Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pfadt coil overs and all the goodies too, (Michigan roads) ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most suspension upgrades are, all depends on how mechanically inclined you are
Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
most suspension upgrades are, all depends on how mechanically inclined you are
Thanks man, I'll have help. My friend has 24 years and then some as a master mechanic.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by roy
2004 factory SACHS Z06 shocks. Don't cost an arm an a leg and work great.
a lot of guys use these for racing too
Old 07-07-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

no problem!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I need to clarify, I will NOT be AX'ing with this car. I want as much stability via the suspension as possible at,.....lets just say the top of 5th gear.

I also need to remind everyone that I forgot to adjust air psi for the cooler temps we had in Michigan vs Georgia. When I did that the majority of the issue I was having disappeared. Car felt a lot more sure. 35psi HOT is much better then 23-26 cold....
Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Whats your opinion on the Michelin PS2's ?
For daily driving... overpriced? They are good tires, but I think you can get a better bang for your buck tire.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28bryan
For daily driving... overpriced? They are good tires, but I think you can get a better bang for your buck tire.
I paid 520 mounted and shipped ?? Is that over priced ? I used to have a hook up.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I paid 520 mounted and shipped ?? Is that over priced ? I used to have a hook up.
520 for 4 Michelins? That's some mad hookups right there! I just assumed you couldn't get corvette Michelins for much less than 250 bucks a tire. Usually Michelin is pretty expensive. For a daily driving tire I don't like to spend a ton of money. I think many cheaper name brand tires can accomplish the daily job easily. If you can get them for that price then I'd probably go for that option.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't have the vette ownership experience but used to service many of them and have played with my car's suspension quite a bit.

Your car had a very, very decent suspension off the floor. However, it's 9-10 years old and I promise the shocks are in the decline curve of their lifespan. The vette forum may provide some help or may confuse you further with more and more suggestions.

I do know that the dampers/shocks are almost as important on vettes as f-bods, even though the vettes are much better set up out of the gate. I would recommend listening (on the phone) to Sam as he knows what he is doing. He is a stand up guy who spends time helping folks, before and after the sale. He also recommends less expensive parts on a regular basis, when he could easily sell something more. This is credibility from my experience.

If I were you, I'd strap on the Konis (I am about to pull the trigger on this myself), though I suspect the Bilsteins would do you right also. Given that it appears you are keeping this car for a while, the lifetime warranty on the Konis is a BIG plus. No more worries on the shocks.

Beyond that, check ALL the factory joints and bushings and replace and lube as needed, then get a quality 4 corner alignment.

The only other thing you may consider is the Z06 sway bars, or something comparable. The additional flatness, plus the control of new shocks, should really help your confidence at speed. It did in my little cheap car.

Actually, I'd really do a brake upgrade too, considering your intended *theoretical* application.

For tires, the Michelins or Goodyear GSD3s are tops. I prefer Goodyear, simply because Michelin is a French company.
Personally, I think I get 90-95% of that performance for half the price with my Firestone Wide Ovals. I was stunned at the wet and dry traction, comfort, and WEAR. I am no granny driver all the time and I got almost 50k out of my last set! They are durable too. When I pulled my last rear pair off at the wear bars, there were chunks out of the middle of the tread on both and 2 nails in each, and they both held air rock solid. If they made a 315 in this tire, it's what I'd have gotten. They do make the standard C5 and C5Z06 sizes.

Hope this helps.

J

Last edited by jmilz28; 07-08-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Pfadt coil overs and all the goodies too, (Michigan roads) ???