Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering Column Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Column Swap Questions

Hey guys. I am looking into swapping a steering column into a 2001 1SC Z28 car. I bought the car with a damaged wiper/turn signal/highbeam/lowbeam switch. I compared it to my 98 Z28 and it appears a major component with how the high beam low beam rod is missing. So, rather than hunt down what that part may be, it's in my best interest to just pick up an $80 steering column. Here are my questions:

1) Will any 93-02 Camaro/Firebird Column work?

2) Can I use a cruise control column? 1sc cars don't have cruise but shouldn't all the original accessories work from it and just cruise not work since it's not on the car?

3) Can I just use the key that comes with the new column? If not what's easier? Doing a VATS delete or swapping ignition cylinders so that I can use the original key for that car.

I'm familiar with removing the columns from these cars and it seems so much easier than searching down a switch that already costs $40 and then praying I can figure out the high beam rod part that's missing.

Thanks in advance!

-Josh
Old 10-13-2009, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

bump...maybe I should try general maintenance and repairs? It's always bugged me that there is not a STEERING section on the forum...
Old 10-15-2009, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

Fwiw after reading about the vats delete procedure, that apeears to be the easiest and best way to go. That is granted that the procedure works as it should .
Old 10-17-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I dont have an answer for you, but I'm in the same boat. Im also still deciding if its easier to swap out the column, or to just get a used one, and strip it for parts that I need to repair my column, as like you, my highbeam setup isnt working after I did some work on my column, and really am not sure what piece(s) im missing. So could just use the replacement column as a guide to just transfer the parts into my current column and not have to deal with the VATS or key issue... Good luck though!

Quick Reply: Steering Column Swap Questions