Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering springs on stock shocks come in

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering springs on stock shocks come in

Im looking at buying some lowering springs for my 2001 Camaro SS but dont have the funds to buy koni shocks just yet.I have searched but failed to find a review of lowering springs on stock shocks. What are your impressions regarding ride quality?
Old 06-22-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 862 Likes on 658 Posts

Wasting your time and money. Buy shocks first.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Wasting your time and money. Buy shocks first.
Did you have a bad experience?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its pretty simple to understand why it will be worse.

the shock is designed to control stock ride height and stock spring rate. It is TERRIBLE at doing even that.

If you nearly double the spring rate and decrease the travel by over 1" that shock will not be able to properly dampen the spring. You will most likely destroy what is left of the stock shock very quickly.

The ride will be worse, and the control won't really increase much.

I would highly recommend saving up to get konis and keep stock springs (do lower perch and hose mod) if you are short on cash.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your stock shocks will not last long with lowering springs, plain and simple. You need shocks that are manufactured for lowering springs. IMHO, save your funds for shocks before going with springs.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
its pretty simple to understand why it will be worse.

the shock is designed to control stock ride height and stock spring rate. It is TERRIBLE at doing even that.

If you nearly double the spring rate and decrease the travel by over 1" that shock will not be able to properly dampen the spring. You will most likely destroy what is left of the stock shock very quickly.

The ride will be worse, and the control won't really increase much.

I would highly recommend saving up to get konis and keep stock springs (do lower perch and hose mod) if you are short on cash.
I absolutely agree with this statement.
In fact this is the same thing I tell anyone else that asks me about Spring/Shock combo's
Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

I have been runnin stock shocks with Eiback pro kit for 10k miles with no problems. It does make the ride a little springy, but on the power tour i loaded four people down in the z and shocks only bottomed out a couple times. All shocks will do is make it ride more like a wash board. Do the springs for the looks and be done with it.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shepp1691
I have been runnin stock shocks with Eiback pro kit for 10k miles with no problems. It does make the ride a little springy, but on the power tour i loaded four people down in the z and shocks only bottomed out a couple times. All shocks will do is make it ride more like a wash board. Do the springs for the looks and be done with it.
Don't listen to this guy unless you want your car to ride like crap.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

The shocks don't keep you from "bottoming out". In fact all cars will get on teh rear bumpstops regardless of what shocks or springs they are on. Happens stock... isn't that "bottoming out"?

No problems other than the ride being a little springy? Um, that's like saying my engine runs fine other than a little detonation, but it's ok, it's only when I floor it....

All shocks will do is make it ride worse? Can I have some of what you are smoking? Shitty shocks might well make it ride worse, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with any spring, stock or lowering who went from stock shocks to something better (not talking about Monroes or Gabriels here) and thought the result was worse. Sorry. In fact the best thing you can for the ride quality with regard to impact harshness is to upgrade the shocks.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-22-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is probably one of the most ***-backward posts I've read in a while. After being on good shocks I would never own another fbody without them, hell I'd even go as far to say I wouldn't drive the car until I installed them... Konis on other wise stock suspension made my car ride similar to a BMW.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One of the first things I did was put springs on my car when I got it. It drove fine til I put bigger wheels and low profile tires on. Now it feels like I'm driving a tank. My recommendation would be to get the shocks first or both. I regret doing the springs by themselves but I will be putting the shocks on this weekend.

Last edited by JeaneZ28; 06-22-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

My brother has BMR lowering springs with stock de carbons. Its like being on a trampoline.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry for the threas hijack but has anyone had KYB with lowering springs if so what did you think of them?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
This is probably one of the most ***-backward posts I've read in a while. After being on good shocks I would never own another fbody without them, hell I'd even go as far to say I wouldn't drive the car until I installed them... Konis on other wise stock suspension made my car ride similar to a BMW.

Haha.. I guess its all a matter of personal experience... or lack therof.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It rides like crap. I did that in my red Camaro. About two weeks after riding like that, I blew the right front strut. Fluild poured out of the top and covered my control arms. It was probally the worst idea I have ever done. I would buy you some springs/shocks at the smae time.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

I have had a car with Konis on it and I think it drove like a peice of ****. Damn thing was entirely too stiff. Too each his own I guess, the guy asked for opinions so I gave have him mine.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

excellent input guys..the responses have been helpfull and I think ill just have to stick with truck look for a while
Old 06-23-2009, 04:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I have had a car with Konis on it and I think it drove like a peice of ****. Damn thing was entirely too stiff. Too each his own I guess, the guy asked for opinions so I gave have him mine.
How about some more detail, because you are in a huge minority... For instance to condemn them for ride if you ran around with the settings screwed up is pretty silly. I don't know that was the case, but in all but about 2 or 3 cases like this--it was learned that the settings were way, way off what they should have been.

More over, what kind of car was it? Some cars and suspension designs just ride like ****. What, if any, other mods were done?

Your opinion is welcome, but I'd like some supporting details or facts.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-23-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did probably the worst thing imaginable, and slapped a set of sportlines on 130k decarbons. It was awesome looking, but the ride made me imagine an elephant riding a skateboard. It bottomed out on dust specks it was so low and bouncy.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

It was a 98 Z with weld in sub frame connectors and Im not sure what springs it had on it. The work was done before I purchased the car so chances are the set up could have been completely wrong. When I purchased my 02 3 years ago I put Eibach pro kit on it with stock springs and I dont mind the way it rides. Some people think they ride or drive like crap this way but I dont mind it at all. If he just wants the looks it wont hurt to try the springs by themselves and see what he thinks. Eibach does claim that these springs are made to be used with stock shocks. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: lowering springs on stock shocks come in