Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ground Control Coil Over !! Link inside.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground Control Coil Over !! Link inside.

Has anyone used these? If so r u pleased with them.

Please check current LS1tech Sponsors for Ground Control Parts.
MLS

Adam

Last edited by Major_Lee_Slow; 06-08-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the forum hasn't cleared out the older threads about the 4th Gen F-body Ground Control then a search might yield some interesting information.

Actually, before there were decent "replacement springs" (Stranoparts and a few others), this kit was popular with quite a bit around here, however this question comes down to this...

What kind or driving are you going to do with the car?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhousecamaro
Has anyone used these?
Yes.

If so r u pleased with them.
Yes.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks. I'll search the other thread and erase this one soon then, I didn't mean to repeat a question that was addressed here before, I just didn't know.

I want to use the car for street use only. I will get strano aprings no matter what but wanted to get opinions about this one as well. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

No worries, and you don't have to erase the thread.

Except for a few nitpicks about the GC coil-overs, I didn't find them too bad, however when it came to mostly DD, I found the adjustment wasn't really needed. It's just unfortunate that there wasn't a "well engineered replacement spring" around for my DD car at the time.

For serious competition, I'd have nothing but a coil-over system. There were certain tracks/road courses where certain spring rates/spring heights/corner and cross weightings that I needed which only a coil-over would allow me to set, but again when it comes to track performance, I'm trying to squeeze as much out of my performance that I can for each different scenario. In addition to what I mentioned, I also used really aggressive brake pads and seriously race tyres along with an alignment that really isn't suitable for daily driving.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got ya good info. I'm just afraid I'll end up buying a non adjustable set of springs and not like the ride height, for that reason I'd rather spend an extra 200 bucks to buy an adjustable set even though it's only for street use. what else is out there beside these and qa1s that offer that option around that price.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let's try this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-tech-faq.html

Before deciding on coil-over vs. replacement, I recommend you to search around this site and readily inform yourself more of what you're getting into before you opt for one over the other. Lowering for appearance gets many in trouble, even when they think "just lowering the way they want" will be okay. Also, be aware of really how suspension works so you can make a decision based upon improvements and compromises you're definitely are aware of and willing to risk.

AFA QA1's, do search for that as well. Those I DO NOT recommend at all.

BTW, I notice you're from PA. Sam Strano is there so you may want to give him a call.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for your quick responses, I appreciate it. Great advices that I will certainly follow. Never thought that QA1s wouldn't be recommended for the price they sell for.

"Lowering for appearance gets many in trouble" : That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to avoid.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the GC's (550/175) and bought the Koni 4/4's and sway bars from Strano. Love the setup and love the adjustability. Granted for a street car, you don't fool around with ride height too often, I started as low as I can go drove around a couple weeks and then slowly lifted it up until it gave me the ride height I wanted; and also the ground clearance I needed to get around common obstacles like pieces of paper on the road ... lol. Now I could've just gone with Strano springs and loved it like everyone who's bought them, but I guess I'm just like that and I wont be satisfied until it's "my look" and not something I end up with.

all the pics from the install ... http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...=3&carid=15906
Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mean Green z28
I have the GC's (550/175) and bought the Koni 4/4's and sway bars from Strano. Love the setup and love the adjustability. Granted for a street car, you don't fool around with ride height too often, I started as low as I can go drove around a couple weeks and then slowly lifted it up until it gave me the ride height I wanted; and also the ground clearance I needed to get around common obstacles like pieces of paper on the road ... lol. Now I could've just gone with Strano springs and loved it like everyone who's bought them, but I guess I'm just like that and I wont be satisfied until it's "my look" and not something I end up with.

all the pics from the install ... http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...=3&carid=15906

Thanks a lot. So in other words ur saying that u ended up (After adjusting the coil overs few times) with the height that the Strano springs provide to be satisfied, however, what u have is GCs.
I'm only using the car on the street and it will only be used on the street, I honestly don't give a crap how fast it goes in a 1/4 mile even though it's supercharged. I read a lot of info from the link that was provided to me above, I really appreciate it. Too bad Strano is out of springs for a few weeks, in a few weeks summer will end and car will be back in the shop . However, I will have Stranos at my door step as soon as they are available for sale again, and for use only next summer. I'm NOT in anyway looking for any drop over 1.25" or so.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW these springs and shocks look too good to be on any car, wish u could keep them that clean even when they're on , it's exactly what I feel when installing brand new Blue Spec clutch set or Orange Centerforce knowing the damn dust will ruin the beauty of them when they're brand new .
Old 06-09-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, First you really need to know what you want from your car and can do. And you need to understand that one spring rate isn't going to work great for all ride heights.
Talk to Sam, or someone else knowledgeable in suspension, do some research.
IMO, if you're looking for a ride height from stock to less than 1" drop, or more than 1.5" drop, threaded spring seats are a good way to go.
And I would suggest looking a the GlobalWest adjustable spring seat kit over the Ground Control kit , IMO the GW kit is way better than the GC kit.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot. So in other words ur saying that u ended up (After adjusting the coil overs few times) with the height that the Strano springs provide to be satisfied, however, what u have is GCs.
I'm only using the car on the street and it will only be used on the street, I honestly don't give a crap how fast it goes in a 1/4 mile even though it's supercharged. I read a lot of info from the link that was provided to me above, I really appreciate it. Too bad Strano is out of springs for a few weeks, in a few weeks summer will end and car will be back in the shop . However, I will have Stranos at my door step as soon as they are available for sale again, and for use only next summer. I'm NOT in anyway looking for any drop over 1.25" or so.

Thanks guys.
well not quite, I think the Strano springs put you a little bit higher than mine. With the way you explain it, you'll prob be happy withe them. I was initially going to fool around with road racing and auto-x'ing, hence all the adjustability I wanted, but that got thrown out the window with the arrival of my son. maybe later.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ground control let you pick the spring rate you want, and let you set your ride hight. If you do not know what spring rate you want you might want to pass on this set-up. You can get them from www.ws6store.com.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I simply want a comfortable ride with around 1.25 drop, it's that simple. I do not want to hit a bump on the road and feel it up my butt, if you can throw some springs rate numbers to reach my goal I'd really appreciate it. I will most likely order Konis for all 4 corners.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I simply want a comfortable ride with around 1.25 drop, it's that simple. I do not want to hit a bump on the road and feel it up my butt, if you can throw some springs rate numbers to reach my goal I'd really appreciate it. I will most likely order Konis for all 4 corners.
If you are looking at that, then opting for ANY spring-rate and/or height WILL make for a horrible ride, unless you do shocks with proper valving first. In stating this, if you are not able to do both proper springs and shocks at the same time, you should look at the Koni's first, then the springs next.

Also since you now state that you want a "simple 1.25 drop that doesn't kill your bum", you should now definitely not rule out the replacement spring. Spending ~200 USD more just to have coil-overs, will mean that same money could be used toward at least some of the cost for two rear Koni's, which will drastically improve performance.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a little confused , do you mean that it's impossible to get a comfortable street ride with 1-1.25" drop beside using Konis?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's the skinny on shocks. Koni's are typically the best bang for the buck shocks available for these cars. There are more expensive shocks, i.e penski's, and there are more cost effective shocks as well. Heck when I first started moding my car back in 99 I used Eibach pro's with the stock De-Crappins. Was it optimal? NO. did it work? Yes.

A local autocrosser had been running lowering springs for a few years and she just recently got a set of Koni's for her F-Body. The first words out of her mouth when I saw her was "Holy Cow I can't believe how much of a difference the Koni's made".

Bottom line, you can get buy with more cost effective shocks, but if you want to get the best performance for the buck out of your suspension, Koni's are the way to go.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a little confused , do you mean that it's impossible to get a comfortable street ride with 1-1.25" drop beside using Konis?
In short, Yes and no.

Yes: Koni's are one of the readily available shocks for this, if not the absolute only one. A big push is that not only are they single adjustible on rebound only, but they also have good settings right out of the box.

No: You can find other options to come close, and they may be workable, but they may not be optimal. Sometimes they can be bad, really bad.

The valving needs to properly dampen the spring oscillations for a specific spring length and it's respective spring rate. Poorly designed shocks and/or old worn shocks WILL NOT be good for the springs you're intending to get.

BTW, thanks for being patient with all of the advice. I know it can be tough sometimes.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You also have to understand that no matter what shock you purchase, the ride will necessarily become firmer when you significantly decrease your suspension travel, aka "lowering the car".

The absolute best ride will always be factory springs and quality shocks.

Anything else is a tradeoff between ride height/appearance, spring rate/performance and ride comfort. Only you can answer what degree of tradeoff is right for you.

Many, many, many, many people here just don't seem to get this.

Quick Reply: Ground Control Coil Over !! Link inside.