Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI or Spohn Sway Bar Spacer kit for use with Watts Link

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default UMI or Spohn Sway Bar Spacer kit for use with Watts Link

I put the Fays2 Watts link on my car back in the summer. You have to space the sway bar down in order to clear the axle clamps so the kit comes with spacers to put between the axle clamp and the sway bar bushing. At any rate, the stock U-bolts were not long enough to go through the spacer and bushing and allow a nut to be put on sufficiently, so I went to the hardware store and got some U bolt clamps with some long ubolts. Long story short, apparently the grade of metal is pretty low and I managed to break one of them. In the mean time I managed to jam the stock ubolt on there and thread both nuts, and although they are holding I am thinking this is just a temporary fix.

I have seen that Spohn and UMI make sway spacer kits that were intended for clearing larger axle housings. I have heard that Spohn doesn't really make one for stock axle tubes, although they have one listed on their site for stock tubes. UMI clearly makes one for stock axle tubes. I want to know if anyone with a Watts has used one of these kits, preferably with the stock axle, and whether they have enough clearance from the Watts. Also if anyone has a Spohn kit for a stock rear please chime in and let me know if that fits well or is really just a 3 inch tube kit that sort of fits the stock axle.

Thanks.

My install thread was here https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...questions.html
Old 11-08-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem and bought some longer U bolts from Home Depot- def not the same quality as the original piece! Not a single Auto parts store had anything longer!?? I am interested in a more permanant fix as well!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Hmmm guess I will be a guinea pig.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I am guessing you bought your Watt's from Strano? If so give him a call. He will get you squared away.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see any reason why our kit would not work with it. It wouldn't hurt to double check with Sam but I would think you would be fine
Old 11-11-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
I don't see any reason why our kit would not work with it. It wouldn't hurt to double check with Sam but I would think you would be fine
Yeah I am getting the kit and I will find out.

Quick Reply: UMI or Spohn Sway Bar Spacer kit for use with Watts Link