Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upper Strut Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upper Strut Mount

I am in the process of changing spring. To my surprise the mounts are stuck. What can I do besides buying new ones. I am surprise sice the car only has 35k miles.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll probably have to replace them... They are stuck to the shocks right? They'll most likely tear when you finally do separate them from the shock.

Get moogs from advance auto. Keep the trapezoidal piece on top, it is the shock insulator and doesn't come with the mount.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

The consensus on upper shock mounts is get the GM mounts. The rest of them are crap for the most part.

Are you sure your mount is seized? Spring compressed, nut off, and you still can't get it to budge?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
The consensus on upper shock mounts is get the GM mounts. The rest of them are crap for the most part.
<shrug> The moogs fit perfectly for me.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
<shrug> The moogs fit perfectly for me.
Has nothing to do with them fitting, but the quality. The first time the studs start spinning on the aftermarket stuff you will be pissed. If they worked for you then great, just warning the OP to issues others have found w/ aftermarket mounts.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Spray them down with some liquid wrench around the shock shaft where it come through the mount and let it sit for about an hour, now with the spring compressed and the shaft nut threaded up as far as possible while still fully engaging the threads on the shaft place a piece of flat stock(metal) over the top of the shaft and hit it hard with a heavy hammer. That should break it loose.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has nothing to do with them fitting, but the quality. The first time the studs start spinning on the aftermarket stuff you will be pissed. If they worked for you then great, just warning the OP to issues others have found w/ aftermarket mounts.
Source four 3/8" 2" long grade 8 bolts with washers and nuts and forget the studs.

Its a $3 fix.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wasn't aware of stud issues, I just thought it was fitment issues (as I found with oreilly house brand crap).

Well mine are all good and tight with no issues like that so I'm happy I guess
Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Moogs worked for me after Gabriel and Monroe did not.

Use stainless steel nuts on the new install. To get the old ones off, try to wirebrush all the rust you can off then soak the top of the shock + the mount in some Evaporust overnight, then wirebrush it some more, and soak it 'til the next day if it's still rusty. It might help. That saved one of mine.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Source four 3/8" 2" long grade 8 bolts with washers and nuts and forget the studs.

Its a $3 fix.
That'll work. But thats also ghetto and a pain in the *** to disassemble if need be. Pick your poison.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MB Hawk
I am in the process of changing spring. To my surprise the mounts are stuck. What can I do besides buying new ones. I am surprise sice the car only has 35k miles.
Nothing its a very common problem with our cars...you'll need to replace them. They go for 60-70 bucks at the auto stores. It will also probably need to be ordered, most dont have them in stock but you might get lucky..I had to replace one when I did springs a few weeks back.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF are you guys all recommending replacement for? It's way too early to say that.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

That'll work. But thats also ghetto and a pain in the *** to disassemble if need be. Pick your poison.
Ghetto? How do you figure?

I guess if you are wrench or reach challenged it would be PITA. but anyone over 5' tall should be able to insert a bolt and thread a nut onto it.

I worked on a road race car this weekend and that's exactly how we did it ... on purpose.

Grade 8 SAE bolts are a lot stronger than the unmarked knurled studs that come with the stockers.

You probably return the Torx head bolt to its original place under the master cylinder, requiring removal of the MC each time instead of swapping the passenger side hex headed bolts.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Ghetto? How do you figure?

I guess if you are wrench or reach challenged it would be PITA. but anyone over 5' tall should be able to insert a bolt and thread a nut onto it.

I worked on a road race car this weekend and that's exactly how we did it ... on purpose.

Grade 8 SAE bolts are a lot stronger than the unmarked knurled studs that come with the stockers.

You probably return the Torx head bolt to its original place under the master cylinder, requiring removal of the MC each time instead of swapping the passenger side hex headed bolts.
Yeah, you're right. Because I don't want it to look modified but rather how it came from the factory. This is my driver, not my racecar as I actually do care how things look.

As far as grade 8...not needed.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Heck no! whoever thought it was a good idea to stick friggin TORX on the driver side was an idiot. What a royal pain that was.

The moogs came with new nuts and bolts, and were standard bolts too. No more dumb torx under the master cylinder anymore.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, you're right. Because I don't want it to look modified but rather how it came from the factory. This is my driver, not my racecar as I actually do care how things look.

As far as grade 8...not needed.
Wow no mods at all ... a completely stock car?

How unique ... and weird.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Wow no mods at all ... a completely stock car?

How unique ... and weird.

Very funny. I'm just particular about how the bolts and fasteners look. You look under the hood and everything looks like it could have come from the factory that way. That's all. To each his own.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

To each his own.
exactly ...

I rubbed mine with a diaper for along while.

Then I started rubbing other cars ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXyhPrzpi4E
Old 07-27-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

exactly ...

I rubbed mine with a diaper for along while.

Then I started rubbing other cars ...
Fun video

Quick Reply: Upper Strut Mount