Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pfadt coil overs and all the goodies too, (Michigan roads) ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pfadt coil overs and all the goodies too, (Michigan roads) ???

Just looking for input from anyone with a corvette and the Pfadt coilover package and the rest of the goodies. Fr/Rr sway bars, end links, bushings, mounts, trans brace, etc etc.

How are the roads that you drive on ? Michigan residents preferred, but all comments appreciated and welcome.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think I am going to have to do something possibly this year if I want to drive safely at high speed. I got a chance to go in tonight for TRIPLE time so I jumped in the car and eased her from my driveway to the expressway. Once I got to the area of the Expressway where the cops are non existent I dropped the hammer. Above 125 she is loose. I am guessing the RWTQ I am making is causing the car to get loose. Please don't laugh if I am describing my circumstances incorrectly, I am just trying to get some opinions, and read others experiences about what to do .....

Anyways is my suspension (9yrs old) z51 pkg done, or am I just at a power level that is causing the suspension to be overworked??

Thanks in advance.

Strongly considering the Pfadt coilovers and all the other little stuff, what do you think?
Old 07-04-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug,

I think a set of Coilovers will cure that problem.

I got a friend with a 2002 Z06, has just a Raptor XXL intake, a bridge and a Borla Stinger CB, oh and a B&M shifter, and he raced a 03 with a Kenne Bell, anyways, they went up to 160 on the Freeway. He hit a bump on the road at like 120-120, and his car looked like it drifted. He said he got scared like crazy but since nothing happened, he just hammered it again.

He now has LG coilovers, I think they are the best, and his car is just planted at ALL times.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

The LG Coilovers sound good but are a little out of my price range. I am strongly considering the Pfadt coilovers, equally as good, but a good chunk of cash cheaper. I would also get the anti sway bars, etc etc etc. Vengeance Racing offers several packages, but I can't afford it yet. You know how it is with house payments and the rest of the BS we HAVE to deal with. If OT keeps up, I might even make it back down threre this year to have VR do it. Probably not though, as its nearly impossible to get vacation at my job even though I accrue 12 hours a month. Too many high seniority officers that beat you to the punch.

Thanks for sharing your experience. That was exactly what I am looking for.

A better way to describe my car rather then saying "loose" is that it feels like its floating a little vs being tied to the road.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Just looking for input from anyone with a corvette and the Pfadt coilover package and the rest of the goodies. Fr/Rr sway bars, end links, bushings, mounts, trans brace, etc etc.

How are the roads that you drive on ? Michigan residents preferred, but all comments appreciated and welcome.

As a former "non-FRC" C5 coupe owner, I haven't had a direct experience with the Pfadt coil-overs, but with several others. I actually tried many packages and for the street, this combination I discovered to be best for ride and performance:

1. Koni 3013 front and rear adjustible shocks (ironically already came with car)
2. stock rear and Z51 front sway bars w/ "metallic" Z06 end links (wanted to try a 32mm front but never got the chance).
3. Z06 front and rear leaf springs with modified "lowering bolt" kit (set to about .5" lower than stock rode height).
4. Stock front and rear brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, and Ate Super Blue.
5. Z06 front and rear wheels.

The results I observed with this setup compared to the others I worked with were:

1. Rode much better than the other "coil-over" and "fancy aftermarket" kits and handled those nasty unpredictable road abnormalities significantly better than the others (provided they weren't significant enough to exceed the C5's suspension travel, which could obviously damage ANY C5/C6).
2. Cheaper and easier to source than the other kits.
3. Performed better on several "homemade" AX courses than all of the other kits.

An interesting thing to note is that even though the transverse leaf springs look "fugly" to some people, they're actually:

1. Very light compared to metallic coil wound springs.
2. generally easy to source (can't answer that now since many OE auto parts suppliers have issues at the moment).
3. Easy to adjust for ride height through really cheap, but reliable "bolt" kits.

As strange as this may seem, this isn't all too surprising to me because like almost all vehicles out there, proper shock valving, spring rates, and sway bar diameters is what really makes or breaks a vehicle's performance (given the modifications that are being done).

Last edited by Foxxtron; 07-05-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

...A better way to describe my car rather then saying "loose" is that it feels like its floating a little vs being tied to the road.
There's a 99% chance that's a shock problem. I've been in lots of other C5 owner's cars that have had the stock shocks and that's what we've always felt with them. Just cannot answer how many of them replaced their shocks, and for which specific ones for those who may have.

Bad shocks significantly make or break ride and handling performance.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:05 AM
roy
TECH Resident

2004 factory SACHS Z06 shocks. Don't cost an arm an a leg and work great.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
As a former "non-FRC" C5 coupe owner, I haven't had a direct experience with the Pfadt coil-overs, but with several others. I actually tried many packages and for the street, this combination I discovered to be best for ride and performance:

1. Koni 3013 front and rear adjustible shocks (ironically already came with car)
2. stock rear and Z51 front sway bars w/ "metallic" Z06 end links (wanted to try a 32mm front but never got the chance).
3. Z06 front and rear leaf springs with modified "lowering bolt" kit (set to about .5" lower than stock rode height).
4. Stock front and rear brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, and Ate Super Blue.
5. Z06 front and rear wheels.

The results I observed with this setup compared to the others I worked with were:

1. Rode much better than the other "coil-over" and "fancy aftermarket" kits and handled those nasty unpredictable road abnormalities significantly better than the others (provided they weren't significant enough to exceed the C5's suspension travel, which could obviously damage ANY C5/C6).
2. Cheaper and easier to source than the other kits.
3. Performed better on several "homemade" AX courses than all of the other kits.

An interesting thing to note is that even though the transverse leaf springs look "fugly" to some people, they're actually:

1. Very light compared to metallic coil wound springs.
2. generally easy to source (can't answer that now since many OE auto parts suppliers have issues at the moment).
3. Easy to adjust for ride height through really cheap, but reliable "bolt" kits.

As strange as this may seem, this isn't all too surprising to me because like almost all vehicles out there, proper shock valving, spring rates, and sway bar diameters is what really makes or breaks a vehicle's performance (given the modifications that are being done).
Now that's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks a lot for the top quality first hand info.

There's a 99% chance that's a shock problem. I've been in lots of other C5 owner's cars that have had the stock shocks and that's what we've always felt with them. Just cannot answer how many of them replaced their shocks, and for which specific ones for those who may have.

Bad shocks significantly make or break ride and handling performance.
I will look into next weekend when I will probably have some time off.

Originally Posted by roy
2004 factory SACHS Z06 shocks. Don't cost an arm an a leg and work great.

Another good option, thanks for the suggestion. Any adjustability with them? I am looking for something to adjust when I arrive at the track to avoid wheel hop, then want to tighten her up to handle like she's on rails when I leave the track. Also want to be done with suspension, and have been told the PFadt setup is the best. Just asking around.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

...Now that's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks a lot for the top quality first hand info.
Well, in all fairness I must admit that there's this older thread that forced me to go back to basics: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...f-springs.html

Sam Strano has been around quite a bit of AX competition circles more than I have, so he really catches lots of observations more so than I do. He's also had a chance to work with many of the competitive cars around there as well.

What I tend to do is take any parts I obtain, perform some engineering analyses with them, and then run them over several "homemade" AX courses (and even some open tracks when I can afford to do so). This is actually similar to what OE's would do.

However, I can say this that "not having all of the money upfront" isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can force someone to really scrutinise what certain modifications are really about before lightening their wallet and that's what I consider a good thing.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

You have been most helpful. Due to circumstances beyond my control (translation I am not providing details so don't ask) I have been all over the Metro Detroit area taking advantage of the near empty expressways. I 696 E and W. I 75 N and S. Long story short the car felt better ? I checked air psi and found I was running "fast" on 27 psi. Upped the psi to 34 "hot" and most of the floating, or loose feeling was gone. I guess due to the cold air that has moved into SE Michigan I neglected to adjust my tire psi that I set in Georgia before I drove home in 95+ degree temps. My bad forgot how cooler air likes to contract.

I'll post more as data is acquired. "how's that for technical sounding LOL"

On a side note, running in 6th gear at speeds over 100 mph the 402 is still managing 20+ mpg !!!!! Readout is 24+ so real mileage is at least 20 mpg.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm glad you mentioned tyre pressure because as you and I know, that's a the major factor that made my WAG of "99%" chance suddenly significantly become lower and I consider that a good thing.

A major mod that can eventually help you is definitely performance shocks, and that can definitely help with that serious performance machine you've got.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm glad you mentioned tyre pressure because as you and I know, that's a the major factor that made my WAG of "99%" chance suddenly significantly become lower and I consider that a good thing.

A major mod that can eventually help you is definitely performance shocks, and that can definitely help with that serious performance machine you've got.
I really do appreciate all the good information. I now have some information on things to educate myself on before I make a decision. I suppose had I gotten the TPMS's for my chrome c5zo6 rims I wouldn't have had to check them manually to verify my suspicion on low tire PSI. PS2's don't even look low when they are, so visually checking isn't enough. You gotta actually put a guage on them. I even rechecked them after a 20 mile sprint to downtown Detroit and found the drive didn't add enough psi for "high" speed runs so I added 2 additional pounds and she felt even better at speed.

Question, can't high speed cause enough down force to cause low tire pressure tires to "squat" a bit ?

I hope my questios conveys my thoughts accurately.

Thanks again to everyone for all the good info, and suggestions. Pfadt is still the way I am leaving so I can do it and be done, but price is a factor.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Doug, I drive a slammed C5 in SE Michigan. Lowered all the way down up front on C6 bolts and longer rears set up to level with front... car is LOW. I don't have any issues with bottoming out, only out and in sometimes on steep curb driveways if I don't angle it enough but even then it only hits my fattdaddy rollers. The suspension was VERY hoppy on stock shocks so I just tossed in some PFADT 16 way adjustable inverted shocks. Couldn't be happier! Car rides amazing now! PFADT FTMFW!!!!!!! I would highly suggest PFADT products for your suspension, and the coilovers would be an awesome choice! You won't have any issues on the roads with a lowered stance, the C5 is an awesome platform that works VERY well with slammed suspension.

Talk to Jordan @ PFADT about what your looking for and he will set you up, he's an awesome guy and very helpful... responds to e-mails fast and detailed! Tell him I sent you, and he'll hook it up nice with a special they have running! PM coming also!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

FWIW, the stock 2004 Z06 shocks aren't bad, but if you don't have them it's silly to buy them as the Bilstein Sports have a very similar damping curve, cost about the same--but have a warranty.

That said, I setup a lot of C5 and C6's for autox. I use Koni's, and the cars I setup are top of the heap speed wise, faster than cars with Pfadt shocks, Penske 8300's, stock, etc. In fact over the last 4 years or so cars I've done have been the fastest SuperStock Vette's @ Solo Nationals and also won two ASP titles too. Last year another guy won ASP (who's a very, very good driver) in a car on Penske's.... can't win them all.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-07-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow the master Mr Sam Strano everybody !!

Mr. Strano if you wouldn't mind would you email me a quote for everything I need to handle the streets at 200 mph

My email is allngn_c5@yahoo.com

I am leaning towards Pfadt due to a connection I have. I'd love to look at what you can do for me on this issue.

One other thing, a lot, if not all of my complaints were alleviated by adding tire pressure. All tires had 35 psi HOT and the car handled much better at the top of 5th

I forgot to check and adjust tire pressure for the cooler temps we were experiencing in Michigan vs Georgia 100*'s
Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Sarcasm will get you everywhere.... Go ahead and run the Pfadt stuff if you want, no sweat off my nose.

First off I don't think that coil-overs are at all necessary. The stock springs are light, and effective. The dampers matter for stability, a ton. Lowering the car to keep air from packing under would help, but not too much because then you have travel issues which can upset the car as well as geometry issues from too much drop, start in with bump-steer adn all that at 4 corners on a Corvette.

Proper tires, something meant to handle speed would be wise, nothing cheap and nothing geared toward street over true performance driving. In fact something like Michelin Pilot Sport Cups would be a good suggestion.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-07-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't made a decision on my setup yet, still researching and saving. My last couple adventures have taken a bit out of my budget.

I really need the most bang for my buck.

Whats your opinion on the Michelin PS2's ?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just noticed the link in your sig (sorry been working 16 hr shifts 4 day in a row now a little sleep deprived) and checked it out. Looks like 1400 can get me the front sway with end links, and a set of 4 inverted shocks.

Question, what do I give up vs gain by not using/using coil over shocks ?? Or better yet your Konis vs Pfadt coil over. Feel free to pm or post here, your choice.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

you really don't need to drop the coin on Pfadt coilovers to handle good. Look at the street cars that are racing, SCCA Touring 1: The package consists of a spec GM manufactured T-1 spring and front/rear swaybars with the option to run any shocks we want. the T-1 swaybars are adjustable, or at least the rear..I don't remember if the new front bar is adjustable, but the new rear is adjustable.

Look on corvetteforum in the autocross/road-race section and theres always T-1 suspension stuff for sale. Trust me when I say I know the T-1 stuff works, look at my sig and google the T-1 guys track times at different tracks. Get some new eccentrics to get more negative camber and you're set. As for shocks I'm running Penske adjustables and am liking the setup a lot

I'm not trying to take any business away from you Sam, you know I support you..and I'll be calling tomorrow to order some more Super Blue
Old 07-07-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just want you guys to know that I really appreciate the information you are giving me. I am glad I am working OT for the 4th day in a row. I just might be able to afford a serious upgrade. Would you consider the 4 shocks and front sway bar a DIY in the driveway with jackstands ??

The logic behind the Pfadt selection was to be an end all be all overkill.

Quick Reply: Pfadt coil overs and all the goodies too, (Michigan roads) ???