Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hotchkis hollow adjustable rear sway-bar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Hotchkis hollow adjustable rear sway-bar?

I guess the 3rd time a charm!

Does anybody have it yet, opinions?
It's a lot like the Hellwig (3 position) adjustable rear sway-bar, except it's hollow, and a 15/16" bar.
It's 3 Adjustment Settings are, 225,240,255 lbs/in;but I have no idea what the equivalent sway-bar size in millimeters is for each position.
It's pt#22104R
Old 06-15-2009, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, sponsor or not, asking questions about a product is the complete purpose of this forum and section. To delete it is seriously on the verge of COMMUNIST. He's not trying to profit from the sale of these items, he's asking if anyone has one.

MODERATORS, PLEASE BAN ME IF YOU DISAGREE
Old 06-15-2009, 03:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good and that's an item I've been looking for long time. I think the same concept/design can also apply to front sway bar.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

The endlinks look easier to mount than the Hellwig bar. Hollow is always an advantage. I wonder what bar size it mimics.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Could the mods please explain the reason for this thread getting deleted or the posts getting deleted? I am just curious.. maybe I'm missing people posting stuff that they shouldn't be. All I've seen is pure informational stuff. I think I saw a link to a website, not sure if it was sponsor or not, but I'd think the mods would just remove the link and put a caption. I've had my purely informational post deleted twice now.

And unlike the other guy, please don't ban me
Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Usually they only remove the link, not the whole thread.
I was told no non-sponsor links.

I guess somebody really doesn't like Hotchkis.

So lets hear some more opinions; on the sway-bar!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 06-15-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok lets keep the thread on topic, which at this point is technical with a few non-value added posts about moderation. Would be great if people would remove those posts on their own. I won't.

The OP is basically asking a simple math question. So lets crack open our 12 grade math books and have a little fun shall we.

The equation for determing spring rate of a spring in torsion is:
Sway Bar Rate=0.098*(OD)^4*11000000/L^2/34-0.098*(ID/25.4)^4*1100000/L^2/34
OD= Outer Diameter
ID = Inner Diameter
L = Length of Lever Arm

Now go solve for OD and ID and you'll have your answer. If you'd like to post it up here to see if you got it right, go ahead and I'll tell you if you are correct.

See kiddies this is why we stay in school

Last edited by Major_Lee_Slow; 06-15-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Can't speak about what happened with the other posts...

What I can speak on is the bar. It's a very nice bar, Hotchkis stuff is always nice. One big issue is that I know the Hellwig bar as we did it works with a Watts link--we saw to that. Further the bars are not sized the same. Hotchkis is 24mm, the Hellwig is 22m. That's a big difference. As for installation, the Hellwig does mount the links a big differently, but it's all bolt-on....

Cost wise, the Hotchkis is more (as is normal). The Hellwig rear is in stock, and $245 is a good bit less than what the Hotchkis is. In fact my price on the Hotchkis bar is a good bit more than what I sell the Hellwig for). I sell both brands, and if you want a Hotchkis I'd be happy to see if they have any ready to roll.

I think it's a viable option if you want to pay for it and want a stiffer base bar.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Can't speak about what happened with the other posts...

What I can speak on is the bar. It's a very nice bar, Hotchkis stuff is always nice. One big issue is that I know the Hellwig bar as we did it works with a Watts link--we saw to that. Further the bars are not sized the same. Hotchkis is 24mm, the Hellwig is 22m. That's a big difference. As for installation, the Hellwig does mount the links a big differently, but it's all bolt-on....

Cost wise, the Hotchkis is more (as is normal). The Hellwig rear is in stock, and $245 is a good bit less than what the Hotchkis is. In fact my price on the Hotchkis bar is a good bit more than what I sell the Hellwig for). I sell both brands, and if you want a Hotchkis I'd be happy to see if they have any ready to roll.

I think it's a viable option if you want to pay for it and want a stiffer base bar.
Is that means the Hotchkis bar might not fit the Watts link? Sam maybe you should start some R&D for adjustable front sway bar.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I doubt they tested it with the Watts, we did, and in fact had to change the bar and the bushings to make sure it worked with not just a PHB but the Watts link.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Helwig seems like it has a better range adjustment for if you want moderate or stiff. Hotchkis bar range seems like you can have either stiff or extra stiff.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We can cover you there to, as there is a 1" Adjustable Hellwig bar too.... But I don't list it on the site because it's way too much for most situation.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the input Sam!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm actually going to try a 19mm stock bar along with the 35mm strano front in my circular track race event. I've had a 21mm solid forever, but my car has been sliding around a lot lately. It might just need driver mod, aka super duper concentration and discipline with the steering wheel. I'm going to try the 19mm next event and see how it works.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

On my last event, I find the rear looses traction way quicker then the front of my car. Same size tires, 35mm Strano front bar and stock 19MM rear. Koni SA front and Bilstein HD rear. SLP level2 springs all around. I 'm thinking of going with a 22mm rear bar and koni DA (9" rear) to help out.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by warp10
On my last event, I find the rear looses traction way quicker then the front of my car. Same size tires, 35mm Strano front bar and stock 19MM rear. Koni SA front and Bilstein HD rear. SLP level2 springs all around. I 'm thinking of going with a 22mm rear bar and koni DA (9" rear) to help out.
I suspect that the rear Bilsteins are part of the issue.

Sam, what size bars does the Hellwig mimic? You stated it's 22mm but since it mounts differently does it act as if it's a different size?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I've had a 21mm solid forever, but my car has been sliding around a lot lately.
Assuming this is a new condition, how old are the tires?

Nothing makes my car go from "I hate driving this stupid POS" to "I love my car to death" quicker than new tires.

You don't want to tune the car around lousy tires. When they go off I have to remind myself of this and resist the temptation to mess with the car.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Watts link or Adjustable swaybar....it's a good debut here. Maybe I'll start a new thread with this. LOL

Sam, can you fit the hotchkis adjustable bar with the Watts link and post some pics? After reading info about both bars, I like the Hotchkis on bcuz of the mounting. Hellwig is more everyday live with bcuz of 22mm size. Also, what's the weight differece between the two bars?

BTW Sam, you should consider R&D an adjustable front sway bar seriously.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ironhead
Assuming this is a new condition, how old are the tires?

Nothing makes my car go from "I hate driving this stupid POS" to "I love my car to death" quicker than new tires.

You don't want to tune the car around lousy tires. When they go off I have to remind myself of this and resist the temptation to mess with the car.
That's a good point. Another good driver in my events told me the same thing. He put on fresh tires and the car was an animal. My tires are over two years old now. I have nitto 555r's all around. My plan was to run on them until they told me not to come back until I get new tires, for money reasons They are probably hardening up over time.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll add that while I lose grip at both ends, old tires seem to loosen the car up more than they make it push. No surprise there really I guess. FWIW I go through this every year as I also run my tires until I see nylon.

Anyway, that's what made me think of tires when you mentioned a smaller rear bar.

Quick Reply: Hotchkis hollow adjustable rear sway-bar?