Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes for clearancing drag wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes for clearancing drag wheels

I've got an '02 Camaro and I just bought a set of Weld Draglites, 15x10 in the back and 15x3.5 in the front.

As many have done before to fit the 15x10 wheel on the back I ground down my brake calipers. I still haven't tired putting the skinnies on the front yet, but I know that grinding or spacers is required for them as well.

After doing the grinding I was surprised by just how much material needs to be removed, and I've read at least one first hand account of a caliper breaking causing an accident. This is a weekend race car only and I don't want to risk anything on a car that will be carrying me down the track at 100+ routinely, so...

My question is simple : What are my options for brakes that will clear both the front and back 15'' wheels without grinding or spacers? I'm not looking for an upgrade in stopping power necessarily, the stock brakes stop fine for me, I just want a swap that will provide clearance. I've heard that LT1 brakes are an option, but I've never actually seen anyone confirm that they do clear 15'' wheels without modification.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the Strange rears will clear the backs but you lose the E brake.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

I could live with that, like I said it's just a weekend warrior so it's not like I'm gonna be daily driving it and parking it on inclines or anything. Would you trust the parking brake on a manual valve body TH350?

And how about the fronts?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Damn I looked up the strange and the front kit is almost $1,000 alone. Any cheaper options?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aerospace components through Burkhart chassis.check them out.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you didn't mount your wheels yet, you could consider returning your wheels and picking up our Bogart drag wheels and have a direct fit lighter wheel than what you've got right now. Using ours would be like dropping another ~50 lbs of converted weight over what you currently have. It would end up costing quite a bit less than the combo you're considering.

If you were to consider drag brakes, personally, I'd only consider Mark Williams or Strange Engineering brakes. Mark Williams are very high-end, Strange would be the most economical choice between the two. I can offer you either style. Though Aerospace is another option, personally, for the few dollars difference in price, I feel Strange Engineering machined components are better quality and are overall a better choice.

Give me a call if you have additional questions or concerns.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Well just to see what my options are I my put my draglites up for sale and got a bite, so it looks like I'm just gonna sell them, pick up some replacement LS1 calipers for cheap to bring my brakes back up to snuff, and then save up my money for some wheels that will clear without modification.

Quick Reply: Brakes for clearancing drag wheels