Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which torque arm is better???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brokenbird
my edelbrock looks nothing like that it looks more like the umi but with edelbrock's name on it
Edelbrock makes nice items don''t get me wrong. The problem is there torque arm just isn't built to handle high output vehicles. The arms have failed not due to there build quality but because of material choice (too small). The items may look similar but we use 1-1/4" tubing while Edelbrock uses 1" tubing, it could even be thinner wall tubing as well, we use 1/8" wall DOM tubing. Also we use 3/8" thick plate to build our rear mounting bracket while Edelbrock was using 3/16" thick. We use 3/16" plate for the center support while Edelbrock uses 1/8". That right there makes all the difference in the world and again I respect Edelbrock and there products.. I feel for a lightly modified vehicle there setup would be just fine.

Below I posted some updated pictures to help better explain our quality and material choices. Hope this helps!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:09 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I can't beleive after all these years, I'm still running a stock factory torque arm. BUT, I'm on 19s, and traction is non-existant. Is there anything to gain from swapping torque arms? Am I going to get some traction back?

It could help, but I can't and won't stand here and say it'll be a miracle cure in your case. Stock TA's flex, and that flex doens't allow the tires to be planted as hard into the ground. But that usually manifests itself in wheelhop. Not always, but usually.

If you get an adjustable TA and put some negative pinion angle in it, that can help plant the tires to. But 19's have little sidewall, and are probably never going to "hook" all that well anyway--but ever bit matters when you are lacking traction.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I am running BMR everything under my car for the most part.. after lowering it and adding all the adjustable pieces underneath..it did make a day and night difference..I am very happy with the quality and the whole fit.. I think BMR was worth it..
Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Hey UMI,

How come you changed the design of the torque arm where it goes into the bushing? Did you argue with BMR about that? Looks like you went with their design? I have the old crimped looking end that I just installed. Is mine going to fail?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No it will not fail. We had a few reasons, one reason was the front crimped end kept getting bent during shipping. Once the bracket is bent back and forth a few times it weakens it. Also with a few competitors lowering prices recently we needed to find different ways to manufacture this item to stay competitive but no sacrifice quality in anyway. This newer deign allowed us to reduce the price of the torque arm by $30.00! This was because of the reduce manufacturing time involved in the newer design.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 11-17-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like my BMR piece..
Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My edelbrock failed at the heim Joint. Which, by the way, is substantially smaller than any other aftermarket TA heim joint i've ever messed with.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Apparently I ruffled a feather or two since my post was removed, so I'll try again. I'm a paying sponsor of this site and want to point out that round nose TA's are not just special to certain brands. SLP, Random Tech and Addco all make or make round nose TA's and have for years, now you can add UMI to the list.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Last edited by Sam Strano; 11-17-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:08 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Apparently I ruffled a feather or two since my post was removed, so I'll try again. I'm a paying sponsor of this site and want to point out that round nose TA's are not just special to certain brands. SLP, Random Tech and Addco all make or make round nose TA's and have for years, now you can add UMI to the list.
I missed your post... damn I hate when I miss drama. This site is good for censoring everything.

I know with 19s, traction is a joke, but if I can reduce wheelhop, that's a good thing for a stock 10-bolt. Thanks for the advice Sam. When I get one, you'll be who I call.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

UMIs TQ arm is different than BMRs by the way the tube is designed at the front. Just saw you happen to have a Moser 12 bolt. LMAO-If you run most aftermarket TQ arms-with a moser not drilled for a moser-it is best you get the correct hardware or you will have problems. Its not Mosers or anyones fault-just a proper install and no worries.

Last edited by tillery; 11-17-2009 at 08:32 PM.