Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pic of Corvette conversion kit from 6litereater

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I have to say that the plate looks very solid; its a massive piece. I havent noticed it wanted to flex anyhow when torquing the bolts pretty hard. The bolts are quality, like the rest of the kit. You just have to grind some stuff, but its better than grinding big chunk off the spindle IMO. Thats why I chose this kit.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I have to say that the plate looks very solid; its a massive piece. I havent noticed it wanted to flex anyhow when torquing the bolts pretty hard. The bolts are quality, like the rest of the kit. You just have to grind some stuff, but its better than grinding big chunk off the spindle IMO. Thats why I chose this kit.
And I apologize that you had to grind anything, you shouldn't have had to... Next item you want let me know and it will be discounted.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
wow......Well you just told me.......didnt you? Feel any better?

Look I'm not getting into pissing contest with you, but it doesn't take a genius, engineer or crew chief to figure out that a solid piece is stronger than a 3 piece one.

For anyone who's seen or used the original design, make your conclusion.

Good luck with your sales and I wish you the best.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out a bracket that does not require you to cut up your car is better than one that does.

Pissing contest? You bad mouth a product of mine that you have never seen first hand, of course I'm going to set the record straight...
Old 08-09-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
. . . This set up is similar to a few others out there (ebay) with no problems . . .
So E-Bay is proper R&D? . . . Interesting . . .

It doesn't take a genius to figure out a bracket that does not require you to cut up your car is better than one that does.
In your opinion. . . but, It also DOES NOT take a genius to figure out your design is FLAWED. . .

and to be honest any C5 conversion is nothing more than a "jury riggged" setup at best.
So the Baer Eradispeed GT systems for the 4th gen Camaro/Firebird are "Jury Rigged"?? Hm . . who knew . .

They utilizing the EXACT same caliper from PBR as the Corvette does, AND the same design mounting bracket that requires cutting the spindle . . .

Anyone here who thinks that spacers that are free floating as opposed to welded on (which we could easily do as well) which DO NOT require you to cut your spindle are less safe,
Well the weak design flaw IS the loose sleeve. Period. You have now placed two points of sheer onto the bolt shaft, and added moment forces directly to the bolt that are resisted by a welded sleeve product, and the gussets even improve that . . .

What is the big deal about cutting the spindle? How many mods are done to the F-Cars that don't require "irreversable" cutting or drilling?

. . I don't want to sell a product that is in my opinion, ghetto, since you have to chop up your spindle for it to work.
How is that even considered "ghetto"? . . . That is as tackless as saying your splitters are "rice" . . .

But also for your "non-ghetto" brake product to work on a LT1 based F-Car, it WILL require cutting! . . . OOPS! (do you want to take back that 'ghetto" comment now?)

So anyway back to your adapter:

I have absolutely no concern on the plate. The plate is plenty strong enough . . .

To reiterate, the concern IS the spacer and bolts . . The ONLY thing holding the spacer in place and preventing it from twisting due to applied braking forces is the clamping force of the bolt.

Your design has TWO points of sheer on the bolt (each end of spacer), vrs ONE sheer point on the bolt for the welded units. When the caliper is activated the force pulls perpendicular to the shaft of the bolt. The loose "spacer" puts two sheer points onto the bolt shaft. Where as the welded only places one sheer force.

Next problem is the moment forces. The welded spacer resists the moment of the applied force in the direction of the sheer. Where the "spacer" provides no moment force resistance at all.

So now, not only is the bolt affected by two sheer forces it also has to resist the moment force (bad idea) The shaft of a bolt is not designed to resist that many forces.

So even further lets take a hypothetical situation, "if" the bolt were to stretch or loosen, your spacer can pivot, not only placing great sheer forces onto the bolt shaft there is a growing moment force. A moment force that the welded sleeve will overcome, not the bolt shaft.

Oh and FYI, I have a degree in Structural Engineering. I STRONGLY enncourage you to go back to the drawing board and improve the product. Appearance improvement on cars is one thing, but the braking system is not a system to take lightly.

I am not trying to "flame" your product. I give you kudos for taking the initiative to offer all the appearance products for the F-Car enthusists, just not this one. I do not take safety in cars lightly.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
So E-Bay is proper R&D? . . . Interesting . . .

In your opinion. . . but, It also DOES NOT take a genius to figure out your design is FLAWED. . .

So the Baer Eradispeed GT systems for the 4th gen Camaro/Firebird are "Jury Rigged"?? Hm . . who knew . .

They utilizing the EXACT same caliper from PBR as the Corvette does, AND the same design mounting bracket that requires cutting the spindle . . .

Well the weak design flaw IS the loose sleeve. Period. You have now placed two points of sheer onto the bolt shaft, and added moment forces directly to the bolt that are resisted by a welded sleeve product, and the gussets even improve that . . .

What is the big deal about cutting the spindle? How many mods are done to the F-Cars that don't require "irreversable" cutting or drilling?

How is that even considered "ghetto"? . . . That is as tackless as saying your splitters are "rice" . . .

But also for your "non-ghetto" brake product to work on a LT1 based F-Car, it WILL require cutting! . . . OOPS! (do you want to take back that 'ghetto" comment now?)

So anyway back to your adapter:

I have absolutely no concern on the plate. The plate is plenty strong enough . . .

To reiterate, the concern IS the spacer and bolts . . The ONLY thing holding the spacer in place and preventing it from twisting due to applied braking forces is the clamping force of the bolt.

Your design has TWO points of sheer on the bolt (each end of spacer), vrs ONE sheer point on the bolt for the welded units. When the caliper is activated the force pulls perpendicular to the shaft of the bolt. The loose "spacer" puts two sheer points onto the bolt shaft. Where as the welded only places one sheer force.

Next problem is the moment forces. The welded spacer resists the moment of the applied force in the direction of the sheer. Where the "spacer" provides no moment force resistance at all.

So now, not only is the bolt affected by two sheer forces it also has to resist the moment force (bad idea) The shaft of a bolt is not designed to resist that many forces.

So even further lets take a hypothetical situation, "if" the bolt were to stretch or loosen, your spacer can pivot, not only placing great sheer forces onto the bolt shaft there is a growing moment force. A moment force that the welded sleeve will overcome, not the bolt shaft.

Oh and FYI, I have a degree in Structural Engineering. I STRONGLY enncourage you to go back to the drawing board and improve the product. Appearance improvement on cars is one thing, but the braking system is not a system to take lightly.

I am not trying to "flame" your product. I give you kudos for taking the initiative to offer all the appearance products for the F-Car enthusists, just not this one. I do not take safety in cars lightly.
Your points are all valid but I can address. The pivot part may happen but probably doesn't because the spacers are machined to be basically keyed to spindle (picture a locking tab on a header bolt that won't turn because it is against the primary).

The sheer points are definitely a possibility IF the brakes were able to create a stopping force strong enough to sheer the hardware which the company I contracted felt they weren't. HOWEVER I still offer a welded one piece to anyone who wants it for more money.

My MAJOR concern with this thread (not the OP, the people who responded)is the following... People come in and make comments and accusations about the product as opposed to asking true concerned questions about the product.

Oh, and I don't tell LT1 guys to cut their spindle, I recommend they buy an LS1 spindle and do the upgrade to use this product. No way around it I think requiring the customer to cut the spindle IS ghetto (especially when they could EASILY re-draw their CAD file to make this NOT a requirement).

I have no problem if people call the splitter rice either. The splitter's "followers" seem to have a problem with those people but people feel how they feel, big whoop.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no sense in having others who have real #s come in here and really open your eyes.
too late...
Old 08-09-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else find it ironic that the company that tossed in a few spacers and cut out a flat plate, called the other brackets that have gone through years of testing and research "ghetto"?
Old 08-09-2009, 04:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I could buy my brackets from the same company (SCP) Eibach gets them from as well (could be wrong but UMI's looks similar) but I don't want to sell a product that is in my opinion, ghetto, since you have to chop up your spindle for it to work.
No one was trying to start an argument so calm down.. I was simple expressing my honest opinion and from the looks of this thread I am not the only one. I was not bashing you, just simply stating I did not like the design. We put a lot of testing in our bracket to insure it is one of the best of there. I am not sure what you are trying to say with the above statement? But we manufacture our brackets in our facility... they are not out sourced.. they are built by us. If you don't like cutting the spindle that is your opinion and not something that upsets me. I was just not liking the 3 piece design I saw... especially since we learned a lot when we designed our brackets (heat, stress, pad wear ect.) So please don't take it as a bash.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 08-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
No one was trying to start an argument so calm down.. I was simple expressing my honest opinion and from the looks of this thread I am not the only one. I was not bashing you, just simply stating I did not like the design. We put a lot of testing in our bracket to insure it is one of the best of there. I am not sure what you are trying to say with the above statement? But we manufacture our brackets in our facility... they are not out sourced.. they are built by us. If you don't like cutting the spindle that is your opinion and not something that upsets me. I was just not liking the 3 piece design I saw... especially since we learned a lot when we designed our brackets (heat, stress, pad wear ect.) So please don't take it as a bash.

Thank you,
Ryan
NP, I thought your brackets simply came from the same company, my mistake.

Stated my peace, no hard feelings.

Quick Reply: Pic of Corvette conversion kit from 6litereater