Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help with top speed stability

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with top speed stability

Ive noticed the more weight i pull from my car the more unstable it is. Ive got a 2000ss and its down to 2900lbs. But now its sits extremely high and has a lot of body roll and very unstable. I would like to re do my intire suspension for top speed runs. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

you need to lower the car first off. where are you doing these top speed runs?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

List all your suspension/chassis mods including wheels and tires.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

totally stock suspension with 72k miles stock wheels and tires.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony 2000
Ive noticed the more weight i pull from my car the more unstable it is. Ive got a 2000ss and its down to 2900lbs. But now its sits extremely high and has a lot of body roll and very unstable. I would like to re do my intire suspension for top speed runs. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Could you give a general list of what's been removed, added, and modified so far?

The reason I mention this is because even though I've built several cars more for road courses, I had to struggle hard with weight distribution, which forced me to make compromises. I've also witnessed F-bodies that weigh between 3100 to 3200 dry that ended up being more "stable" and "predictable" than ones that were ~2900lbs. dry. This was down to good vehicle weight distribution, which then allowed me to properly tune my suspension.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tony 2000
totally stock suspension with 72k miles stock wheels and tires.
Quality dampers and lowering springs to start. And if you are really doing high speed runs i'd fork over the $$ for Konis.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Could you give a general list of what's been removed, added, and modified so far?

The reason I mention this is because even though I've built several cars more for road courses, I had to struggle hard with weight distribution, which forced me to make compromises. I've also witnessed F-bodies that weigh between 3100 to 3200 dry that ended up being more "stable" and "predictable" than ones that were ~2900lbs. dry. This was down to good vehicle weight distribution, which then allowed me to properly tune my suspension.
cool man its got headers, solid motor mts, no heat,or ac, no radio, removed all sound deadening in carpet, front and rear bumper supports, no air bags, stripped dash, door bars removed, car was a stripper from factory.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will echo what Foxx and others have said ... you need get some quality shocks and spring rates on the car. Get the car down out of the air.

Also, with 72K and 1/2 a dozen years, the bushings have got be deflecting significantly. Need tighten up all the suspesnion points.

Finally, for straight line, speed runs, you need to do an alignment.
Dial in:
-1.0 camber
max + caster
just a tick of toe in
Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

From what I understand, for high-speed stability, F-bodies like a little bit of rake, with fairly neutral camber, but slightly more toe-in. Along with the proper shocks/springs/suspension mentioned, similar sized wheels and tires (front to rear) with similar offsets that will track in-line. Quality, Ultra High-Performance Summer/Road Race tires, with moderate widths and moderate sidewall height (the lighter, the better, too). Lighter weight wheels will help, and brakes/pads that operate well with a little extra heat.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for every ones replys
Old 07-07-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I will echo what Foxx and others have said ... you need get some quality shocks and spring rates on the car. Get the car down out of the air.

Also, with 72K and 1/2 a dozen years, the bushings have got be deflecting significantly. Need tighten up all the suspesnion points.

Dial in:
-1.0 camber
max + caster
just a tick of toe in
are these tried and true alignment specs? would they also help on the highway at normal speeds?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy
are these tried and true alignment specs? would they also help on the highway at normal speeds?
im also interested
Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy
It's a best guess.

Losts of caster slows the steering input down and resistance forces try and keep the wheel straight. At -1* camber, you should get close to +6* caster.

The toe in keeps the car moving in a straight line and reduces trammelling.

Still need a little camber to help the car react. And cambering the tire reduces rolling resistance.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Make sure everything is balanced right, a 3.5" driveshaft will help at high speeds too.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dial in:
-1.0 camber
max + caster
just a tick of toe in
It's a best guess.

Losts of caster slows the steering input down and resistance forces try and keep the wheel straight. At -1* camber, you should get close to +6* caster.

The toe in keeps the car moving in a straight line and reduces trammelling.

Still need a little camber to help the car react. And cambering the tire reduces rolling resistance.
im dooing my full alignment this week hope fully (if i get the time).

ill tell him to Dial in:
-1.0 camber
max + caster
i read that 0mm for ronts will be good.

anything else i need to know ?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw is it posible to align caster with Factory A-Arm & K-member?

Last edited by Engine_HP; 11-16-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
btw is it posible to align caster with Factory A-Arm & K-member?
Nope.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was about to say exactly what mitch said, get the castor higher. to put what he said in layman terms, higher castor makes the car harder to turn. at low speeds you might notice a bit more resistance, but at higher speeds you will realize that your wheel is not very sensitive to the touch, which makes it a very gentle ride and much safer.

don't try and do an alignment yourself...changing castor can also affect camber and toe as well.

my alignment is:

-.7 camber
6.8 castor
0 toe

to the "is this proven?" question, BMW's and Mercedes have very high castor, like +7-10, and as you know are both very well known for their suspension stability.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:39 AM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ

Originally Posted by tuffluck
to the "is this proven?" question, BMW's and Mercedes have very high castor, like +7-10, and as you know are both very well known for their suspension stability.
And they were also designed to run those specs.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2K
And they were also designed to run those specs.
a shop that does road racing cars did my alignment. they said they have worked on many f-bodys and never gotten a castor as high as mine, but they were very happy they did. they attributed the higher castor to the rear isolator being out (and my car already lowered), plus the weight of the stereo. it made the rear sit lower so that positive castor was easier to achieve.

you are right in the mere fact that a factory f-body could probably not get the castor i mentioned because of their design. but, that doesn't mean that if you could get those specs it is bad for the car because the car wasn't designed for it. you're on ls1tech...i'd say about 80% of the users on here do things to their car all the time that the cars weren't designed for. but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. any suspension guru will tell you more positive castor isn't going to hurt your car as long as you aren't sacrificing camber/toe.

Quick Reply: help with top speed stability