen if it gets louder in a RH or LH turn. I had the RH front (pass side) one go bad on me recently. It made that whomp whomp and was significantly louder when in a LH curve and the RH front corner was loaded up. Swapped in new bearings on both fronts when I did my brakes since the car has 107k on it. Noise is gone now.

EDIT: Mine made the noise when driving but had no play or looseness as stated below.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

These types of bearings dont always have play when they go bad. I have especially been having problems with Saturn Ions lately, where there is a roaring noise, but the bearing doesnt have play, and i replace them and all is well afterwards. Happened on two different Ions and a Buick Park Avenue. I'd say its most likely the wheel bearings and all i can think of is its just a different type of failure because i've seen them go both ways.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MysticTealTA
That's exactly what we did and there is zero play.

The noise reminds me of wheel bearing noise (sounded exactly like my old Camaro did when they went bad, but they were a cheap easy fix on that car), but I'm debating now that my rear is quiet if it's just all tire noise that was masked by my loud, whiney rear, but it really sounds like it's just from the front. It's kind of a "wohhooow wooohhhoow woohhhoow" that increases or decreases depending on the speed. The car never sat or anything and the tires are only 1 1/2 years old so it's not like flat spots on the tires. I'm not too worried now since I know I have no play in the wheels so I may just keep an "ear" on the sound for awhile, try some different wheels and tires we have and see if I can track it down. Thanks for the help!
I'd say 95% that wheel bearings are your issue.

Often times when sealed hub assemblies go bad, there is no play in the bearing, regardless of how hard you rock the wheel. My 97 Grand Prix had bad wheel bearings, made the exact sound you describe (worse in turns, you could feel it in the wheel) and neither hub assembly had any play when I checked them out. Replaced both bearings, and it solved the problem.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Just to throw this out there, after you change the bearing, If it still does it, Check your front calipers. It could be a seized front caliper? (Not releasing fully will cause that sound, and it will get faster as you increase speeds as well)
Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

eh if his caliper was seized hed probably have a pull to one side while braking. for ***** and giggles rotate the tires if you dont want to spend money on a bearing. but it really does sound like a bad bearing at this point
Old 06-10-2009, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, and I just read that he still has it slowing down too. so its not the caliper issue. I guess the bearing is where I would start.

Edit: Sorry, I meant *She

Last edited by MOE_TAWS6; 06-11-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

She, not he actually! I'm a girl. It brakes nice and straight, but I do think the hubs are worth changing out now. I'll add it to the list! Thanks guys.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

:O sorry! haha. I would rotate the tires front to back and see if the noise moves... if you can rotate your tires

Quick Reply: Bad front wheel bearings?