Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which suspension should I get / would fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which suspension should I get / would fit?

Hey all, I am hoping to pick up a 1979 Trans Am, with a 455.

However, the issue is that the rear suspension needs to be replaced. The owner said that the tires at some points hit the wheel wells.

Can you guys help me out here? What suspension should I get that affordable, since I'm practically broke, and will do a good job on the street?

Also, is there anyone in the chicagoland area that's is very knowledgeable? I'd greatly appreciate it!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

BMR will be releasing a torque arm suspension for the 2nd Gen F-Body before the end of the summer. This suspension includes a Watts Link, double adjustable coil-over shocks, an and integrated driveshaft loop. We have designed a suspension that works with a 10-bolt, 12-bolt, or Ford 9" rear axle housing.

Here is an image of the torque arm suspension for the first gen. The 2nd gen torque arm will be almost identical except for the trans mount.

Which suspension should I get / would fit?-tas002.jpg

Here are some of the features and benefits of the BMR torque arm suspension:
  • Includes double adjustable coil-over shocks with all mounting brackets, spacers, and hardware.
  • Eliminates the archaic leaf springs.
  • Includes a Watts Link that centers the rear axle housing and eliminates side-to-side movement.
  • The Watts Link has 5 vertical mounting positions. This allows it to be adjusted for different ride heights and roll centers.
  • Includes an integrated driveshaft loop.
  • The torque arm is mounted close to the driveshaft. It moves up and down simultaneously with the driveshaft, so there are no clearance issues.
  • The torque arm tucks up close to the driveshaft for maximum ground clearance.
  • The torque arm front mount has a greasable Delrin bushing that is fluted to hold the grease in the bushing where it belongs.
  • The Delrin bushing slides on a telescoping shaft which is allowed to pivot on a greasable, low-deflection polyurethane bushing.
  • The torque arm front mount can slide, rotate, and pivot freely for bind-free operation.
  • The lower control arms have 4 mounting locations to provide adjustability to the instant center location for a variety of horsepower levels.
  • The lower control arms mount to the rear axle housing with QA1 rod ends to allow full articulation and bind-free operation.
  • The lower control arms mount to the body with greasable, low-deflection polyurethane bushings to minimize noise, vibration, and harmonics. This poly/rod end combo is a great compromise between handling and ride characteristics.
  • Proudly Made in the USA by BMR employees at our Florida manufacturing facility.
A torque arm suspension is the ideal suspension design for cars that will be autocrossed, drag-raced, and street driven. The BMR torque arm suspension puts the instant center in a location that works well for all types of performance driving. It is a very simple installation that can easily be done by the average enthusiast in the driveway with normal hand tools. Average install time is expected to be 6-8 hours.

Check the current issue of High Performance Pontiac to learn more about the BMR Torque Arm Suspension.

Or you can go to the BMR website and learn more:
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/f1/f1ta.html

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like the springs/shocks are toast. I had Rancho Springs/shocks/bars all around on my 2nd gen and it was awesome. I have no idea if they are stillavailable.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Teching In

thanks guys! good info
Old 06-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
BMR will be releasing a torque arm suspension for the 2nd Gen F-Body before the end of the summer. This suspension includes a Watts Link, double adjustable coil-over shocks, an and integrated driveshaft loop. We have designed a suspension that works with a 10-bolt, 12-bolt, or Ford 9" rear axle housing.

Here is an image of the torque arm suspension for the first gen. The 2nd gen torque arm will be almost identical except for the trans mount.

Attachment 184509

Here are some of the features and benefits of the BMR torque arm suspension:
  • Includes double adjustable coil-over shocks with all mounting brackets, spacers, and hardware.
  • Eliminates the archaic leaf springs.
  • Includes a Watts Link that centers the rear axle housing and eliminates side-to-side movement.
  • The Watts Link has 5 vertical mounting positions. This allows it to be adjusted for different ride heights and roll centers.
  • Includes an integrated driveshaft loop.
  • The torque arm is mounted close to the driveshaft. It moves up and down simultaneously with the driveshaft, so there are no clearance issues.
  • The torque arm tucks up close to the driveshaft for maximum ground clearance.
  • The torque arm front mount has a greasable Delrin bushing that is fluted to hold the grease in the bushing where it belongs.
  • The Delrin bushing slides on a telescoping shaft which is allowed to pivot on a greasable, low-deflection polyurethane bushing.
  • The torque arm front mount can slide, rotate, and pivot freely for bind-free operation.
  • The lower control arms have 4 mounting locations to provide adjustability to the instant center location for a variety of horsepower levels.
  • The lower control arms mount to the rear axle housing with QA1 rod ends to allow full articulation and bind-free operation.
  • The lower control arms mount to the body with greasable, low-deflection polyurethane bushings to minimize noise, vibration, and harmonics. This poly/rod end combo is a great compromise between handling and ride characteristics.
  • Proudly Made in the USA by BMR employees at our Florida manufacturing facility.
A torque arm suspension is the ideal suspension design for cars that will be autocrossed, drag-raced, and street driven. The BMR torque arm suspension puts the instant center in a location that works well for all types of performance driving. It is a very simple installation that can easily be done by the average enthusiast in the driveway with normal hand tools. Average install time is expected to be 6-8 hours.

Check the current issue of High Performance Pontiac to learn more about the BMR Torque Arm Suspension.

Or you can go to the BMR website and learn more:
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/f1/f1ta.html
thats super nice, thanks for the info! im not ready to dish out 2600 lol, almost how much im buyin the car for....but thats an awsome website, and i found the shocks that will fit
thanks!
Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Teching In

So I found some shocks that will work, which won't set me back too much. However, is there a real noticeable difference between a $150 shock and a $250 shock? I'm just getting into the muscle car scene.

1) What exactly will the double and single adjustable shocks do for me?
2) Would it be difficult to install if I've never done anything like it? (work @ bike shop)
3) Will I need springs if I get a new suspension and vice versa?
4) Could someone link me with some springs that will fit a 2nd gen fbody?

I'd greatly appreciate it!!

Last edited by OnYoGooch; 06-21-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Also take a look at Hotchkis, and Global West suspension.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

PM sent.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW that BMR setup sounds kick ***. I wonder what shock they use??

What do they recommend for the front to make a good match??????

BMR????
Old 06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We use a double adjustable Afco shock on this set-up. That's part of the reason why the suspension is so expensive. Those coilovers are $850 per pair.

This rear suspension will be one of the best 2nd gen suspensions that money can buy. Afco makes some of the best coil-overs out there, so it is a perfect fit for this suspension.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302

Quick Reply: Which suspension should I get / would fit?