Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

GM discontinued axle stopper bushing??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM discontinued axle stopper bushing??

Well rear end was scrapin c6 19's on acceleration so figure time for new shocks. I take the rear shock off and see that the shock is in good condition and actually stiffer then the GR-2 shocks I had purchased to replace them. So I put them back but then saw the springs might be the issue. I could compress the spring some with my hand! So needing an immediate fix I had to choice but to buy some stock replacements from parts store. I then see the bushing thats goes between the wheel well and the top of the axle is ripped in half. Advance, autozone and bennetts doesnt sell them, and I call the pontiac dealer and they say discontinued. What the hell do I do??
Old 06-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97knightrider
What the hell do I do??
Find a better dealer or buy online.

GM part number 10164173

Oh and BTW....

That part is commonly called a bump stop.

Compressing a shock by hand will not give a real indication of how "stiff" it is. You may be able to tell if it is degassed but no way are you going to be able to compress it quickly enough to get a feel for the valving.

You should be able to squeeze the stock springs a bit by hand. They're only ~115 lb/in.

Last edited by Ironhead; 06-09-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

the bump stops are on National backorder. I found a few dealers in the region that had one, but nobody that had a pair. ended up buying some used ones from a guy on here.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm ok taking ur advice about the shocks and trying the gr-2 shocks. the spring I just got to replace the stock one are atleast 50% stiffer so going to just use them. I called the idiots back at the dealer and gave them the part number and they pulled it right up. PS found them on gmpartsdirect.com for $21 vs dealer $36.

Do you think its ok to drive the car without them ? untill they come in that is
Old 06-09-2009, 01:55 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

what gm parts direct is not telling you, at least not yet, is the parts are unavailable. I ordered less then a week ago, then I called to check status and was told there not available. it took a couple of emails to cancel my order.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

just ordered 2 from gmpartsdirect.com so i hope not
Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

A non-sponsor has some bump stop replacements with a bracket that allows you to use the generic bump stops found at Autozone, Advance, etc.

Not sure if they're a sponsor here though.

You are correct sir, they are not a sponsor
MLS

Last edited by Major_Lee_Slow; 06-09-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Link to Non-Sponsor
Old 06-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Those are fine except that they give you the same problems as the SS bumpstops....

1) (Apparently) taller than the Z28 stops = less suspension travel

2) Less travel = you're into the stops more frequently (and you're already into them about every time you drive the car even in normal conditions)

3) Poly is MUCH harder than the Z28 foam rubber type = a much more abrupt and unsettling impact when you get into the stop

Even if 1 and 2 don't apply, 3 is enough of a reason for me to stick with the factory part.

Do you think its ok to drive the car without them ?
Can you physically drive the car? Sure.

Are you at risk of damaging a shock with no bumpstop? Yes.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ironhead
Those are fine except that they give you the same problems as the SS bumpstops....

(Apparently) taller than the Z28 stops = less suspension travel

Less travel = you're into the stops more frequently (and you're already into them about every time you drive the car even in normal conditions)

Poly is MUCH stiffer than the Z28 foam rubber type = a much more abrupt and unsettling impact when you get into the stop
I wasn't aware of any difference/problems with the SS bumpstops. Guess I have some reading to catch up on. Could trimming them help with the difference in suspension travel, or would it be pretty much pointless? I knew poly was stiffer, but wasn't sure how it would do in such an area.

Oh, and I owe you an email, Ironhead. Had to address a few things on the other car lately that have kept me from having fun with the f-body.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pace
I wasn't aware of any difference/problems with the SS bumpstops. Guess I have some reading to catch up on. Could trimming them help with the difference in suspension travel, or would it be pretty much pointless? I knew poly was stiffer, but wasn't sure how it would do in such an area.

Oh, and I owe you an email, Ironhead. Had to address a few things on the other car lately that have kept me from having fun with the f-body.
Trimming the bumpstop would actually make it harder since it effectively increases the rate by making it more blunt.

The SS stops are like this. They are hard rubber formed into basically a blunt rectangle. The Z28 (and I guess V6) stops are softer foam rubber fashioned into a much more progressive pyramid shape.

Email away. I believe I PMed you my address a while back.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ironhead
Trimming the bumpstop would actually make it harder since it effectively increases the rate by making it more blunt.

The SS stops are like this. They are hard rubber formed into basically a blunt rectangle. The Z28 (and I guess V6) stops are softer foam rubber fashioned into a much more progressive pyramid shape.

Email away. I believe I PMed you my address a while back.
Ah. Well, I guess those wouldn't be the optimal replacements then. And correct, the V6 bump stops are also the softer pyramid-shaped rubber.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:25 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97knightrider
just ordered 2 from gmpartsdirect.com so i hope not
did you call and find out yet? they are on backorder with no projected date available. they will leave your order open unless you take steps to cancel.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody know where to get these, I need new ones as well, (mine are falling apart) I have the WS6/SS style ones.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Dont some people use some from energy suspension? It cross references with a Jeep I believe.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

search bump stops.
you'll see that they are poly and most people feel like they are too hard.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to know about where to get these as well, mine crumbled off completely.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

E.S. #9.9137

And they're 3/8" shorter than stock bumpstops, and about $25 a pair.

To mount them you either have to trim the E.S. bumpstop where the metal lip sticks down into the factory Bumpstop recessed area, or cut the metal lip off.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Just got this email back! SHIIT! what the hell do we do? This would be a great time for a fabricator to take advantage of the current situation.

Part number 10164173 is currently on backorder with GM and GM does not have an ETA for the part to be released off backorder. We can cancel your order or we can continue to wait for the part to arrive to us and ship the order at that time.

Please email us your decision.

Once the part has be released off of backorder we would no longer be able to cancel the order.
Thank you Jason,

www.GmPartsDirect.com
Old 06-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Launching!

You have a PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

My bump stops feel apart also.

Quick Reply: GM discontinued axle stopper bushing??