Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Powerstop slotted rotors, advice before install

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerstop slotted rotors, advice before install

This is simply an opinion and review of the slotted rotors and pads that I happened to receive when purchased from powerstop. Make sure you check the rotors when recieved, my set and my buddies also had the same happen, we all needed to have them cut off the bat because it didn't have a non-directional finish. That was our only issue, they installed easily and made a good difference in braking and a good visual mod as well. If you have time while doing the install I would suggest painting the calipers as well to complete the visual aspect of it.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Great rotors paired with Hawk ceramic pads! They were cheap, looked great and because they are zinc coated they never rusted (big problem on New York State roads). I never had mine cut and they seemed to work fine. When you cut new rotors you reduce the surface area for the pad to contact with and reduce stopping power. New rotors out of the box have a finish far finer than a brake lathe or sand paper can produce so i would never cut new rotors.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Only thing was that I did the same thing but shortly realized that they didn't have a non-directional finish and squeeled like none other. Fixed it with cutting them, just wanted everyone to be cautious of this.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TManZ28
Only thing was that I did the same thing but shortly realized that they didn't have a non-directional finish and squeeled like none other. Fixed it with cutting them, just wanted everyone to be cautious of this.
Could u humor me and explain "cutting" them? Maybe I'm just a noob.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine had a non-directional finish. Both my old set and my new set.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

I put Power stop slotted rotors and pads on my 2000 GMS Sierra 1/2 ton all around. They had the non-directional finish as well. After scrubbing the anti rust coating off with a little brake clean and coating the pads with some anti-squeal, they went right on and I have had no problems for 10,000 miles. I would definately buy them again.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

May be something new. I got my set a little over 2 years ago and had non-directional finish and have had no problems. Good heads up though.

Quick Reply: Powerstop slotted rotors, advice before install