Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR k member issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMR k member issue

I recently put the k member that was in my race car into my street car. Its about 4yrs old and before i installed it i had it sandblasted and powdercoated it. So i installed it and went to set the motor in with prothane mounts. Well i had a hard time aligning everything up to bolt it to the k member but i eventually got it in and thought nothing of it until now. Now that the headers(stepped Edelbrock) are back on with y pipe and a full catback i have literally zero ground clearance. Could having it powdercoated and heated up, messed it up and is sitting farthing down thus the headers sit down farther.

BMR feel free to chime if you have any ideas.

ill get some pictures up tomorrow so you can see my lack of ground clearance.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KsMySS
I recently put the k member that was in my race car into my street car. Its about 4yrs old and before i installed it i had it sandblasted and powdercoated it. So i installed it and went to set the motor in with prothane mounts. Well i had a hard time aligning everything up to bolt it to the k member but i eventually got it in and thought nothing of it until now. Now that the headers(stepped Edelbrock) are back on with y pipe and a full catback i have literally zero ground clearance. Could having it powdercoated and heated up, messed it up and is sitting farthing down thus the headers sit down farther.

Send a couple of pics to my E-mail lee@bmrfabrication.com so I can see what's going on....
Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

How in the heck could it A) "sit farther down", and B) cause the headers to sit farther down??

The only thing(s) that could POSSIBLY be wrong are the motor mount perches, but even then, if they were off by that much, then the transmission wouldn't have bolted up into place properly. However, if the motor is in the mounts, and the tranny is up in place, then the only reason for your exhaust to be low is if you actually BENT the headers DOWN.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
Send a couple of pics to my E-mail lee@bmrfabrication.com so I can see what's going on....
Will do, ill get them today.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
How in the heck could it A) "sit farther down", and B) cause the headers to sit farther down??

The only thing(s) that could POSSIBLY be wrong are the motor mount perches, but even then, if they were off by that much, then the transmission wouldn't have bolted up into place properly. However, if the motor is in the mounts, and the tranny is up in place, then the only reason for your exhaust to be low is if you actually BENT the headers DOWN.
Yah im with you man... i have no idea how it could have happened. I had these headers and k member on my other car and it didnt sit that low. If the headers are bent anywhere its up from scraping when the front end comes back down. I think the perches got fucked up during poweder coating somehow.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the perches got fucked up during poweder coating somehow.
I don't think the perches could have been messed up during powder coating. Someone would have had to do some serious damage with a torch or something like that to get those mounts to move. We really have not ever had any problems with BMR's products. Definitely get with Lee though, he will take care of you.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Powdercoated parts are cured at 350 to 400 degrees. That is not hot enough to affect the steel tubing.

Think of it like this....most aftermarket springs are powdercoated. If the curing process damaged the steel, then every set of springs out there would be weakened.

E-mail your pics to Lee. He is the best F-Body suspension guy in the industry. He'll figure it out for you!!

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302

Quick Reply: BMR k member issue