Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes are dragging bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009 | 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Default brakes are dragging bad

On my v6 firebird the front brakes are dragging. Im pretty sure its just the driver side caliper though. I fixed this once by greasing the slider pins which were completely dry and stuck. after i did this the car was perfect for about a month or 2. Now its doing the same thing. could the driver side caliper just need to be replaced? this is an old car with alot of miles. (93 130k miles) pedal feels fine, pumping the brakes doesnt do anything. Possibly rust inside the piston?

What do you guys think?
Old 07-05-2009 | 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the 93-97 cars have brackets like the 98 up? I had both a 95 and 97, but the 97 I upgraded to ls1 fronts so I don't remember.. Anyway it sounds like maybe the caliper isn't being held in the right position and is rubbing the rotor. I would say look at the bracket, but I don't know if those years have them.
Old 07-05-2009 | 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure but i think the calipers are just held on by the slider pins.
Old 07-06-2009 | 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

anymore thoughts?
Old 07-06-2009 | 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

make sure there is no rust on the bracket where the pad slides in and out. make sure its nice and smooth. if that doesnt work i would probably say the caliper is shot.
Old 07-06-2009 | 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gmmusclecarman
On my v6 firebird the front brakes are dragging. Im pretty sure its just the driver side caliper though. I fixed this once by greasing the slider pins which were completely dry and stuck. after i did this the car was perfect for about a month or 2. Now its doing the same thing. could the driver side caliper just need to be replaced? this is an old car with alot of miles. (93 130k miles) pedal feels fine, pumping the brakes doesnt do anything. Possibly rust inside the piston?

What do you guys think?
Sounds like it is time for a caliper rebuild to completely address the issues. If you can find LS1 take-offs that would be a worthy upgrade.

Quick Reply: brakes are dragging bad