Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowered cars and LTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lowered cars and LTS

I just picked up a 99' formula with stock exhaust and went out to TSP and picked up some new headers 1 7/8th and off road y pipe the car i have is about an inch lowered how do most of you lowered guys handle that big of a header on that low of a car expecially if stock spring size scrapes sometimes too!?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

What do you have in it that needs 1 7/8 headers?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

headers are awsome, why wouldn't you want headers? But ok, I know i have a LT1 but the longtubes scrape every now and then, just got the y-pipe isnstalled... and the y-pipe is LOW. Damn man, it gotta be carefull not to run over road kill or itll get stuck in there and by the time I make it home ill have BBQ dinner! Clearance is rough, my front is lowered 1.5"
Old 07-10-2009, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96blackz28
headers are awsome, why wouldn't you want headers?
1 7/8" is overkill on a 346, let alone a bone stock one, that's what I was getting at...
Old 07-11-2009, 02:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jeff M
What do you have in it that needs 1 7/8 headers?
I have plans to do another motor later and or heads cam setup I dont have too upgrade later might as well do it now. . .i did the same thing to my lt1 and the car drove well.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

living in north east NJ i would never lower a daily driver fbody, with or without headers. mine is a racer/weekend toy, and i scrape going out of my garage, let alone driveways/potholes. dont even think about going over a speedbump, its almost impossible. add the fact that the shop did a real shitty job of installing my LTs and cats, i now have about 3in of maximum clearance.

stock height was managable. but if i had it for a daily driver, i simply wouldnt lower it. get stiffer shocks to work with stock springs if you want to handle better. unless youre lucky and live in an area with better roads.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Launching!

i have sportline springs and 1 7/8" hooker LT's but i dont scrape at all. ive hit the y-pipe a couple times but the roads out here are nothing nice.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

I think getting your exhaust right as the basis for future mods is the way to go. It will help your current engine set up run better and it is required to get the most out of future mods. I made 3 attempts to get my LS1 with long tubes dialed in so I can drive it on the street. I've got a 1.2 inch drop in the front. The 'off the shelf, bolts right on stuff' didn't. I had less than 2" clearance. I spent another $400 at a muffler shop that didn't have a bender to get 4 inches clearance. That still isn't adequate for speed bumps and all the crap you run into for daily use or a cruise across the country (my objective) Finally went full custom bent y-pipe from the headers, back to where it goes over the axle. Now at long last it is finally right. No rattles and no clearance issues. If you want it high and tight you will have to go custom or deal with the dragging. As for lowering, you open a whole new can of whoopass problems. You are likely bottoming out on the bump stops with some regularity. I learned this the hard way as well. Alignment needs to be done if it wasn't up front or you will wear out the inside of your tires. You should probably buy koni's or another high end shock designed to be used with a drop spring. This isn't theory, it is all hard knocks because I didn't do enough research before I jumped in. Older, wiser, poorer....
Old 07-12-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
living in north east NJ i would never lower a daily driver fbody, with or without headers. mine is a racer/weekend toy, and i scrape going out of my garage, let alone driveways/potholes. dont even think about going over a speedbump, its almost impossible. add the fact that the shop did a real shitty job of installing my LTs and cats, i now have about 3in of maximum clearance.

stock height was managable. but if i had it for a daily driver, i simply wouldnt lower it. get stiffer shocks to work with stock springs if you want to handle better. unless youre lucky and live in an area with better roads.
I've actually been pretty satisfied with the clearance on my Kooks and I have the catted ypipe too which I think might dip down a little further. North east NJ might be a different world from where I'm living. I'll scrape going over speed bumps too fast, but its only once in a while.

Quick Reply: lowered cars and LTS