Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering springs on stock shocks come in

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shepp1691
I have had a car with Konis on it and I think it drove like a peice of ****. Damn thing was entirely too stiff. Too each his own I guess, the guy asked for opinions so I gave have him mine.
You probably had them set wrong. You can make konis pretty damn soft if you turn the rebound down.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i wanted a comfy ride i would have gotten a caddillac.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Shepp1691
It was a 98 Z with weld in sub frame connectors and Im not sure what springs it had on it. The work was done before I purchased the car so chances are the set up could have been completely wrong. When I purchased my 02 3 years ago I put Eibach pro kit on it with stock springs and I dont mind the way it rides. Some people think they ride or drive like crap this way but I dont mind it at all. If he just wants the looks it wont hurt to try the springs by themselves and see what he thinks. Eibach does claim that these springs are made to be used with stock shocks. Just my opinion.
And that, in a nusthell is what is wrong with this world and the internet.

You don't know what springs, you don't what the shocks were set at. But you mentioned none of that--just that you had Koni's and it rode like ****.

Good that you like your ride. It's your car, most folks don't like the way the cars work (and some have even posted here).

As for Eibach claiming the spring are made to be used wtih stock shocks: What's the easiest way to sell something to someone--make them think they don't need anything else and that somehow magically the shocks meant for stock height and rate springs (and not all that good with those) can work with springs that are stiffer and shorter.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Everyone's an expert on the interweb
Old 06-24-2009, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

^ no ****..
Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

I am not understanding something here... whenever someone posts that he/she doesnt like Konis, it is demanded by some people (usually the same ones) that they present all this evidence and information about supporting mods/settings ect... about the car. I agree that there are many factors that go into how a car handles....

HOWEVER, where is this same line of logic for all of the people that rave about Konis who may or may not have any more experience with them (koni shocks) or their car as the people who bash them? I dont see anyone demanding to know information about peoples setup's when they say they undyingly love koni shocks.... interesting to me.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Launching!

I've been riding on sportlines with stock shocks for about about a year and 1/2 and everything has been good. I did it strictly for the looks while on dubs and TT2's. So if your gonna ask me about ride quality. I would'nt know what your talking about especially since I've had a cam installed on my TA before I have done all the above.LOL
Old 06-25-2009, 06:36 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1zfast
I am not understanding something here... whenever someone posts that he/she doesnt like Konis, it is demanded by some people (usually the same ones) that they present all this evidence and information about supporting mods/settings ect... about the car. I agree that there are many factors that go into how a car handles....

HOWEVER, where is this same line of logic for all of the people that rave about Konis who may or may not have any more experience with them (koni shocks) or their car as the people who bash them? I dont see anyone demanding to know information about peoples setup's when they say they undyingly love koni shocks.... interesting to me.

When someone is CLEARLY in an overwhelming minority, of course questions are going to be asked. Not neccesarily to bash, but to show the person what they are doing wrong, and how to correct it. On the other hand, you also have a bunch of broke *** slackers that bash anything they can't have. They need to be sorted out and dismissed when reading opinions.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

I like to read Sam Strano posts !! .. I feel something different
Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls1zfast
Why does this make people so defensive? The guy said he thought Konis were too rough and then said he never made adjustments. "I think konis are way too rough and can't ever ride good, even though I never spent any time to adjust them..." is basically what he said. Konis can be set pretty soft or set pretty stiff. Saying that and not ever making adjustments is just pure misleading information.

I guess if you guys want to ask people about our settings/setups when someone says they like their Konis then by all means go ahead. This is a free forum for discussion, and I like details when people review their setups anyways.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont see how people spend so much money on Konis and yet never adjust the damn things. When I first put my Konis on my car, I almost wanted to take them off because they were so stiff. After a few adjustments, their def. staying on.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Posts 28, 30, and 31 I think about cover it. You have folks who have got Koni's, seen what they can do when adjusted properly for the situation. And post 31 shows exactly what I meant about not comdeming them until you can know what you are dealing with. When the guy never knew where they were adjusted, or tried to find out and/or change it, he shouldn't be comdeming the shocks. If Greekey did that he's hate his car, clearly after some adjusting to suit him--he doesn't as witnessed by the statement "After a few adjustments, their def. staying on.".

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wing Zer0
I've been riding on sportlines with stock shocks for about about a year and 1/2 and everything has been good. I did it strictly for the looks while on dubs and TT2's. So if your gonna ask me about ride quality. I would'nt know what your talking about especially since I've had a cam installed on my TA before I have done all the above.LOL

exactly!! im looking into getting lowering springs also. i think its funny when people who run lowering spring on stock shocks get blasted for doing so.. people act like this is a damn mercedes, or a cadiallac. im sure there are people who have no problems with a good "QUALITY" lowering spring and stock shocks. i just got 18" Z06 rims and want to get rid of the 4X4 look which is why i want to lower it. i could care less about trying to hook on a corner and so fourth. i rarely ever drive my car at all. i dont have the money for some shocks. and dont mind the ride being rough.. our cars leak all over the place, and **** falls off and people want a comfy ride..
Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
exactly!! im looking into getting lowering springs also. i think its funny when people who run lowering spring on stock shocks get blasted for doing so.. people act like this is a damn mercedes, or a cadiallac. im sure there are people who have no problems with a good "QUALITY" lowering spring and stock shocks. i just got 18" Z06 rims and want to get rid of the 4X4 look which is why i want to lower it. i could care less about trying to hook on a corner and so fourth. i rarely ever drive my car at all. i dont have the money for some shocks. and dont mind the ride being rough.. our cars leak all over the place, and **** falls off and people want a comfy ride..
If your car leaks and has "****" falling off you need to get it fixed.

It isn't a Cadillac but the car is not supposed to ride like ****. There is a way with quality dampers to dampen the springs and not ride like crap. BTW, I don't want my car to ride like most Cadillacs as they bounce and float; I bought Konis to adjust the shocks for a firm but compliant ride.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:45 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

I ran my DMS springs with new decarbons (I got them very cheap from SLP as takeoffs several years ago). the decarbons were not old or worn. the ride sucked. maybe you're one of the youngsters that don't care about quality, but what you get will be a shitty ride. your car will be laughable compared to how it could be, but if you don't care or can't afford better then have at it. I think your 18s will make it even worse then mine was. if you don't drive it much now, you'll want to drive it even less.
btw - my car doesn't leak or have stuff fall off.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
If your car leaks and has "****" falling off you need to get it fixed.

It isn't a Cadillac but the car is not supposed to ride like ****. There is a way with quality dampers to dampen the springs and not ride like crap. BTW, I don't want my car to ride like most Cadillacs as they bounce and float; I bought Konis to adjust the shocks for a firm but compliant ride.

im saying that these cars arent the meant to be the most comfy..lol. peoples T-TOPS leak, and oil leaks, and crappy window motors and so fourth and people want a comfy ride..lol. i agree, i dont want to completely have a uncomfortable ride. but if i got to put up with a little bumpy ride to until i get some shocks i could deal with it. im cammed, and about to add 3" duals.. thats really not gonna be too pleasant. but my car will never see the track, im not trying to hook a corner.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:55 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

you use your shocks everytime your car is in motion. like Sam always says - your car doesn't know if you're racing or taking an exit ramp on a cruise. good shocks are for every car in every situation and not only for race tracks. why not make your car something nice instead of turning into a junker by making it ride like crap?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pjb
I ran my DMS springs with new decarbons (I got them very cheap from SLP as takeoffs several years ago). the decarbons were not old or worn. the ride sucked. maybe you're one of the youngsters that don't care about quality, but what you get will be a shitty ride. your car will be laughable compared to how it could be, but if you don't care or can't afford better then have at it. I think your 18s will make it even worse then mine was. if you don't drive it much now, you'll want to drive it even less.
btw - my car doesn't leak or have stuff fall off.

dont get me wrong, i might save and get springs/shocks done at the same time. looking into some tokico shocks. but i know there are alot of people that run lowering springs on stock shocks and have no problems. i mean if people are running lowering spring and stock shocks and dont rides fine, then why would u blast them?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:58 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

when I want a rough ride I get on this, but I knew that when I got it!!!! you're going to make yours ride like crap when you don't have to!
Attached Thumbnails lowering springs on stock shocks come in-2005lsc.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

if people are running lowering spring and stock shocks with no problem then why would u say its stupid?

I'd say its stupid because I've already done it myself.

Quick Reply: lowering springs on stock shocks come in