Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Caliper fell off.... Again

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep.. For bolts and pins for the front and rear it comes to $103.80. I am getting under the car right now. Hopefully I can fix this problem.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Someone suggested I use teflon tape and loctite. Would that help or hinder?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, teflon tape and locktite don't go together. When you wrap the bolt with teflon tape, the metal won't come in contact so the locktite will be useless.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, unless you wrap half bolt (close to bolt head), and apply locktite to the unwrap section. That MIGHT work.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, try PM partstaxi or SDPC. Maybe get a pair of used bracket with guide pin and bolt here or junkyard.

I really don't think your drag pack cause the problem. Think about the srteet condition is not perfect. It gotta be something wrong mechanically.

Last edited by darknessxyz; 07-02-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

That does seem a little steep. Give me a call or shoot an email and I'd be glad to help you out.
Thanks
Kevin
www.PartsTaxi.com
Old 07-03-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Resident

Well I went around all the breaks today and pulled everything... I cleaned all of the bolts and threads on everything, and got a few new bolts I needed. After cleaning everything I went back around and put RED loctite on everything and torqued the bolts down as close to spec as I could guess just by hand (didnt have torque wrench). And I deflated the air bags as well so the ride should be a lot smoother with much less vibration. No reason I should have this problem again... Hopefully I dont.

AND while I had the wheels off I did realize the this **** really did damage my wheel. I can see and feel little "dimples" on the metal on the inside ring of my wheel where the bracket got stuck... I must say I am a little pissed off about that one. Looks like I need to hunt for some spare wheel parts...
Old 07-03-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

How in the heck do you guys have bolts just "come loose"?!?!?! I have NEVER used a drop of Loctite since whatever the factory put on, I've had the brakes off and back on NUMEROUS times (swapping pads for the track, etc.) and my car has almost ~80k miles on it!! Maybe you just need a little more muscle next time you install the bolts?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 343 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-Camaro-98
and torqued the bolts down as close to spec as I could guess just by hand (didnt have torque wrench).
I think this is your issue. You've spent thousands of dollars on go-fast parts but don't have a proper torque wrench. This needs to be your best purchase. Once you have it, you'll be amazed at how often you use it. (Your wheels will love you for it, also.)

Until you get the proper torque on the bolts, all of the locktite in the world and voodoo magic won't help you. If you under torque, the bolts will vibrate out. (even with locktite) If you over torque, you could over strain the bolts and cause them to yield. Either condition is unsafe.

Unless you are taking roids like a homerun king, I doubt you can get a full 75 ft lb on the caliper bracket bolts. That's a lot of force in a very awkward place. (The torque wrench will give you additional leverage.)
Old 07-04-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

I do own a torque wrench but it is about 160 miles away so it really doesn't do me a whole lot of good right now...

Quick Reply: Caliper fell off.... Again