Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Slammed but in need of headers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 04:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slammed but in need of headers.

Well, here is the dilema. My 2000 Trans Am is slammed. Almost crawling in fact, it looks really good and handles like a dream however will not make it up most driveways. The Eibach Sportline springs have been cut in the front however, i'm not sure about the back ones. As for rims I have some C5 Y2K rims and the 275's on the back would not even spin, i had to get a small spacer and use the BFH (Big Freakin Hammer) mod on the wheel well. The car was this way when I bought it and although it looks cool, the man had no intention of adding any performance mods. I on the other hand would like some QTP longtubes and will probably go with an ORY. Could I get some advice on some springs that would make the car high enough for this setup? I'll post some better pictures for reference.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Strano springs. In all reality, if you drop the car more than 1-1.25" you'll have serious issues w/ headers and other exhaust components not being destroyed. Did you plan on upgrading your shocks at the same time? I'm assuming stock DeCarbons still?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have eibach pro-kit (strano was out) but they have about the same drop as strano.

I have FLP longtubes and I have to watch it. The long tubes tuck up fine and I don't have issue with them but I do scrape on the y-pipe over large speed bumps or if I am not watching it.

I am with JamR though, I would not go any lower than 1.3" if I was going to run long tubes.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BMR or stranos (no lower than 1.25 with LT's).
Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, the car gets raped on speed bumps. Like it's so low the tranny has hit. the Air dam is my index finger and my middle finger off the ground and the stock Y pipe is lower than a credit card longways(by about a half an inch) I want to just go with the eibach sport line drop because I have one spring already so i only need the others. i'm just not sure if i can have enough clearence after. But the car isnt a daily driver so i can keep it pretty low

EDIT: and I would like new shocks but not now.. probably some suspension work after the exhaust is finished
Old 08-31-2009, 04:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

While your car is definitely too low now (apparently even too low for stock components), I call b.s. on the no lower than 1.25" drop with LT's comments...

I'm running the X/S stainless LT's and ORY with over a 2" drop and I only occasionally scrape the ORY on speedbumps. If I go slow enough and at an angle, I clear all but the most aggressive ones. I run G2 springs and Koni S/A on the lower perch/hose mod combo. If the springs were softer than the G2's, then I can see where you couldn't go as low.

I think my Fquick page has a pic of my ORY next to a soda can...

In summary, you can go with a 2" drop using the right selection of springs.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i don't know how you do it.

I scrape on a lot of speed bumps CRAWLING over them. The y-pipe just hangs too low.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be a combination of having inadequate spring rates and too low of an exhaust. Get a good spring, tuck the exhaust, and you should be good.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gun4hire
While your car is definitely too low now (apparently even too low for stock components), I call b.s. on the no lower than 1.25" drop with LT's comments...

I'm running the X/S stainless LT's and ORY with over a 2" drop and I only occasionally scrape the ORY on speedbumps. If I go slow enough and at an angle, I clear all but the most aggressive ones. I run G2 springs and Koni S/A on the lower perch/hose mod combo. If the springs were softer than the G2's, then I can see where you couldn't go as low.

I think my Fquick page has a pic of my ORY next to a soda can...

In summary, you can go with a 2" drop using the right selection of springs.
Just like ride quality there are levels of what people think is 'acceptable clearance' when going over speedbumps. If you can't clear a speedbump your **** is way too low. The only 'acceptable' scrape to me is a very serious incline/decline situation going into a parking lot or driveway....and that better be scraping something not critical or extremely damaging....and I still don't even like that.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think my 600lb/in springs are not the reason, especially since i am CRAWLING over them.

the y-pipe does hang low and it is big, but I really don't think even if it was touching the body I could run a 2" lowering successfully.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

If anyone cares, I finally posted the pictures.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brian'sCharlotte(TA)
If anyone cares, I finally posted the pictures.
Sweet ride, but your car is way to low up front.

It's clearly lower than 2"!

And you weren't kidding about it being slammed!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Def more than 2" drop! .. looks a bit lower than mine.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have a custom exhaust made using oval tubing that may help too!