Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hotchkis hollow adjustable rear sway-bar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by darknessxyz
Watts link or Adjustable swaybar....it's a good debut here. Maybe I'll start a new thread with this. LOL

Sam, can you fit the hotchkis adjustable bar with the Watts link and post some pics? After reading info about both bars, I like the Hotchkis on bcuz of the mounting. Hellwig is more everyday live with bcuz of 22mm size. Also, what's the weight differece between the two bars?

BTW Sam, you should consider R&D an adjustable front sway bar seriously.

The adjustable rear bar isn't exactly a huge moving option. I've thought about an adjustable front, and might still do it--but it's not at the top of my priority list right now.

As for fitting the Hotchkis bar--really I have no reason. I have no issue if someone wants to try one, but when I have something that is a known commodity that solves a particular issue I don't have much need to find new ways to make that wheel round.

I *know* the bar I helped with fits and tweaked things like bushings and such to make sure it clears the Watts, and sooner or later you'll see a hollow rear that's also adjustable from me (been on the books, just not had the time), and it'll be less than the Hotchkis which still seems to be vaporware. Weight difference is about 8 pounds (but a stock bar is in the middle, just my hollow is a bunch less).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-16-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

So today I found out (for comparison with the adjustable 15/16" bar) that the hotchkis non-adjustable 1" rear bar (This is what I have in my car now) has a
255 lb.in. spring rate. So it looks like the adjustable bar would take me in the right direction.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess a Watts link will be the top of the list. Sam, please make the adjustable front and rear happen sooner.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
So today I found out (for comparison with the adjustable 15/16" bar) that the hotchkis non-adjustable 1" rear bar (This is what I have in my car now) has a
255 lb.in. spring rate. So it looks like the adjustable bar would take me in the right direction.
So did you try to do the math or did you have to call the manufacture? Are you sure those numbers are right? Seriously, it's just simple algebra, do the math. Don't you want to validate the manufactures claims? This is the whole reason you had to start this tread 3 times.

Last edited by Major_Lee_Slow; 06-17-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
So did you try to do the math or did you have to call the manufacture? Are you sure those numbers are right? Seriously, it's just simple algebra, do the math. Don't you want to validate the manufactures claims? This is the whole reason you had to start this tread 3 times.
First of all I don't know the I.D., or the length, and as far as the math I haven't used any algebra like that in over 20yrs.
So if you can answer my questions that would be great!

And the only reason I had to start this tread 3 times is because you deleted the first two threads completely; by the way,thank you!

Does anybody have it yet, opinions?
It's a lot like the Hellwig (3 position) adjustable rear sway-bar, except it's hollow, and a 15/16" bar.
It's 3 Adjustment Settings are, 225,240,255 lbs/in;but I have no idea what the equivalent sway-bar size in millimeters is for each position.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I guess you shouldn't have posted up links, coupon codes or pricing to a non-sponsor link.

Now since basic math is too tough for you, and your ability to reason that the arm length must be extremely close to your current bar in order for it to fit right let me give you your answer (And BTW, it's been 20 years since I took Basic Algebra)

Hotchkis Adjustable Rear
225: Acts like a: 21.49 mm
240: Acts like a: 21.85 mm
255: Acts like a: 22.18 mm

Hotchkis 1 in (24.4mmOD 17.4 ID): 342 lbs/in (Based on past information about Hotchkis bars, note their design may have changed)

19mm Bar: 137 lbs/in
1LE Bar: 205 lbs/in.

Now you know why people like Sam and myself and many other people who road race/autocross these cars don't run rear bars larger than 21 mm unless the PHR is lowered or a WATT's link is utilized. The diameter is raised to the 4th power, so in simple speak "It makes a BIG difference"
Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One other point. I don't buy springs unless I get the spring rates and the ID and wire size. I don't buy sway bars unless I get the OD, ID and effective arm length. If a vendor is not willing to provide that info, I purchase from someone else.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wink

Cool, thanks for the info Major_Lee_Slow !

FYI, you really need to work on you people skills, just as much as I need to work on my math.

Quick Reply: Hotchkis hollow adjustable rear sway-bar?