Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering TA

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
FWIW, I dont see the problem with cutting springs. Yeah its the "cheap way", but if you get the right shocks theres no difference other than a possible better ride quality (still having stock springs). As far as the "lower control arm" angle being a problem? seriously? lowering springs are gonna do that anyway, get it aligned. Also about the rear end being off center now, I am running all stock on my car and the right rear tire contacts the inner fender whereas the driver rear does not. I had to bang the inner fender in a little bit today to keep it from rubbing on hard lefts. So I would think it wouldnt be too far off after 1" lowering.

OP, do it man, I plan on doing it, its cheaper and its gonna ride better than rigid aftermarket springs. Also wtf is the heater hose mod? Im still a little new to my car
my point was most people who cut springs do it to get the look of a lowered car without spending any money. there's no way someone who doesn't wanna buy springs is going to pay $4-800 for shocks, $100 for an alignment, $80 for lca relocation brackets, and $125 for an adjustable phb to correct the geometry of the lowered suspension.

it's not going to critically damage anything, but looks is the only thing it's going to help. lowering springs are stiffer for a reason. they reduce roll, but also have to have a stiffer spring rate to compensate for the lower ride height.

i'm not saying don't do it, just know what you're doing when you do.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys I cut a coil out of the front and did the heater hose mod in the rear, I turned out great the stance of the car looks good, and honestly the ride quality is no diffrent besides u have to watch what u drive over. Its raining here but when its not I will get some pics up. Thanks for all the input.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn.

I was thinking of buying some Eibach springs and calling it a day.

But if it's going to completely destroy my car...no thanks.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

i don't want people to get the wrong idea now. throwing on just springs or cutting the stock ones will not DESTROY the car. you're not going to die if you do it. however, the stock suspension is designed for the stock ride height. start going lower, and things will change such that the lengths/angles of your stock parts will no longer be entirely correct. everything will still work, but not to it's full potential.

now my stance on the "just springs" thing: at least this way you're doing something somewhat beneficial(unless you go with sportlines). going with a stiffer spring at least you'll be reducing roll. it also helps avoid bottoming out and riding the bump stops. downside is that the stock shocks will be even less capable of handling them.

honestly $1k in suspension will make a way bigger difference than $1k in bolt-ons. people have no problem whatsoever dropping $500 for a set of headers but cringe at the thought of buying anything more than some tubular lca's. i bought my car intending on modding it for drag. i found a few deals a bit too good to pass up and have done almost entirely suspension since. these cars a TON more fun to drive with a decent suspension setup. they actually feel like performance cars once they're riding on decent shocks/swaybars. it's more than worth it to just bite the bullet, save, and do things right.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
it's more than worth it to just bite the bullet, save, and do things right.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
i don't want people to get the wrong idea now. throwing on just springs or cutting the stock ones will not DESTROY the car. you're not going to die if you do it. however, the stock suspension is designed for the stock ride height. start going lower, and things will change such that the lengths/angles of your stock parts will no longer be entirely correct. everything will still work, but not to it's full potential.
Well put. One thing you didn't mention was an adjustable torque arm. I know this will help gain traction, but how important is it to adjust pinion (driveline) angle after lowering?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Bo's 98 TA
OK guys I cut a coil out of the front and did the heater hose mod in the rear, I turned out great the stance of the car looks good, and honestly the ride quality is no diffrent besides u have to watch what u drive over. Its raining here but when its not I will get some pics up. Thanks for all the input.
Glad it worked out for you (as some of us said it would from the beginning). Ignore all the nonsense posted up about needing this and that for your suspension ... you lowered the car a little ... at most an alignment will get you straight.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02WS6SSZ71
Well put. One thing you didn't mention was an adjustable torque arm. I know this will help gain traction, but how important is it to adjust pinion (driveline) angle after lowering?
to be perfectly honest, i left it out because i really don't know much about it. i haven't messed with the torque arm at all so i don't want to put out any false information. maybe someone else who knows more can comment on this.

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Glad it worked out for you (as some of us said it would from the beginning). Ignore all the nonsense posted up about needing this and that for your suspension ... you lowered the car a little ... at most an alignment will get you straight.
once again, it certainly won't completely ruin anything, but there are downsides to taking the cheap way out. as i've already stated 3 times if you're just going for looks, it's fine.

all i was trying to do was educate people on why the other parts are available and why so many people(like myself) recommend them. from my personal experience, i would never lower a car without plans of adding those parts soon after. i did it once without and will not make that mistake again.

Quick Reply: Lowering TA