Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

spring spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default spring spacers?

i have the Koni/Strano Spring setup, and i love the ride it gives with the increased spring rates.....but i'm scraping my exhaust (stock for now) on everything.....where could i buy a spacer for the springs so that i could raise the height back up by about .25 - .5 inches or so on all 4 corners?

i kinda don't want to go back to the stock springs with the lower perch/heater hose mod, because while it may give me back some of my ride height, the spring rates won't be as firm.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Trunion King

Or you can sell or trade your strano springs for 1LE springs/SS/WS6 Springs and do the lower perch/heater hose mod.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For the front place 1/4" of washers between the lower arm and each lower shock mount bolt holes.This will bring the front up 3/8" to 1/2", but remember you'll still have the same amount of suspension travel as before, not more.

In the rear try around 3ft of 5/8" oil fuel line hose on each side (you want enough to cover 2 full coils). Spray windex in side the hose and quickly push the hose on the spring until the whole hose in is 1 full coil down from the top up of the spring, then reinstall with the factory upper isolator. The should give you around the lift your looking for. Adjust the hose length as needed to get the exact height you want.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
For the front place 1/4" of washers between the lower arm and each lower shock mount bolt holes.This will bring the front up 3/8" to 1/2", but remember you'll still have the same amount of suspension travel as before, not more.

In the rear try around 3ft of 5/8" oil fuel line hose on each side (you want enough to cover 2 full coils). Spray windex in side the hose and quickly push the hose on the spring until the whole hose in is 1 full coil down from the top up of the spring, then reinstall with the factory upper isolator. The should give you around the lift your looking for. Adjust the hose length as needed to get the exact height you want.
that's certainly an option for the front, but i'm not sure that the heater hose is going to provide much (if any) actual lift in the rear.....rubber hose + rubber isolator = too much compressibility with the weight of the car on it to give it much lift. not only that, but i'm kinda wanting a bit more lift in the rear than in the front anyway, since the rear is on the bumpstops a bit more often than i like, and the extra shock travel out back should help a lot in that regard.

it would also be nice to have a bit more shock travel in the front as well, so an alternate, pre-built option would be preferred....i'm thinking something more like a spacer that fits around the body of the shock and sits under the lower spring perch rubber isolator, in between the isolator and the spring perch...or even replaces the spring perch entirely, with a bit of extra thickness added to it....that would provide some lift, as well as extra shock travel.

i know i could probably have my stepdad mill me up some spacers, since he has a metal lathe, but it would be best for my time constraints if i already had some spacers ready to go, so i could just pull everything off, slap the spacers in there, and reassemble everything. if i were to have my stepdad mill me some spacers, it would require the car to be apart for longer than i prefer, seeing as how this is my daily driver, and i don't have another vehicle available to me to drive while it's down.

i'll resort to that if i have to, but if there is an easier, faster option, i'd prefer that. by the way, if i do need to resort to this option, does anyone happen to know the outer diameter of the front/rear springs so i can know what diameter of metal stock i would need to fab up the spacers?

and does anyone know any places that make/sell pre-fabbed spacers?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the front springs are 5"OD, and the rears are 5.5"OD .
Old 12-01-2009, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, we offer some 1/2" aluminum spacers that go underneath the shock on the lower a arm. If you need more than the 1/2" you can double them up to raise the front an 1". If you have any questions please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails spring spacers?-springcups-thumb.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bene
Or you can sell or trade your strano springs for 1LE springs/SS/WS6 Springs and do the lower perch/heater hose mod.

I'm getting ready to take off my DMS springs and replace them with my stock 1LE (98 SS) springs just as desribed above. I may end up going with Strano springs after that if I'm not satisfied with the ride height.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by pjb
I'm getting ready to take off my DMS springs and replace them with my stock 1LE (98 SS) springs just as desribed above. I may end up going with Strano springs after that if I'm not satisfied with the ride height.
LMK when you want to sell those to me w/ the rear isolators.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bene
LMK when you want to sell those to me w/ the rear isolators.
which ones?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by pjb
which ones?
Either... 1LE springs or DMS springs.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

DMS springs are for sale. I have a guy that is supposed to give me $150 next week, but until I see the money they are still for sale.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Any pics of the heater hose spring mod? What's its longevity vs. just buying some aluminum spacers???
Old 12-06-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nevermind I found the heater hose sticky. lol
Old 12-06-2009, 02:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Hello, we offer some 1/2" aluminum spacers that go underneath the shock on the lower a arm. If you need more than the 1/2" you can double them up to raise the front an 1". If you have any questions please let me know.
I can see that is the way to raise the front but is there any way to raise the rear?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28

BMR sales these !Spacers for the front lower control arms
Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

BMR or make ur own,

never saw anyone else make them.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jeez....autozone sells them.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Jeez....autozone sells them.
Even for the rears?
Old 12-08-2009, 03:48 AM
On The Tree

^^X2 I would love to raise my rear up a bit. My rear seems to be lower than my front, dont like that.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Junkie

go on ebay (or a web search) for "king starboard"

here is an auction for some, 1/4" thick

its marine grade plastic, easily machined and cut. won't rot or compress.

cut a piece that fits between your isolator and the frame.

they sell it in all kinds of thicknesses, the one i listed was 1/4", but maybe 3/8" or 1/2" would be better.

Quick Reply: spring spacers?