Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone Build Their Own Watts Link?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It's fine to drag race on. Doesn't really do much to help traction itself, but can make the car more stable at the big end (provided you are on something like a drag radial and not a bias-slick).
sam does watts link work on a srtange 12 bolt, thats what I have.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

how many watts links are out there and which one is the best, and whats the weight on them.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric's from Midwest Chassis is the best. hands down. weights all 11.69 lbs
Old 12-07-2009, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

It looks like it weighs a ton. Well, there's yet another fact filled statement. What exactly would weighing a ton be? How much more than stock?

And to compare the Watts link on a Fabbed 9" to a Fays is a joke. We are talking about the only lateral location device on the car, a device that has to take serious loads. Anything that weighs less than a PHB setup just cannot be nearly strong enough because a PHB is as simple as it gets. How can you get more simple or lighter than one straight rod (two if you count the brace which is also replaced by a Fays2)?????

Your next statement, that is WRONG is that it doesn't work on a 9". It does, just not on a Fabbed 9".

I respectfully submit that you ask the questions before adding your commentary. This is twice in the last week you slam on the product based on assumptions. You know what they say about making assumptions......

The fact of the matter is this. All the lateral load is carried by the frame. And that's they only thing that differs that much between what you have (and are defending by attacking the other option). And I'm sorry, but anyone who knows anything about lateral loads knows that you don't rely on one bent and angled bar to carry those loads, especially when the idea of a Watts link is to more precisely locate the axle, period.

You also fail to consider that the axle clamps you get with a Fays (and I'm sure you are adding to the weight) are also there on you unit--just built on to the housing so you can't get a separate weight on them.

Before I say anything about the weight, I want to know what "a ton" is from Big Bird.... Then I'll tell you guys.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-07-2009, 11:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
Eric's from Midwest Chassis is the best. hands down. weights all 11.69 lbs
Ahh... the old "it's the best" statement... Based on your experience with others? I have a lot of experience with other links from my working on Mustangs too.

Get a weight with the brackets too, you aren't counting those. And yes, I agree that it will be lighter because the frame is far less stiff. I know that's extra weight to you.... but I'd rather it not fail or flex.

Lakewood makes a Watts link for S197 Mustangs that is more similar to the Midwest than the Fays... and they have had issues with them failing.... And what's funny is they have more bracing than the Midwest unit. I can't post the pic I have of the Midwest unit, maybe Big Bird will. But I can post the Fays, and you guys can decide which would keep things located better:

http://stranoparts.com/partdetails.p...D=67&ModelID=7

Old 12-07-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

So Sam what i want to know is if i put the fays watts on my camaro is will it fit my 12 bolt strange and whats the weight from removing phb to put on the watts.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sam... its called strength by design... kinda like the fact my 9 inch rears are lighter than the stock rearend and are ALOT stronger. keep in mind I use all chromemoly material as where the Fays is mild steel, my design is in a straight line as the Fays has bends in both directions, thus requiring extra gusseting. dont discount my product until you have one in your hands and make it fail... I have not been in here bashing or even a single comment on what you have or sell. as a matter of fact I recommend you to my customers that are interested in some of the things you offer and your knowledge/experience in what you do. I simply offer this setup to my Fabricated 9 inch rearend customers that want a watts link with it that no one else offers, and at an affordable price. please... just let it go.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Sam... its called strength by design... kinda like the fact my 9 inch rears are lighter than the stock rearend and are ALOT stronger. keep in mind I use all chromemoly material as where the Fays is mild steel, my design is in a straight line as the Fays has bends in both directions, thus requiring extra gusseting. dont discount my product until you have one in your hands and make it fail... I have not been in here bashing or even a single comment on what you have or sell. as a matter of fact I recommend you to my customers that are interested in some of the things you offer and your knowledge/experience in what you do. I simply offer this setup to my Fabricated 9 inch rearend customers that want a watts link with it that no one else offers, and at an affordable price. please... just let it go.
so does you watts link fit strange 12 bolt. thank you
Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes... i can make it fit a 12 bolt if that is what you need.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A Fays link will work on any standard type housing axle with 3" axle tubes (or a stock GM axle with 2.625" axles). I have customers running them on 12-bolts, S60's and 9's as well as stock 10-bolts. The only possible issue is where they locate the vent.... But even if it's right where the clamps need to be, you can drill a hole in the clamp to fit. Ford 8.8" links have clamps like that stock because they vents are in a known position, the vary on aftermarket GM axles.

Eric: I have no issue with you here, it's Big Bird's going off presenting certain things as fact, without all the facts, which he does a fair bit. He assumes.

As for your Watts design. No doubt it's lighter than a Fays in total, my issue is simple. All that lateral load is carried by tubes that are bent, which makes them inherently weaker than a straight tube (like say a PHB). PHB's aren't really that weak, the geometry just sucks. Where lateral loads are not high, I have no doubt it will be fine--like for drag racing. But I'm sorry I cannot agree that I feel it's bulletproof seeing as I've seen a lot of odd things break when subjected to the forces we put on cars that are never a problem for most others. I would invite you to post a picture or two of your unit here, since they are hard to find and let folks decide on their own.

I'm confident in the design, I have Fays2 units on both my pony-cars (Camaro and *gasp* Mustang).

We'll just have to agree to very much disagree on this one. I don't think, for instance that single tube k-members are very strong which is why I lobbied hard for one that wasn't from UMI (and got it). But there are others that disagree. The difference here is that I'm not a drag racer, and dabbling in some cornering isn't quite the same as doing what I do, and so I view things from a different perspective.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 12-07-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

It looks like it weighs a ton. Well, there's yet another fact filled statement. What exactly would weighing a ton be? How much more than stock?a ton. i would say 10lbs and up would be more than needed.

And to compare the Watts link on a Fabbed 9" to a Fays is a joke. We are talking about the only lateral location device on the car, a device that has to take serious loads. Anything that weighs less than a PHB setup just cannot be nearly strong enough because a PHB is as simple as it gets. How can you get more simple or lighter than one straight rod (two if you count the brace which is also replaced by a Fays2)?????the watts from MWC has a brace that repalces the stock brace. and gives more room for a good dual over the axle exhaust or 4" system

Your next statement, that is WRONG is that it doesn't work on a 9". It does, just not on a Fabbed 9". ok. so show me one picture of the Fays on a Back braced 9"

I respectfully submit that you ask the questions before adding your commentary. This is twice in the last week you slam on the product based on assumptions. You know what they say about making assumptions......ask the question before i post. um what questions? i didnt have a question to ask.

The fact of the matter is this. All the lateral load is carried by the frame. And that's they only thing that differs that much between what you have (and are defending by attacking the other option). And I'm sorry, but anyone who knows anything about lateral loads knows that you don't rely on one bent and angled bar to carry those loads, especially when the idea of a Watts link is to more precisely locate the axle, period.

You also fail to consider that the axle clamps you get with a Fays (and I'm sure you are adding to the weight) are also there on you unit--just built on to the housing so you can't get a separate weight on them.if you want me to add the two pieces that are welded to my fab9 i could guess them to be around 2-3lbs max. it is two tubes welded on with big bolts.

Before I say anything about the weight, I want to know what "a ton" is from Big Bird.... Then I'll tell you guys.
Sam look ^ in bold

sam pictures are below.

first picture is the rear. you can see the two bots that bolt on to the watts.

the 2nd pic is the watts. it is in the bottom center of the picture.

(side note you can also see the Eric deleted my spring perchs on the rear since i went to a rear coil over set-up. and it also deleted my panhard bar locating spot)
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Build Their Own Watts Link?-my-rear.jpg   Anyone Build Their Own Watts Link?-my-rear-parts.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 04:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

... I'd guess. Well, that's my point exactly.

A Fays2 completely boxed up, with the cardboard nuts, bolts (including extra nuts for setup that have no nylock) is 27 pounds. Take away the weight of the box, papers, extra nuts, etc. and it's more like 23. Add the "guesstimated" weight of 2-3 pounds, which is only your guess and add that to your original number..... See how the weights are getting closer and closer???? Probably not.

Yes, a Fays weighs more than what you have--and I'm glad it does. Considering that I've seen PHB's bend, and brackets rip clean off of axles, and how much the body mount flexes, I'm very happy to drag that Fays2 frame around (which itself is actually quite light) because it is stronger, and offers more support to the body mount too.

To each his own. You are a self proclaimed expert--who jumps the gun a lot. The difference in total weight between a fully installed Watts link and tubular PHB/stock PHB brace setup is about 15 pounds. 15 pounds difference. That only leaves another 1985 pounds to get to your ton. I know you didn't mean a real ton--but your post intimated that the Fays2 is super heavy. I don't think 15 pounds is, and I wouldn't want to carry it where it does no good, like on swaybars. But here, this is strength. You can argue with me all you want. I believe anyone with much common sense can look at both pictures and make their own decision--which is what will have to happen.

And I should add this: A Fays2 allows you to level your Watts arms at your RC height. And the RC height adjustment is adjustable in smaller increments as the bolt holes overlap. And fwiw, the hardware isn't the same either.... The pivot bolt on a Fays2 is huge, and if you don't think that isn't important: Saleen had issues breaking the pivot bolt on their S197 Mustang links....
Old 12-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Banned

... I'd guess. Well, that's my point exactly.

A Fays2 completely boxed up, with the cardboard nuts, bolts (including extra nuts for setup that have no nylock) is 27 pounds. Take away the weight of the box, papers, extra nuts, etc. and it's more like 23. Add the "guesstimated" weight of 2-3 pounds, which is only your guess and add that to your original number..... See how the weights are getting closer and closer???? Probably not. i see weights getting closer. and i will say that the fays weights a lot less then i thought. i was thinking more in the 35lb range.

Yes, a Fays weighs more than what you have--and I'm glad it does. Considering that I've seen PHB's bend, and brackets rip clean off of axles, and how much the body mount flexes, I'm very happy to drag that Fays2 frame around (which itself is actually quite light) because it is stronger, and offers more support to the body mount too.

To each his own. You are a self proclaimed expert--who jumps the gun a lot. The difference in total weight between a fully installed Watts link and tubular PHB/stock PHB brace setup is about 15 pounds. 15 pounds difference. That only leaves another 1985 pounds to get to your ton. I know you didn't mean a real ton--but your post intimated that the Fays2 is super heavy. I don't think 15 pounds is, and I wouldn't want to carry it where it does no good, like on swaybars. But here, this is strength. You can argue with me all you want. I believe anyone with much common sense can look at both pictures and make their own decision--which is what will have to happen. i agree with you on not wanting to cary weight if it does no good. reason i am going with your sway bars.

And I should add this: A Fays2 allows you to level your Watts arms at your RC height. And the RC height adjustment is adjustable in smaller increments as the bolt holes overlap. And fwiw, the hardware isn't the same either.... The pivot bolt on a Fays2 is huge, and if you don't think that isn't important: Saleen had issues breaking the pivot bolt on their S197 Mustang links....the support bearing on te MWC watts is a 1 1/2" bearing. that is pretty "huge" and idk if you can tell from the pictures( they are not the best) but the MWC can be adj up and down to.
but i think we need to come to an agreement to disagree. i have tons of faith in Eric's stuff. he has done wonders for the f-body market. giving us a fully custom rear to out liking.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
but i think we need to come to an agreement to disagree. i have tons of faith in Eric's stuff. he has done wonders for the f-body market. giving us a fully custom rear to out liking.
We certainly will have to disagree. I'm not saying Eric hasn't made good stuff, and for drag racing apps I think that setup is just fine. It's completely unfair of you to think I'm saying it's junk. For my beliefs and use, that doesn't cut it. I'm more picky and pound on things much harder.

My issue is quite simple, and it's more to do with how you make these blanket statements than anything else.

I wasn't talking about the bearing size... I was talking about the bolt size. The bolt is one of my issues beyone the frame. And I think it's obvious the pivot bolts are not the same size, simply based on the holes in the frame the bolt passes through to locate the propellor. And while we're at it....

I have no idea on this with the Midwest unit, but Fays2 uses 2 bearings in the propellor to make sure no undue twisting torque is applied to the pivot bolt. Maybe the MW unit does too, I'm just saying I know the Fays does.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
I use all chromemoly material as where the Fays is mild steel
And are you properly TIG welding it with the appropriate filler rod? I'm also curious if you're heat treating it after welding or doing any form of FEA on the design to iterate it before producing it. Please don't take my questions as an attack, I do not know what you do, I have no experience with your parts/products, and I am very curious.

Sam, I think you missed my previous post regarding the 77-96 B-Body (Impala SS/Caprice) chassis...do you think you/fays will ever offer a Watts solution for it? It's got a rear suspension very similar to an A and G-Body...which leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think if you could get me some confirmed interest and let folks know that I could probably talk Jim into it....

But I'd need to have something solid to work from, and my guess is... telling Caprice/Impy owners that Crown Vics have Watts would go over like a lead balloon.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Chrome-Moly is stronger than mild that's true... but not twice as strong, and there is twice as little frame there.

FWIW, Steeda used CM as well on their S197 Watts, and it's suspiciously like the Fays unit. And remember this a company that has access to Ford Engineering and their technology transfer program. Maybe you (generically) are a hater of Ford, could be and that just turns you off. Hope not, I have a Mustang too, and both cars have strengths and both has issues. I use things I learn on each to help with the other (you can do that!).

Just for the record, here is a Steeda Mustang Watts for you to look at--made of Chrome-Moly.

Compare to a Fays2 Watts for the same car (S197 Mustang):

And compare that to a Fays2 Watts for the F-body:

Chrome-Moly isn't a magic pill that suddenly makes things bulletproof. It's stronger than mild, yes... but not enough so that you can run say half as much material. When you guys make CM LCA's you don't run tubing half the size?

Look, to each his own. YMMV, etc., etc.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 12-10-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sam, I just sent you a PM regarding the b-body.

Quick Reply: Anyone Build Their Own Watts Link?