Old 11-18-2003, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blisten, Eibach, Konis, Ohh my!

Today I ordered:

1. Two front Blisten HDs
2. Two rear adjustable Konis
3. Eibach Pro-Kit

What should I expect to feel from the setup? Should I get LCA relocation brackets? Adjustable panhard? Etc?

Thanks guys!

(Trackbird chimes in in 3... 2... 1...)

Last edited by glitch77; 11-18-2003 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I beat him!!!!

I thought it was Konis upfront and Bilsteins out back?

Relocation brackets allow you to drop the LCAs so that they are level. This will reduce wheelhop.

The adjustable PHB will only be needed if you rub a tire OR you are shooting for absolute tracking front tires to rear.

I suggest BMR products for you.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought it was Konis upfront and Bilsteins out back?
Good front Konis would have cost me more than this entire setup. I figured Id rather have 2 konis than none. Eh?

Think I should de relocations? I have enough problems with traction as it is, lead in my shoes I guess.

Thanks for the input.

Old 11-18-2003, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Such hostility ...
Old 11-18-2003, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

My BMR strut tower brace is holding up just fine Mitch!
Old 11-18-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

So is mine ... and when it breaks, like all the other BMR stuff has, I'll trash talk it.

Isn't this a really nifty way of keeping your questions TTT
Old 11-18-2003, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isn't this a really nifty way of keeping your questions TTT
Stop responding.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, Mitch beat me. It happens on occasion. I guess I'm getting slow in my old age.

I told him to buy BMR stuff...

If they made shocks, I'd have signed him up for those too...

Once my strut tower brace breaks, I'll fianlly prove that they "work" to everyone!!!!

Relocation brackets will help, but they may add brake hop.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by glitch77
Stop responding.
OK ... I'll stop. TB helped
Old 11-18-2003, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nah....Mitch is who you want to answer....

What do I know???
Old 11-19-2003, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, you are much too humble.
If these folks only knew who you really are ...
Old 11-19-2003, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

If I only knew who I really am....or is that was?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice way of keeping your post count high, eh Mitch?
Old 11-19-2003, 12:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

[QUOTE=glitch77]Good front Konis would have cost me more than this entire setup. I figured Id rather have 2 konis than none. Eh?

[QUOTE]

What can you expect? A lack of front damping relative to the rear, and a lot or rear adjustment you likely won't use.

The fronts are what we revalve, or opt to run run Koni's on because that's the end that has a relative lack of rebound damping, especially with springs. And out back, you really didn't change the spring rate much but installed a lot better damper. In order to match the soft valving on the fronts, you're going to want to run the Koni's very soft in the rear (meaning you aren't going to get what you paid for).

Hate to say it, but someone didn't understand the reasoning behind shock valving and matching it spring rates. If anything, if you opted for HD's in front, you should have stayed with them in the back too. Or taken the money spent on the rear Koni's and switched it around. MHO.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-19-2003, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I look at it more as interaction ...
Old 11-19-2003, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buying rear Blistens instead of Konis would just set me back even farther than I allready am from getting a full Koni setup. I am on a tight budget, I dont have throw around cash, especially 300+ for Koni DAs. When I can affor them, the fronts will be Konis, but for now, Blisten HDs will have to do.

---- End civilized discussion ---------------------------

Hate to say it, but someone didn't understand the reasoning behind shock valving and matching it spring rates.
No need to talk in third person here. You are talking to ME. I think the problem here is, that I cant afford a couple of 1-800 numbers. Sam Strano doesnt understand matching shock valving to Benjamin Franklin.

and a lot or rear adjustment you likely won't use.
Ohh, cuz I can afford fronts im not into adjustments, nor am I smart enough to know how.

Or taken the money spent on the rear Koni's and switched it around.
That couldnt have happened, the rears dont cost 300+ each.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-20-2003, 03:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow ... you are on the edge, aren't you.

As Sam explained, to match your Bilstein fronts, you'll have to run your Koni adjustables full soft. I know I do on my Koni SA rears.

This in effect removes all adjustability. There's no more room to go. If I had it, I'd go there ... So purchasing adjustability is a foolish expense.

Now purchasing the adjustables, putting them on the shelf till you can afford adjustable fronts is another thing altogether. But by purchasing front shocks as well, it appears your intent is to install them now. So, by the time you can afford front adjustables, the rears will be toast and you'll have to purchase new ones again ... in effect at square one all over again.

We all understand a budget. The point you might be missing is spending that budget on parts that don't work well together is foolish. Asking before spending would have been a smarter step.

I'm already on your **** list, so I can pretty much say anything to you and it will **** you off. But the $500+ you spent on shocks and springs probably could have been better allocated at Stranoparts.com and you would have been a LOT happier with the results.

Noone here, including me, really tries to find fault with anyone. Some of our delivery techniques could be better honed, though. If you can get past personalities, we're just here to help. Posting your intentions opens the door to criticism, however.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

My front-right shock is dead, I had to replace it with something, I dont have the money to do konis all around, hence my decision. Also about the rears being toast, I dont put alot of miles on my car, so by the time the front konis are affordable to me (couple of months) the rears will only have maybe 2-3k miles on em.

Criticism is fine by me, creative critisism that is. Im just struggling to get my car suspended on something that doesnt say decarbon or gm on it, and this is the best I could do. I really dont see what else I could have done? Should I have spent everything I had on front konis and left the rears flopping in the breeze? I would have gotten even worse critisism from that.

If the Konis have to ride at full soft for a while, so be it. But I will manage.

Wouldnt it have been better to say something on the lines of "Those rear Konis are going to have much more dampening compared to the Blistens. I would more like to see a koni/koni combo, to even up the front and rear." Presentation is everything, this is just a forum on the internet, the only reason I care what anyone says, is that most of the time I can see a general feeling of caring. When It seems like people are talking down to me, thier judgements fall oon deaf ears.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Fair enough ...

Agreed ... presentation is everything.

If you EVER thought I was talking down to you, I apologize. I rarely try and hide my disdain for someone. If I were aggrivated at you, it would be grossly obvious.

When I said
it was in jest and I actually thought you took it that way when your response was to flip me off. I thought rather funny.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Not to pile on glitch77 here, but just out of curiosity, if you had 1 dead DeCarbon, why didn't you just source out that one DeCarbon and just wait until you could get the right suspension?

I don't think anyone is here to do talk down to anyone else.

These boards are double edged swords. On the one hand, we learn about other people's car stuff from what info they share. But on the other hand, you can only learn stuff if someone else shares their knowledge!
Suspension tuning is such a black art for so many people. Some of these guys (like Sam Strano) are just trying to help you by pointing out the optimal set up. Take it for what it's worth and move on.

Not to slam anyone here, but I just don't understand why there are so many keyboard warriors out there. It's not just this board it seems rampant on forums.
I came from the corvetteforum. Just as an observation, the camaro/ls1 boards seem so much more hostile than the vetteforum. Anyone know why??