Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear suspension slowly sagging on C5 z06, help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rear suspension slowly sagging on C5 z06, help!

a friend of mine owns a C5 z06. im not sure if the suspension is stock or not....i believe it is not. anyways...the car 2 months ago had about 2 fingers width between the tire and rear fender. since then, it has slowly settled so far no that you cant even squeeze a finer between the tire and fender, its freakin slammed. rides really rough and it constantly hitting the bumpstops. what all could this possibly be? both sides are sagging the same amount, so its not a spring/shock issue.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
a friend of mine owns a C5 z06. im not sure if the suspension is stock or not....i believe it is not. anyways...the car 2 months ago had about 2 fingers width between the tire and rear fender. since then, it has slowly settled so far no that you cant even squeeze a finer between the tire and fender, its freakin slammed. rides really rough and it constantly hitting the bumpstops. what all could this possibly be? both sides are sagging the same amount, so its not a spring/shock issue.
This is going to be impossible to answer w/o more info on the car. Is it using the stock springs, is it lowered on stock bolts/aftermarket bolts?

Luckily the ride height is something that CAN be adjusted easily on those cars.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

no clue, ill get that info tomorrow. its just funny how the car has been fine forever, and now each side is slowly sagging...to the point of the car not being driveable
Old 08-05-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
.... both sides are sagging the same amount, so its not a spring/shock issue.
I would think that it is a spring issue. I would think that the spring might be de-laminating, and allowing the car to drop. If something bounced off the road and hit the spring, or at sometime in the past, the car was lifted by a jack placed under the spring and nicked the spring, this could have caused the damage.

The ride height adjustments are made with the bolts, and while one of the adjusting nuts could have worked itself loose, I doubt that both of them would loosen at the same time, allowing both sides of the car to drop equally. To me, it sounds like the spring has gone bad
Old 08-05-2009, 02:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Why can't it be a spring issue? Corvettes use one spring in front, one in back, transverse leaf springs. It it's yielding an end of the car will sag, not one corner like an spring that is only responsible for one corner of the car.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-05-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

sorry, i thought the vettes used 2 springs in the rear. guess it could be spring related then.