Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hal Gen. F vs. Hal Stocker Star R

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 07:02 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hal Gen. F vs. Hal Stocker Star R

I wanted to know what the differences are between the 2 in "Lamens" terms. Which one would be better for both worlds? (street and strip) I wanted a shock that will work great on and off the track. The car isnt a daily, but most of its use will be on the street. I want a shock thats going to be nice to drive on the street, but will work awesome for the track too. Which one will peform best of both worlds or is there another shock that is better at it than these 2? What kind of compromises do I have to make? Since the type R isnt offered for the rear, will the regular ones be fine for the back, consider a different shock all together, or do those even need to be messed with? Thanks alot and any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-10-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After watching a lot of cars at the Thunder Shootout with regular F series shocks, I think the R series is definately worth the extra money. On the F-series, when you soften the rebound on the strut, the compression softens as well. So you get a good launch but the car also comes down hard and bounces down the track. On the R-series, you can soften the rebound, but the compression stays fixed. You get all the weight transfer, but not the bouncing effect. This is the way I understand it. The Afco shocks are probably the best of the best, but are overkill for anyone not running low 10s, IMO. I don't see where a Type R would really help for the rear, I would just use the regular Hal rears.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running the DeCarbons that came with the car and the car currently has almost 60k miles on it and I want a shock thats going to be a nice upgrade from what Ive got now. I dont mind spending the extra money, but I want it to be best of both worlds. Whats the life expectancy of either one of the Hals. Im sure any shock is better than what Ive got, but I want something thats going to be a night and day difference. What kind of disadvantages do either one of the Hals going to have for street use? Thanks