Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is the ultimate suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Then just get the QA1s, they're adjustable so you can make them soft for the caddy-ish ride/launching or hard for handling. Besides, with the flatwashers, you have infinite adjustability. For wheelies, just go full soft on the rears...

(To really poke fun properly, I'd have misspell or misuse at least 3 words per sentence. I can play satire but I just couldn't make myself type ignorantly)
From the homework I've done about QA1 shocks, I'd never put those on my car. Def not for anything that requires handling.

Interesting topic... I originally did this as a joke, but as it's rolling along I've actually started thinking about what you could do to come as close to achieving everything that you can.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, now that we're thinking seriously, I wonder if a bag-type suspension would work to a degree. I remember watching some Horsepower TV program and they put an air-ride suspension on an F-body and it handled better than stock.

So, some type of suspension that has adjustable spring rates - CHECK.

Then, Koni makes an electric, in-car-adjustable rear shock for drag racing. I don't know how exactly it works, but I'll bet that you can find a similar design that would work for everything. It'll cost $5000 per shock, but you can get it.

So, fully adjustable shocks - CHECK.

There are already all kinds of in-car-adjustable swaybars. It'll require some fabrication, but I'm sure you could make it fit. You'd also need some type of quick-disconnect on the front links so you could do that wheelie. But, again, I'm thinking that something derived off a cotter pin could do it.

So, fully adjustable swaybars - CHECK.

You'll need a de-coupled torque arm. Only $800 from Unbalanced Engineering. You'll also need some type of adjustable LCAs so that you can angle the rear to suit your needs. Instead of adjusting the axle mount, you'd probably want to raise/lower the body mount - it'll be easier to hold the mechanism to move the mount there.

Then you just need power. And probably some RR tires. Stiff sidewalls are OK for drag racing, though not optimal. Soft sidewalls will absolutely kill you for autox and RR.

That should do it.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
From the homework I've done about QA1 shocks, I'd never put those on my car. Def not for anything that requires handling.

Interesting topic... I originally did this as a joke, but as it's rolling along I've actually started thinking about what you could do to come as close to achieving everything that you can.
I thought we were still "satiring"... I agree with you 100% on QA1s. JasonWW has bagged his TA and he's quite thorough with the pics and diagrams. I think he's currently on a hybrid Koni/bag combo...
Old 07-16-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Im sure many of you have seen this, but it just came to mind when reading your thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWRS-u5uipM
Old news but still very interesting.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Im sure many of you have seen this, but it just came to mind when reading your thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWRS-u5uipM
Old news but still very interesting.
Yep that's what it would take to meet all the requirements except the $200.00 requirement. BTW, this is called "active suspension" It was all the rage in the mid 90's but was powered by hydraulics. For a few seasons in the mid 90's it was in use on F1-cars but then outlawed due to cost/complexity.

Quick Reply: What is the ultimate suspension setup?