Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

just finished installing eibach sportline kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont understand u people.. it done my car great, maybe im just not use to a "good" handling car but it definatley handles better than stock. btw who gives a **** about handling i just like going from 25-150 really fast in a straight line i didnt buy them for performance just an apperance mod.. u cant argue aginst it makin the car look ten times better
Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

This section is dominated by a certain sponsor and his followers. If you don't have the regulated and approved suspension combo you will get flamed. Enjoy you car.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
If you don't have the regulated and approved suspension combo you will get flamed.
Nope.. just sportlines. If you have stuff that sucks you get flamed. Enjoy the criticism.. more is on the way
Old 09-01-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd put altezza lights, the tornado intake, and a fake scoop on my car before I put sportlines on it
Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

This section is dominated by a certain sponsor and his followers. If you don't have the regulated and approved suspension combo you will get flamed. Enjoy you car.
that is pretty true. i have to agree with his opinion on this though.

sportlines have the same front rates as the stock 1LE springs, and actually softer rears. pick up a set of those and hack em off 2" and you have essentially the same thing. doesn't take a genius to figure out why that isn't going to be great for handling.

to the OP, the springs look great. for your use, they are fine. i'm only continuing to share my dislike and reasoning for it for those arguing that they are good springs for handling and not just an appearance mod.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is sometimes true, but i think sportlines get hate from everyone. If you use a little simple math and logic you can see that sport lines are TERRIBLE for handling, they are probably the worst spring on the market. They have softer rates compared to other lowering springs, and are still way lower. When you lower the ride height you have to increase the rate so you keep in the suspensions working travel zone and not on bump stops.....

Originally Posted by 828ls1formula
i dont understand u people.. it done my car great, maybe im just not use to a "good" handling car but it definatley handles better than stock. btw who gives a **** about handling i just like going from 25-150 really fast in a straight line i didnt buy them for performance just an apperance mod.. u cant argue aginst it makin the car look ten times better
dude, you posted it in the SUSPENSION and BRAKING section. If you wanted looks feedback only, head over to multimedia or the appearance section. Most people in here care about handling, A LOT. Having a car that only goes fast in a straight line is only 1/2 as fun as one that goes fast around corners AND in a straight line....

The springs looks great, but they are absolute **** as far as working suspension. Just read some stickies and facts on suspension and its easy to see.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Not to start trouble but you have to define "good".
In the sense of a good handling spring, no, they are terrible, arguably the worst. Get under the back of your car and check how much suspension travel you have. This is a picture of the travel with the prokit which is higher than the sportline springs:

You are left with almost no suspension travel and combine that with really soft spring rates and you are on the bump stops 99.9% of the time you are driving. This is why the sportline springs are hated, they are way too low and don't have near enough spring rate to compensate.
Jesus thats horrible.
You said thats with the prokit?
So pretty much any lowering spring will kill travel in the rear, how do you compensate, outside of incresed rates?

Looks to me like there is less than an inch there (on a mild drop like the pro kit) so pretty much no currently available spring will keep you off the stops.
So what do you do, step up to a shorter but stiffer stop?

I think Shon sells some polyurethan ones, that look like you could trim a puck of them, would that help?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Jesus thats horrible.
So pretty much any lowering spring will kill travel in the rear, how do you compensate, outside of incresed rates?

Looks to me like there is less than an inch there (on a mild drop like the pro kit) so pretty much no currently available spring will keep you off the stops.
So what do you do, step up to a shorter but stiffer stop?

I think Shon sells some polyurethan ones, that look like you could trim a puck of them, would that help?
Quality shocks.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Quality shocks.
And a higher rear spring rate and/or rear springs with less drop.

Also the only poly bumps I would try are the E.S. jeep bump stops(#9.9137).
These will give you a little over 1/2" more suspension travel, but when you hit the bumpstops,you'll know it. Since they're noticeably stiffer than the factory bump stops.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 09-01-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

holy bumpstop riding batman
Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jesus thats horrible.
I think that would be with the LS1 pro kits which are soft and saggy. Still not as bad as sportlines.

I have better clearance than that with my LT1 pro-kit.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to see pictures of under the car with all other lowered rear springs set up for the fbody and do a visual comparison.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
And a higher rear spring rate and/or rear springs with less drop.

Also the only poly bumps I would try are the E.S. jeep bump stops(#9.9137).
These will give you a little over 1/2" more suspension travel, but when you hit the bumpstops,you'll know it. Since they're noticeably stiffer than the factory bump stops.
If you increase the rate too much the rearend is just going to be twitchy and not compliant at all.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I'd put altezza lights, the tornado intake, and a fake scoop on my car before I put sportlines on it
thats retarted
Old 09-01-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 828ls1formula
thats retarted
i'm sorry that your thread turned into this haha. i thought it would stop once i explained.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
i'm sorry that your thread turned into this haha. i thought it would stop once i explained.
dont worry about man im not mad i just dont understand why everyone gets so hostile over this.. ha ha o well

and for all yall yeah sportline is prob not the best out there, hell it might be the worst, but like i said it was just an apperance mod and as far as apperance i think i reacehed my goals, now for performance i know its not that great im not arguing that and according to yall im up a **** creek with these springs
Old 09-01-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Quality shocks.
Sorry but from that pic I highly doubt a good shock is going to keep you off the stops much.

Think about it thats a prokit, on of the mildest drops, and theyve got about a 1/4 to a 1/2 of travel, youd have to go crazy on the spring rates and compression dampening to keep you off the bumps, at least on the roads out here, and at that point is it really an optimal setup anymore? Doubt it

Im willing to bet if that seriously is a prokit, and not sportlines, that every other lowering spring is just as bad, so at that point is it even an issue.

I mean is hitting the bump stops that horrible anyway, arent they just a suspension travel limiter.

As Ive been taught, they work like a progressive rate spring, although the actual spring rates can be linear, when you get on the stops, its working like a stiffer spring, to prevent additional suspension movement.

I dont know if what im trying to say is getting across but to me it seemed liek that pic was used to show an issue (limited susp travel) and it seemed like people where saying its something exclusive to eibach, but in reality at least it seems like it to me, that'd be an issue on every spring.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

I would have to say that this thread has at least been constructive, compared to other sportline threads.

Anyway the main thing is you're happy with your sportline lowering springs, enjoy!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry but from that pic I highly doubt a good shock is going to keep you off the stops much.

Think about it thats a prokit, on of the mildest drops, and theyve got about a 1/4 to a 1/2 of travel, youd have to go crazy on the spring rates and compression dampening to keep you off the bumps, at least on the roads out here, and at that point is it really an optimal setup anymore? Doubt it

Im willing to bet if that seriously is a prokit, and not sportlines, that every other lowering spring is just as bad, so at that point is it even an issue.
It is the prokit, taken from this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-question.html
And that is certainly not a "mild drop", while they are rated at a ~1.3" drop they are often much more than this thanks to spring sag, more like a minimum of 1.5" drop.

I mean is hitting the bump stops that horrible anyway, arent they just a suspension travel limiter.

As Ive been taught, they work like a progressive rate spring, although the actual spring rates can be linear, when you get on the stops, its working like a stiffer spring, to prevent additional suspension movement.

I dont know if what im trying to say is getting across but to me it seemed liek that pic was used to show an issue (limited susp travel) and it seemed like people where saying its something exclusive to eibach, but in reality at least it seems like it to me, that'd be an issue on every spring.
Hitting the bumps stops are not bad, how hard you hit them (and how often) is what matters, which is controlled by shocks and spring rate.
And yes this generally is a eibach issue (or any spring with 1.5" or lower drop) because the springs sag, so their claimed drop is not the same as the actual drop. I have WAY more travel than that (although I have the stock shorter WS6/SS bumps stops, but even with the Z28 ones it would still be more).
Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell... This thread has gone to the shiter anyways...

I have BMR springs.. How good/bad are they and what for..

I only care about the drag racing aspect.. But am also curious as to how they match up against others in the corners, just for ***** and giggles!

Quick Reply: just finished installing eibach sportline kit