Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do I need new rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:27 PM
JJT
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need new rotors?

I'm putting in new shocks. I'm getting the sqeeky noise when I hit the brakes, so I'm pretty sure I need new brake pads too. I was thinking of just adding new rotors with the new shocks, and new brake pads. Is it worth getting new rotors too? Their still stock and have been on since 00. Any ideas? What is a good brand of brakes and rotors? I was thinking of Hawk Ceramic brake pads and Power-Drilled Cross fit rotors? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawks are great pads. I had the PowerSlots and then went to Brembo blanks. Is it a D/D? How many miles do you have? I would say yes unless you only have a few thousand miles on the car.

Bill
Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 346 Likes on 317 Posts

The squeak may not be your brake pads. I had the same thing happen, changed my brakes, and the squeak stayed. It turned out to be the hubs/bearings. (The load from braking was enough to get them to make noise.)

My OEM hubs lasted around 70K miles before they started squeaking. If you take your brakes and rotors off and turn the hub by hand, it should be smooth. If you hear clicking or feel grinding, it could be time for new hubs.

Quick Reply: Do I need new rotors?