Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front left caliper bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front left caliper bracket

I have an issue, 1 of the caliper slide pins for the front caliper bracket has siezed inside the caliper bracket. So, long story short, I cannot find a front brake caliper bracket. The caliper is fine, I just need a bracket. All the corner shops have rear brackets but no front brackets. Anyone know anywhere else other than the dealership.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great question. same thing happened here and this time my car is parked at the airport. couldnt miss my flight, even with no front brake. i called those autozone and the others with no success.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Tried the classifieds on the forum? There always seems to be a F body being parted out.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just gotta go to the dealership.
did you kill the guide pin and the bracket while trying to get it out or did you just give up?

i had this happen to me not too long ago. dealership needed a couple days to get the part, so i said i'd call back after i confirmed that i could replace it if i destroyed that rust welded POS. only after that did i feel i could do what i needed to do to get the pin out. i went at it for hours and i was convinced it would never come out. i went at it from every angle and there was a good hour or so that i can't remember because i was filled with pure frustration and rage - i'm surprised i didn't end up in the hospital messing with that thing.

long story short, a torch did the trick. heat that thing up and it will come out.

good luck either way. if there are small children within earshot, you better just go to the dealership.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Teching In

I'm glad that the OP posted this, as I thought that this was a one of those things that only happened to me. I find it very interesting that at least in this small sampling the caliper pin froze on the left not the right caliper. Then again I'm an electrical engineer not a mechanical / hydraulic engineer that might have some insight into this problem.

I also gave up trying to remove the pin and ordered the caliper bracket from the dealer a couple of years ago when I ran into the same issue. I felt safer with a new replacement part in this area.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

i had the same problem with my ls1 caliper. one of the slides was rusted in. It took a pair of vice grips and a table clamp to hold it in place while i just twisted and pulled to get it out. it was very hard to get out but eventually i was able to get it. cleaned up the hole and eveything is fine\

i too went to the parts store to buy a new caliper to only find out they didnt come with the bracket. so i just pulled it out. saved me some money

you might wanna try some PB blaster and let it soak in for a while. (penetrating fluid)
Old 11-22-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiz02
I'm glad that the OP posted this, as I thought that this was a one of those things that only happened to me. I find it very interesting that at least in this small sampling the caliper pin froze on the left not the right caliper. Then again I'm an electrical engineer not a mechanical / hydraulic engineer that might have some insight into this problem.

I also gave up trying to remove the pin and ordered the caliper bracket from the dealer a couple of years ago when I ran into the same issue. I felt safer with a new replacement part in this area.
mine was also the front left.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

when I replaced my brakes the one of the left front pins and all of the rear ones had dried grease in them, They came out ok and I greased them all and have not had a problem yet.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like I need to try putting a torch to it. Not tonight though, have to watch my Texans destroy Vince Young. I tried tugging on that thing from every direction with no result. Looks like the grease dried up.

Called the dealership and the part is 98 bucks. It's just so strange that all the part stores only carry a rear caliper bracket. They even said new calipers don't include the bracket. I'll keep an eye on the classifieds.

Thanks for the insight guys, hopfully I'll have it back on the road during Turkey day. BTW, it is the drivers side and the top slide pin.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Is it for an ls1 car? Bc I have some off of an lt1 car.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's an LS1.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just wanted to let everyone know, I used the old bracket. Put a torch to the bracket and was able to pull the pin out. Cleaned the whole with a magnet and shop vac then greased the new pin, everything works great. Looks good with the flat black calipers and new rotors. Plus the Wagners work pretty good from my perspective. Next, to do the rears.

Quick Reply: front left caliper bracket