Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pedal feel with performance pads/rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pedal feel with performance pads/rotors

I'm wondering what the difference in brake pedal feel is with different performance pads/rotors vs. stock?

I need some examples from personal experiences please.

I'm considering power stop slotted rotors with hawk hps or power stop z26 semi-metallic pads. Car is street driven, weekend spirited driving.

I like the feel of the stock pedal so I don't wanna stray too far from that. I don't wanna increase the pedal effort. Don't like a super hard pedal under light/normal driving conditions.

I'd like to get a boost in braking performance without sacrificing normal drivability. It would be nice to shave off a few feet from highway-speed stopping distance while reducing potential fade from numerous high speed stops. Wanna boost my emergency stopping power, for my peace of mind and safety's sake.

I don't want anything noisy/squealing.

I've done some searching but I would still like to make this thread asking for personal experiences with certain products and suggestions for accomplishing my goals. Thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

I have EBC drilled and slotted Rotors with stock calipers and Wagner Brake pads. The first time i stepped on the pedal it almost threw me threw the windshield lol. I was used to pushing the pedal a little further down. I like the rotors work really good for daily use and racing. You can still slowly push the pedal down and come to a nice easy stop with no problem
Old 06-14-2009, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Nice
Old 06-14-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

all ill say about drilled/slotted is DONT USE THEM.

as for feel, the pedal feel is the same. the only thing that will change the actual pedal feel is old/bad fluid, or fluid with air trapped in it. the pads/rotors have nothing to do with the pedal feel, as in the ease of pushing it down. it may seem to grab higher, but thats probably just because new brakes or high performance brakes will grab harder and sooner, and will give the illusion of a higher pedal.

if you want better brakes for the street, all you need are hawk HPS and SOLID rotors. brembos are best, but even parts store rotors will do.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Dare I ask why not to use a slotted only rotor?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:23 PM

nice share!....thanks!...
Old 06-14-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by feelnlo
Dare I ask why not to use a slotted only rotor?
this topic has been beated to death. a slotted rotor only isnt bad. a drilled or drilled/slotted IS bad and very prone to cracking, especially when tracked. even manufacturers will state that drilled are not to be used in high performance applications and should not be tracked.

theyre for looks only, they do nothing for braking power. if all you want is looks, then thats one thing. and im sure there are pleny of people who can chime in and say theyve driven X miles on drilled and no cracking.......well you can bang hookers without a bag for years and not get aids too. but is that a risk worth taking?

slots only are again mostly for looks. they dont do much for increased braking power. they do look decent, and they arent anywhere near as prone to cracking as drilled are. had i to choose, i would of course pick blanks. but if the choice was only slots or drilled, then pick slots.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROFL^^^^^^ Great analagy
Old 06-14-2009, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

ive got ATE rotors and hawk pads and the pedal is way firmer and grabs faster than a stock setup - i love it and recomend it
Old 06-14-2009, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
...well you can bang hookers without a bag for years and not get aids too. but is that a risk worth taking?...
Point well taken. And thanks for the recommendations everyone.

My only concern with the slots is the fact that they wear pads more quickly. But how much more quickly they wear the pads I'm not sure? I don't drive the car daily.

I've had power slot/hawk hps on a previous car but sold it shortly after...but thats another story. The anti rust finish and slots looked very nice.

Another concern with slots is losing a bit of surface area. I would probably never notice the difference with slots or blanks while driving "spiritedly" on the weekends, below the legally posted speed limits OF COURSE
Old 06-14-2009, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Also out of curiosity, where's the best place to pick up some Brembo blanks if I decide to go that route?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Point well taken. And thanks for the recommendations everyone.

My only concern with the slots is the fact that they wear pads more quickly. But how much more quickly they wear the pads I'm not sure? I don't drive the car daily.

I've had power slot/hawk hps on a previous car but sold it shortly after...but thats another story. The anti rust finish and slots looked very nice.

Another concern with slots is losing a bit of surface area. I would probably never notice the difference with slots or blanks while driving "spiritedly" on the weekends, below the legally posted speed limits OF COURSE
I've had my slotted rotors and ceramic pads for coming up on 2 years in a few months and I still have half the pads left, and that is with the pad getting lightly dragged on the rotor for a while due to a caliper issue or something. I have power stop slotted rotors and their ceramic pads and can stop on a dime.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also out of curiosity, where's the best place to pick up some Brembo blanks if I decide to go that route?
I get mine from Sam Strano.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

EBC yellows and stock rotors is all you need for a street car.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
I get mine from Sam Strano.
Same here.

I have somewhat firmer compare to stock. I've changed the stock fluid, rotors, pads, brake line to: ATE fluid, brembo blank rotors, Hawks pad, SS braided lines.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, that can be a concern, but with that stated, I'll say that it depends predominantly on "slot" design. I actually have the newer Ate rotors on my BMW here in AUS, and whilst they look a bit "unconventional" they're much more of a wear indicator than what other slot designs are intended for. With that said, I also should mention that I started out with the slotted rotors on my StopTech ST-40 BBK (on my track Camaro) and it actually did wear the pads down quite quickly compared to the blank replacement friction rings.

Even on some rotors that don't come with "anti-corrosion", for me it wasn't much effort applying high-temp paint (with the necessary precautions of course). On my Ate's, they have anti-corrosion. AFA anti-corrosion, I'd say it's worth the minor effort and/or consideration to reduce the corrosion.

Well, I've been through several sets of slotted rotors and yes, I can agree that it can be situation dependent, however IMHO it comes down to the value of price-to-performance. Through rigourous testing in a controlled test environment on a road course, I haven't recorded any performance or endurance improvement whatsoever with slots or any type of "rotor face patterns", so that's why I usually suggest quality blanks with a good amount of mass with the Ate's being the exception.

Whilst on that subject, I've also tried DBA blanks with their supposed "kangaroo paw" venting, and just found the rotors to be overpriced, overbuilt, and overall to be nothing better. Whilst it's nice to have more mass in the rotors for better heat tolerance, this is a case where too much is just too much. In this case, recommend the Ate "slotted" over the DBA "kangaroo vented" blanks.

Just my .02.

BTW, good job in researching your options.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

^^^ you whilst alot.

slots will increase pad wear, but not alot. if its a toy/weekender, you probably wont even notice it. i get all my brake stuff from tirerack. one stop stopping. i have the C5 conv., and for whatever reason, brembo blanks are significantly cheaper then LS1 blanks. youd think being directional and bigger theyd be more money, but theyre $20-$30 cheaper. ATE has a powerslot rotor, which isnt just slotted but has two concentric grooves across the rotor face. i think thats a better design, and its even a few dollars cheaper then the brembo blanks.

i have blanks for the track, but i wouldnt hesitate with the ATEs for street.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

You guys are the best.... Love this frikin place.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Anyone have PowerStop z26 semi-metallic pads?

I'm curious of they make any noise/squeaks?

Last edited by feelnlo; 06-15-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Oh and EchoMirage, your avatar is priceless.

Quick Reply: Pedal feel with performance pads/rotors