Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Caliper fell off.... Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Caliper fell off.... Again

So what does a guy need to do to keep his caliper on the car for crying out loud... My rear passenger caliper fell off about 1 month ago(https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...help-asap.html)... I went got some new bolts put on some RED Loctite and called it good. Now even with the red loctite on it fall off again.. This time I was literally stuck, the caliper was wedged against my wheel so I had to get under the car in the middle of the road with an officer behind me directing traffic.. Luckily I had one of the spare bolts in the car and put it on. It got me home and the bolt was already almost out by the time I got there(I used the e-brake the whole way.) What could be causing these bolts to be backing out?? The only reason I can come up with is my two drag packs I have in each rear spring. I have them to keep my wheels from hitting my rear quarter panels but it does make for a bumpy ride... If I were to take those out or even deflate them to smooth out the ride would that eliminate this issue? I dont know what else to do. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

You are holding the sleeve when tightening the bolts, right?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

+2, takes two wrenches to tighten those,, the inner pin has two flat edges that you hold with a wrench, while you tighten the bolt with another wrench. Be careful not to rip your boot holding that pin. I cant remember the sizes.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Well let me clarify that this time it was my upper abutment bracket bolt that came loose and it just pivoted on the bottom bolt and that how it got wedged. So there isn't even a sleeve to hold onto for that bolt, just the bolt itself...
Old 06-30-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 71-Camaro-98
Well let me clarify that this time it was my upper abutment bracket bolt that came loose and it just pivoted on the bottom bolt and that how it got wedged. So there isn't even a sleeve to hold onto for that bolt, just the bolt itself...
If that hole isn't stripped and the bolt is the correct size there is no reason it would come loose, especially w/ loctite. These are stock brackets, calipers, and bolts?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

yep, stock everything.. I knew there was no reason it should back out, and no the hole is not stripped. Like I said I have very heavy vibration in the rear because of the drag packs, but I dont want to use anything heavier than red loctite or else I will never be able to get my brakes off if I do (and it works)... So I guess I will get back under there and recheck/tighten everything and use red loctite again and just hope it works. I am also going to deflate my air bags to almost 0ps1 so the ride will be not nearly as harsh. Hopefully that works.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll get a new guide pin and bolt from the DEALER and see what happen. I don't even use locktite on the brake (I know I should) and never had any problem.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Loctite, or some other brand threadlocker is must. There is threadlocker on the bolts from GM, and it's often enough to hold stuff tight, but you can't rely on it. Threadlocker, threadlocker, threadlocker.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-30-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
+2, takes two wrenches to tighten those,, the inner pin has two flat edges that you hold with a wrench, while you tighten the bolt with another wrench. Be careful not to rip your boot holding that pin. I cant remember the sizes.
Hmmm. I just did my rear brakes on my 98 Z28 and I just used a single ratchet to tighten the caliper bolts(was the 1st time I ever did brakes); did I do something wrong? I tightened the bolts as tight as I could and so far I havn't had any problems.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

I think I will go to the dealer and get those tomorrow just so I am sure I am getting what I need.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99monguse
Hmmm. I just did my rear brakes on my 98 Z28 and I just used a single ratchet to tighten the caliper bolts(was the 1st time I ever did brakes); did I do something wrong? I tightened the bolts as tight as I could and so far I havn't had any problems.
Sometimes the slide pins won't rotate too much and you'll be able to tighten it down.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by darknessxyz
I'll get a new guide pin and bolt from the DEALER and see what happen. I don't even use locktite on the brake (I know I should) and never had any problem.
First time I did them I put threadlocker on them. Second time I didn't use threadlocker and after the most recent change I can't tell any difference with or without. Bolts stayed very snug.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Red face

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Loctite, or some other brand threadlocker is must. There is threadlocker on the bolts from GM, and it's often enough to hold stuff tight, but you can't rely on it. Threadlocker, threadlocker, threadlocker.
Yea, I know, I know, I know.

I'm trying to make myself using them from now on. The only problem is to clean up the god damn bolt b4 you can re-use them.

Last edited by darknessxyz; 07-02-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes if you reuse the bolt the threads have to be cleaned up. I throw just a little heat at them to scorch the old thread locker and then I clean it off with a wire brush. If there is any residual oil, thread locker or random crap the adhesive can't/won't bond between the two threads. i.e you have to clean the female threads out as well which is easy to do on the caliper bracket threads but not so easy to do on the caliper guide pin bolts therefore I replace them every time I do a break job.

It's also very very important to tighten these bolts down to their proper spec. 75 ft*lbs for the caliper bracket bolts and 27 ft*lbs for the caliper guide pin bolts.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Heh, I just crank the bolts down with a ratchet until they are snug...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Launching!

check the axle seals, my old v6 had the calipers fall off due the seals failing and leaking onto the bolts, causing them to walk out.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Well.. I didnt see any fluid and since the dealer wants over $100 for bolts and pins (and non of them in stock) I am just going to use what I have.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well.. I didnt see any fluid and since the dealer wants over $100 for bolts and pins (and non of them in stock) I am just going to use what I have.
You've got to be fxxking kidding me!!! $100 for the bolts and pins? I'm sure the three GM parts sponsors here can help you out.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:15 AM
11 Second Club

$100???? Your getting robbed!

My dealer charged me $40 for new bolts (Front & rear) & pins but they did have to be ordered.

But I agree with major make sure you tq them down, I had a bolt come off completely and I thought I had them tight enough by hand.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it was more like 3-4 dollars per bolt when i got them about a year ago

Quick Reply: Caliper fell off.... Again