Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

CETA with Strano/Koni combo

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CETA with Strano/Koni combo

Just wanted to post a few pics of the finished product; besides it seems like it's been a while since someone posted pics. I'm very happy with this setup; combined with a UMI rear suspension, the car rides much differently than it did stock. Handling is no comparison, this blows the stock setup out of the water; in terms of ride, I'd venture to say that it rides just as well, if not better than, stock. And that's even with a polyurethan transmission mount, and poly/rod LCAs and panhard bar. The only issue to resolve is a minor clunk I get at random times; I think I've traced the problem to the front mount for the rear LCAs. Those bastages need to be TIGHT; I had all sorts of noises until I tightened them as much as I could with box end wrenches.

Without further adieu, here are the pics. Not the greatest lighting conditions (a storm was rolling in as I started taking these), so I apologize. Keep in mind this is after putting about 300 miles on the setup, so the springs have had a little time to settle, but I'm unsure how long it takes for them to fully settle in.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks great! I noticed my current hotchkis springs took about a month or 2 to completely settle. Ive got the strano's and koni's on order though
Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks great!

I have my stranos on now with stock shocks but Koni's are on their way!

I cant wait!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks awesome!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:03 AM
TECH Addict

Damn I love the stance!

Did you do the upper or lower perch ? Seems like lower but I thought I ask
Old 07-20-2009, 03:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS DNA
Damn I love the stance!

Did you do the upper or lower perch ? Seems like lower but I thought I ask
Upper. Not that I would have done it anyway, but I read up on how using the lower perch on lowered car was a bad idea.

And yea, I'm very happy with the stance as well. At first, I worried that Strano's springs wouldn't lower the car enough for my tastes, since they were "only" rated at 1.2". Needless to say, my worries were for naught.

Last edited by csxfbird; 07-20-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

looks great!

on a side note.... i hate the color yellow on ANY vehicle... but your car is damn sexy...
Old 07-20-2009, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

nice looking ride.... nice share!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Look good!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

How much of a drop did you get from the strano/konis? Ive read that some people are getting quite a bit more than the advertised drop.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait for mine im flippin out. hahaha its going to look so nasty!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you keep the rear rubber isolators? Your stance looks pretty even. Looks really good though.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
How much of a drop did you get from the strano/konis? Ive read that some people are getting quite a bit more than the advertised drop.
Unfortunately, I didn't think to take measurements before I installed the springs. I can take some when I can home, I'll post them tonight. The best I can do is a 'before' sideshot I have of the car from a year back or so, I'll get that up when I get home as well.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bene
Did you keep the rear rubber isolators? Your stance looks pretty even. Looks really good though.
Indeed I did. And thanks.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by csxfbird
Upper. Not that I would have done it anyway, but I read up on how using the lower perch on lowered car was a bad idea.

And yea, I'm very happy with the stance as well. At first, I worried that Strano's springs wouldn't lower the car enough for my tastes, since they were "only" rated at 1.2". Needless to say, my worries were for naught.
Honestly it looks perfect IMHO.

I am going to do the upper perch when I do mines
You helped with that decision.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Where did you read this? I've never heard of this.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Come on, it's on the web--it must be true!

Someday folks will realize that not every cars sits at the same height when stock.... so it's funny that they think they'll all be identical when lowered.

That said, I'm unaware of the rash of slammed cars on Strano springs. Yes, some sit lower than others do, but it's rare.... And fwiw, it's a car thing. Had a customer sell his Eibach's to a guy who screamed he sold him junk. Funny thing was on the original car they really were about 1.2" lower than stock. On the 2nd owner's car (who took the springs and shocks directly from the 1st guy and did a swap) the car was significantly lower. Of course Guy 2 never actually measured to see what it was, but I'd have to say it was on the order of more than 1.5". Now this is a set of Eibach's--the point being that some cars sit higher, some sit lower--even stock and regardless (not completely regardless) of what springs. Certainly a crappy set of springs that yields and can't support the weight will sit lower period. Not a problem with mine, but there is some inherent variability car to car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

as expected, looks amazing!!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry for starting the controversy. I didnt mean anything against Sam. I also realize that not every car is the same and that some will end up lowering more than others. I just see every once in a while that people get more than the 1.2 its supposed to be. I wanted to see what his was because frankly it looks very good. Now back to everyone praising the CETA
Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

No controversy... but you guys have to realize this is the 'net, not everything you "see" is true, and it's rare you get the entire story. I was trying to give you the entire story--is that controversial? I wouldn't have thought so..... More to the point, it amazes me how 50 thumbs up can be called into question by one odd-ball. The fact is it's unusual for happy folks to post as often as my customers do (and thank you all for that). I'd extremely disheartening for myself, and I'm sure others to work one's *** off only to have one partially explained thing cause a mess.

Just last week I was dealing with an issue (trying to) where a man has my springs, but also a lot of other stuff, including an adjustable TA. His pinion angle is clearly off because he has a vibration. Next thing I know I get a message wondering if the springs are the problem, that "someone" told him the car is too low. Meanwhile there were no measurements I could find, and a few others told him his car wasn't nearly as low as theirs and they don't have the issue. But there is a classic example of what someone could have read and thought was true.... The issue is adjustment of the pinion angle (and fwiw, he couldn't even duplicate the stock setting to at least get the vibration gone, as it was never measured before).

Again, no controversy here.. Just my asking that folks better consider what they are reading and the reasons that form the basis for *ANY* (my own included) opinion.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: CETA with Strano/Koni combo