Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR or UMI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say both have there ups and downs but both make quality products.

If i was drag racing for the majority of the time, I would probably go with a BMR piece

Since I prefer a corner carver street machine, I feel the braced UMI piece would be better for me.

For LCAs, PHBs, a lot of the other simple parts they are very similar.

Both companies make good prices. I like dealing with strano a lot so therefore I will probably end up with a few more UMI pieces.....although the next suspension parts I buy will probably be strano sway bars and a Fays2 Watts Link......

Strano takes a lot of flack on here because he isn't exactly PC or gentle, but he tells it like he sees it and is overall a very good guy that just wants to do the best by his customer. He also has to fight hard to survive as a little fish in the big pond....
Old 07-16-2009, 05:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a half dozen UMI parts and a BMR torque arm. For the most part UMI has had excellent tech info even when I called after they were closed; they were still there to help. However, I was very surprised when UMI sent out the first batch or their new sway bars with the wrong length front sleeves. One would think that a company of this size and reputation would take the time to make sure they were sending the correct hardware to go with their parts. Long story short, I ordered two sets of sway bars and have only received one set of replacement sleeves. After two calls and an E-mail to UMI they have not sent the second pair of sleeves. Two weeks later I have a front sway bar sitting in my living room with the incorrect hardware. I am wondering when or if they are going to send me the correct hardware.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1owner4life
I have a half dozen UMI parts and a BMR torque arm. For the most part UMI has had excellent tech info even when I called after they were closed; they were still there to help. However, I was very surprised when UMI sent out the first batch or their new sway bars with the wrong length front sleeves. One would think that a company of this size and reputation would take the time to make sure they were sending the correct hardware to go with their parts. Long story short, I ordered two sets of sway bars and have only received one set of replacement sleeves. After two calls and an E-mail to UMI they have not sent the second pair of sleeves. Two weeks later I have a front sway bar sitting in my living room with the incorrect hardware.
Chris correct?

I sway bar end links were received from Energy Suspension in the incorrect length BUT labeled with the correct part #. Our shipping area goes by part # and sent the end links with the sway bars... they had no way of knowing they were slightly too long. But we corrected the issues immediately after realizing this and send out replacement parts to all buyers.

I am wondering when or if they are going to send me the correct hardware.
As for the replacement end links we sent them out to you on 6-30 Fed Ex 2nd Day air tracking # 971480894490 so you had in time for your install. The package shows delivered to your front porch.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 07-16-2009, 06:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UMI Performance

As for the replacement end links we sent them out to you on 6-30 Fed Ex 2nd Day air
Thank you,
Ryan
I ordered two sets of sway bars and have only received one set of replacement sleeves. After two calls and an E-mail to UMI they have not sent the second pair of sleeves.
If it is going to be a problem then at least let me know where I can buy them.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is going to be a problem then at least let me know where I can buy them.
Chris,

We did send two sets out. One set shipped to attention Bobby and the other set to your attention. I am not sure if Fed Ex lost the second set or what... its not a problem sending another set out.. but I just wanted to make you aware we did send the replacements out as promised... Fed Ex must have delivered to the wrong address since they say delivered but you didn't get them.

I will get another set out today express shipping.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 07-16-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i greatly appreciate the information here although, i'm sorry for stirring anything up, it wasn't my intention
Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why wouldnt you just call them if you had a problem like this instead of posting it on a forum and hope they read it? ^^^^^^^^
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I recently installed over 1200 dollars in Umi suspension parts on my car. Their products are nothing but excellent, plain and simple. Their quality and customer service are second to none. They are going to be my suspension supplier when my project car gets going.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by puggerton03
why wouldnt you just call them if you had a problem like this instead of posting it on a forum and hope they read it? ^^^^^^^^
i have no problem with either, i've never dealt with either, i was asking opinions here in hopes that some of the members with experience with both the companies and their products would speak up.... i really didnt think the sponsors themselves would chime in...

i'm fairly new to the forums here and i have apparently largely underestimated how much the sponsors care to inform their potential customers, as i've never been a member of a forum with the amount or quality of sponsors found here
Old 07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh sorry my first post goes to ls1owner.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Teching In

I am not a manufacturer or dealer
I have a 2001 trans am with a BMR tubular cross member and tubular A arms they have been great except when I use the car for autocross sometimes it will move the lower A arm out of adjustment. I have machined a couple of part so it wont do it again. I will try it out this weekend and see how it works. If I still have problems the next step will be welding some stops so they cant move. If you are just using them for the street or drag racing they should be fine.

Quick Reply: BMR or UMI?