Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pic of Corvette conversion kit from 6litereater

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Pic of Corvette conversion kit from 6litereater

I just thought I'd share the pic of my C5 disc conversion from 6litereater design...since there is not many pic of the installed conversion kit around here.

I love how the car looks better with the bigger disc and the 17s are nicely filled. I've put some powerstop blanks from brakemotive for better stopping power. Pads are semi metallic for best performance since I didnt like the feeling of my last ceramic pad set(I have to admit that the disc were really in bad shape!! I was lazy a bit see pic 1!).

I have to add that those who will do this conversion will have to do some grinding for the bottom round spacer on the flat side because it will not clear the stock bolt hole. And you will have to drill the spacer bolt holes because the provided bolts with the kit will not go through easy so you will end up dealing with a very hard bolt turning session

The left side cleared but not the right side. So I would advice to grind the caliper bracket a bit on the exterior bottom side plus the grinding on the flat spacer. You need to take off a good 2mm. You can see on the 4th pic that the bracket is very close. Not a big deal, but still not a true bolton.

I even used a flat washer on the right side(bottom spacer) to ensure that the disc will clear the bracket..

By the way, the 2 sponsors were really easy to deal with and I got nice a price for the parts and ship
Attached Thumbnails Pic of Corvette conversion kit from 6litereater-disc-comparison.jpg   Pic of Corvette conversion kit from 6litereater-shot-ancien-disc.jpg   Pic of Corvette conversion kit from 6litereater-caliper-bracket.jpg   Pic of Corvette conversion kit from 6litereater-caliper-bracket-2.jpg   Pic of Corvette conversion kit from 6litereater-new-disc-shot.jpg  

Last edited by Johnnystock; 08-08-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I . . . I have to add that those who will do this conversion will have to do some grinding for the bottom round spacer on the flat side because it will not clear the stock bolt hole. And you will have to drill the spacer bolt holes because the provided bolts with the kit will not go through easy so you will end up dealing with a very hard bolt turning session
OOOPS! Sounds like some more R&D is needed . . . .
Old 08-05-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I really like that design. I'm not really liking the fact that the bracket isn't one solid piece. Just leaves more room for failure. But, I hope the kit works out for you.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Not sure I really like that design. I'm not really liking the fact that the bracket isn't one solid piece. Just leaves more room for failure. But, I hope the kit works out for you.
I'm not too crazy about it too but it seems fine for now..
Old 08-05-2009, 04:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The install looks nice. However like mentioned that bracket is poorly designed, it is 3 pieces and possible a mixture of steel and aluminum? I don't feel it is sturdy enough for this application. One thing to watch for is pad wear... sometimes the thin brackets flex and the pads wear uneven.

Thanks for sharing,
Ryan
Old 08-05-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes....jerry rigged setup. But must be ok for light street driving. I dont know I would trust this as a performance upgrade vs. a apperance mod.

As long as you're happy.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

I'll notice soon enough if its good or no. I truly did this for a performance upgrade, so it will be removed if anything goes wrong like uneven pad wear..
Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The install looks nice. However like mentioned that bracket is poorly designed, it is 3 pieces and possible a mixture of steel and aluminum? I don't feel it is sturdy enough for this application. One thing to watch for is pad wear... sometimes the thin brackets flex and the pads wear uneven.

Thanks for sharing,
Ryan
And the UMI brackets with Power Slot Rotors would be cheaper . . .

$199 for the UMI Brackets ( from UMI website 8/6/09 ) and $134 for Drilled and Slotted Powerslot Rotors ( on sale from non-sponsor ) . . . = $333 . . .

Brackets are fully welded and gusseted assemblies, with clearances for the spindle castle nut as well as the ABS sensor and wires.

Vrs:

$350 ( from 6LE website 8/6/09 ) for the 6LE system . . .

With the "spacers" beiling individual pieces, the shear points on the bolts holding the caliper in place are doubled, plus what prevents the spacer from pivoting other than the strength of the bolt . . .

Granted the 6LE system requires no cutting of a stock LS1 spindle.

I give 6LE, huge props for taking the initiative of starting his own online company, designing and providing many appearence products for the F-Car enthusiast . . . but delving into "custom" performance parts, especially brake conversions is worrisome . .

I know Bob Bishop and Mitchntx did R&D on their products, and they have stood the test of time.

I like the UMI system, it is based upon a tried and true design, although I do run the original "Bob Bishop" bracket, and and VERY happy with it.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know Bob Bishop and Mitchntx did R&D on their products, and they have stood the test of time.
I installed the trackbrackets recently and can completely vouch on the quality. The size bolts useds, the solid piece bracket, awesome finish.

I was apprehensive of cutting the spindles at first, but once you weigh the advantages it was no big deal. Like I'm ever going back to stock anyways.

The biggest reason I didnt want to cut was because of the CTS brembos bolt on kit, but that idea got knocked out when I saw how much spacer you need to run, plus... say good bye to 17" wheels. I needed to keep my 17s for DD.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

I got my 4 disc and pads for 205$ so I saved a lot here. Kit from 6LE was in the same price range as other kit; 150 with 1 liter of blue brake fluid.

About UMI brackets, do you have to cut, because I really dont wanna cut, thats why I went with 6LE kit.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes the UMI kit requires cutting. I did not care about cutting since, 1. I will most likely never put it back to stock, and 2. if I did the spindles are easily replaced.

The only other kit on the market that does not require cutting is the LG Motorsports version.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Ok thanks!
Old 08-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
OOOPS! Sounds like some more R&D is needed . . . .
Only problem we've had out of 50 kits...
Old 08-08-2009, 04:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
And the UMI brackets with Power Slot Rotors would be cheaper . . .

$199 for the UMI Brackets ( from UMI website 8/6/09 ) and $134 for Drilled and Slotted Powerslot Rotors ( on sale from non-sponsor ) . . . = $333 . . .

Brackets are fully welded and gusseted assemblies, with clearances for the spindle castle nut as well as the ABS sensor and wires.

Vrs:

$350 ( from 6LE website 8/6/09 ) for the 6LE system . . .

With the "spacers" beiling individual pieces, the shear points on the bolts holding the caliper in place are doubled, plus what prevents the spacer from pivoting other than the strength of the bolt . . .

Granted the 6LE system requires no cutting of a stock LS1 spindle.

I give 6LE, huge props for taking the initiative of starting his own online company, designing and providing many appearence products for the F-Car enthusiast . . . but delving into "custom" performance parts, especially brake conversions is worrisome . .

I like the UMI system, it is based upon a tried and true design, although I do run the original "Bob Bishop" bracket, and and VERY happy with it.

All of my braking parts come from most of the same suppliers everyone else on here buys theirs from and resells. Not like I invented this setup...
Old 08-08-2009, 04:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by UMI Performance

Thanks for sharing,
Ryan
Wow, most sponsors don't just randomly trash another sponsor's product ESPECIALLY when they obviously have no clue about it....

The bracket is made out of half inch steel, and the design has MORE in it that certain other brackets that require the customer to NEEDLESSLY cut off a large chunk of their spindle.

This set up is similar to a few others out there (ebay) with no problems and to be honest any C5 conversion is nothing more than a "jury riggged" setup at best.

If you're really looking for performance braking you're not going to attach extra brackets to your spindle to run a larger rotor, you're going to go with a full bigger kit however this is a GREAT upgrade for street cars and light duty racers.

Anyone here who thinks that spacers that are free floating as opposed to welded on (which we could easily do as well) which DO NOT require you to cut your spindle are less safe, well then don't buy our product.

I could buy my brackets from the same company (SCP) Eibach gets them from as well (could be wrong but UMI's looks similar) but I don't want to sell a product that is in my opinion, ghetto, since you have to chop up your spindle for it to work.

I also sell my kits for $150 SHIPPED. Cheapest I have seen "others" is $200 BEFORE shipping which, again for a product that requires a sawzall to your spindle, to me is not the choice I would make and think it is a little silly that my product is considered the lesser of the two.

Sorry just feel I held my tongue long enough on this subject...
Old 08-08-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is a GREAT upgrade for street cars and light duty racers.
Light duty and racer do not belong in the same sentence, especially when you're talking about stopping 3500lbs steel.

I didnt think anyone was bashing your efforts as much as just pointing out the potential weakness in strength of the design.

After all we are talking about someone's safety should they fail, and then blame you.

Why dont you label it an appearance mod, put a disclaimer (not for racing) and leave it be....

no sense in having others who have real #s come in here and really open your eyes.

I understand why you're offended, but what did you expect?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
Light duty and racer do not belong in the same sentence, especially when you're talking about stopping 3500lbs steel.

I didnt think anyone was bashing your efforts as much as just pointing out the potential weakness in strength of the design.

After all we are talking about someone's safety should they fail, and then blame you.

Why dont you label it an appearance mod, put a disclaimer (not for racing) and leave it be....

no sense in having others who have real #s come in here and really open your eyes.

^^^ look up in bold

explain this? his potentional weakness. i work with steel day in and day out. and 1/2" plate that mark uses is by far strong enough. could probly run 3/8" and it would do fine. and if you mean the spacers. as long as the bolt is tight how is it different then UMI. just not welded. if that is his "big" down side. pretty sure mark can send you the set welded together for you.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6

I honestly think you must be talking about a different product because everything you've typed makes no sense to me...

Light duty racer, in other words maybe an every other weekend drag racer or OCCASIONAL auto crosser. NOT BECAUSE OF THE PRODUCT'S STRENGTH/QUALITY but simply because someone who races beyond that needs more than a bigger rotor.

There is no "potential weakness in the strength of the design". My design is superior to other design in many ways:

You don't cut your spindle...

It is half inch steel but also has weight reliefs...

Price...

It is similar in all others:

Powdercoated finish...

High quality bolts, etc...

You guys act like I make this crap in my garage. ALL of my products that are for racing are contracted through www.CMJracing.com They do the designing and engineering of the pieces and have been winning RACES for YEARS.

Appearance mod?!? WTF are you talking about?!?

What did I expect? I expected people to be able to tell the difference in quality (in design, installation, etc...) and price (I make like $15-$20 a set depending on shipping, want to know how much the competition marks their pieces up?) and appreciate what I offer instead of being bandwagon sheep when another sponsor chimes in to sell their product.

Maybe I should make the piece so that you have to molest your car permanently and tack on another $50 of pure profit, charge shipping ON TOP of that and then you'll be happy.

Last edited by 6LITEREATER; 08-08-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
^^^ look up in bold

explain this? his potentional weakness. i work with steel day in and day out. and 1/2" plate that mark uses is by far strong enough. could probly run 3/8" and it would do fine. and if you mean the spacers. as long as the bolt is tight how is it different then UMI. just not welded. if that is his "big" down side. pretty sure mark can send you the set welded together for you.
You're actually exactly right Devin. For all their race cars they do run 3/8" and it is fine. I did 1/2" to be an overkill toward the safety side. Hence getting pissed when it is called a "flimsy" design by people who aren't engineers, crew chiefs, etc... like those who designed this product.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow......Well you just told me.......didnt you? Feel any better?

Look I'm not getting into pissing contest with you, but it doesn't take a genius, engineer or crew chief to figure out that a solid piece is stronger than a 3 piece one.

For anyone who's seen or used the original design, make your conclusion.

Good luck with your sales and I wish you the best.

Quick Reply: Pic of Corvette conversion kit from 6litereater