Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help with top speed stability

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

To the OP, mitch is one of the most knowledgeable guys here.

I will echo the need for Konis first. That alone may do what you want for stability and confidence. I'll bet you it does.

The alignment is next. Some of our cars will get to 5+ in caster, some will not. It's luck of the draw, that's why it was suggested to go "max." This will affect how your car tracks and how it feels doing it. Follow the specs mitch recommended, they are exactly in line with the standard recommended on this site --- for good reason.

I'd do Strano's sway bars next, though many would tell you springs. I like the car to stay flat but still soak up bumps. If you can do both springs and sways, do both.

You've gotten great advice here, but all you need to do is listen to mitch and you'll be fine.

Ideally, Konis, Strano springs and sway bars, freshen up bushings, alignment. You'll think you have a better than new car. Konis and alignment are MOST important of that list, along with freshening the bushings.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:35 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffluck
a shop that does road racing cars did my alignment. they said they have worked on many f-bodys and never gotten a castor as high as mine, but they were very happy they did. they attributed the higher castor to the rear isolator being out (and my car already lowered), plus the weight of the stereo. it made the rear sit lower so that positive castor was easier to achieve.

you are right in the mere fact that a factory f-body could probably not get the castor i mentioned because of their design. but, that doesn't mean that if you could get those specs it is bad for the car because the car wasn't designed for it. you're on ls1tech...i'd say about 80% of the users on here do things to their car all the time that the cars weren't designed for. but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. any suspension guru will tell you more positive castor isn't going to hurt your car as long as you aren't sacrificing camber/toe.
I know what website i'm on, and I'm not arguing on if you could get those specs or not. Also, please spell Caster right if you're going to tell me about it.

Also, can you explain the bolded part to me. I'm not going to be pretend to be a suspension guru, but I don't see how you wouldn't make some sacrifice(+/-) in camber while changing caster, when it affects camber roll directly.
Sorry, if I come off dickish. I'm learning just like a lot of other people on here.

You can PM me if you like, so we can let this die.

Last edited by S2K; 11-18-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K
Also, can you explain the bolded part to me
A triangle is created by the camber mounting point, the caster mounting point and the point where all those measurments are made.

Move either the camber or caster, the measurement will change.

There is a point of diminishing returns, though. Maxing out negative camber, will limit the relative movement of the caster adjustment.

So at -0.5 camber, you might be able to get +6 caster.
If you move camber to -1.0, you might only see +4.5 caster.

Also, the reason more caster adds stability is because the turning radius becomes exponential. Intial input is slower and the movement ramps up as the steering wheel turns further.

And if you move either camber or caster, toe will change.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tony 2000
I would like to re do my intire suspension for top speed runs. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.
How fast you talkin, bro? The not-so-great aeros of these f-bods ain't helping you either. In addition to suspension/alignment, you should see improvements by making sure the front is lower than the rear, trimming the front air dam (chin spoiler) and maybe even getting a splitter for the nose.

I went from stock to the aforementioned mods (except the splitter), and saw a huge improvement at all speeds, especially north of 140. I'm running Strano springs/bars, Konis, and Mitch's alignment specs, but I left the isolators in the rear to keep it a bit high, and then put the front Konis on the lower perch to drop the nose more. I originally trimmed the air dam bc it would scrape on everything, and some people told me it would hurt aero, but I actually think it helps. It doesn't seem like its in the right location to help aero; it just forces air up to the radiator and creates high pressure under the hood which creates lift and hurts handling. My logic might be off, but my car is rock solid at speed (and doesn't overheat either).
Old 11-19-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevynation
It doesn't seem like its in the right location to help aero; it just forces air up to the radiator and creates high pressure under the hood which creates lift and hurts handling. My logic might be off, but my car is rock solid at speed (and doesn't overheat either).
It will direct air up and through the radiator and into the engine compartment.

But the LOW pressure zone it creates behind the lower air dam, pulls that air out of the engine bay and under the car. That's the lift you feel.

If you pull the weather strip between the hood and cowl, it will pull air into the engine bay, not release it out. You don;t want to do this because it the packs the engine bay with air and reduces flow across the radiator.

If you louver the hood towards the nose, like a Mecham hood, then the engine bay pressure is released out and a lot of that air doesn;t go under the car.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2K
Also, please spell Caster right if you're going to tell me about it.
caster.

Quick Reply: help with top speed stability